The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone - got out twice and figured I'd write them both up...

Trip 1-

Took my daughter to the zoo for 2-3 hours on the 4th as I had promised I would earlier in the week. After stops at Dunkin Doughnuts and 7-11 we hit the reservoir at 7am to cloudy skies and a good south wind. As I rowed us towards the main lake I spot a few boils of bait. Told my daughter to toss the jitterbug in that direction as I worked a Sammy. After a few casts I stopped to setup her 2nd rod. She made a few more casts and then turned and asked where her lure went? I looked up to see her line slack, but coming at us!!! I tell her to reel fast which she does and eventually catches up to a little smallie. Using the ultra-light rod it gave her a good fight and after netting it she was ecstatic with her first topwater “little mouth” fish. Needless to say I couldn’t pry that rod or lure out of her hands the rest of the morning…. Even as she tried to fish it in small chop out on the main lake.

After I boated a 2lb class largemouth on a drop shot on the main lake, I asked if she wanted to try it… she said no (still casting the jitterbug), but would reel in a fish if I hooked one… I guess that’s a good deal for her!!! After a bit, I hook into what I thought was another small one, as it just seemed to run in circles after I set the hook… I handed her the rod and say to keep the tip up… at that point – the fish decides to go deeper and try to bury in the weeds… it had the rod bent real good and I see her starting that “arms extended” body position and looking like my rod is about to get dragged out of the boat, look so I grab it up in front of the reel and help her steady it as she pulls in what was a nice 3lb class fish. Of course after pictures she says it’s time to go – I don’t argue and figure better to leave early and happy than later and upset!!!

Trip Two –

Got back out to the same resi today with my boating partner Tom from 5:30 – 3:30. The sun was out; water at 77 first thing in the morning and the southwest wind was pretty steady building to down right strong in the afternoon with little whitecaps pushing us around.

We hit the main lake right off the bat and in the first hour or so only boat one 2lb class fish drifting with the wind then, rowing back and repeating the drift again… Tom lost a nice 3-4lb at the boat that we both got a good laugh about as I had just lost one right before him and was taking some heat for it. For us that was the start as we both dropped a good 6-8 fish between us as weak hook sets or acrobatics near the boat that seemed to be the escape plan of almost ever fish we hooked into.

After the 2 drops and one “standard largie” we made a big move and decided to row as far as we could into the wind and have it push us back for the rest of the morning, praying that the wind direction wouldn’t change… which for once it didn’t. Drifting with the wind and anchoring at times we targeted points and weedbeds and boated a solid more 12 fish this way. Spinnerbaits and cranks over and around the weeds did most of the damage with a few coming on plastics as well. On the way back to the launch, we stopped in our first “morning” location again, anchored up and started with the spinnerbaits as the hard wind /water was pushing the weeds down good. We hook up with 3 fish quick and then I lose a nice smallie tail dancing my spinnerbait out of the mouth. I then rig up a nice 5inch swimbait and immediately nail one the first cast. Two more casts, another. Then 5 minutes later I get a good bite… pull it in the boat and can’t believe my eyes but I swear this is the same 5lb fish I caught last week. It weighed barely an ounce or so more but the big head and ripped tail I’m pretty sure it’s the same girl. Last week I got her on a jig maybe 150 yards from where I got her today. Both times very nice fights and she was released with me telling her I’d see her again soon!!!

Overall it was a nice day, a bit on the hot/windy side, but put a solid mix of 15-17 SM/LM in the boat, which made us reasonably happy with the day.

Thanks for reading.

J.

Attachments

·
Size Matters
3,347 Posts
Congrats on having your own "Pet" five pounder.

Cool that your daughter knows when to call it a day.

JIM

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Bronx Zoo or Central Park?

I didn`t know fishing was allowed at the Bronx Zoo? The Central Park Zoo is another matter. Central Park has some good fishing. Anyway, it`s cheating catching the same fish over & over again. Your daughter has more integrity.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn`t know fishing was allowed at the Bronx Zoo? The Central Park Zoo is another matter. Central Park has some good fishing. Anyway, it`s cheating catching the same fish over & over again. Your daughter has more integrity.:laugh:
So a person who has you set the hook on a fish and they reel it in and take the photo with the fish has more integrity than someone who catches the same fish twice!!!! I gotta see these rules written at some point!!!! LOL!!!

J.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.