The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yanks just resigned LeMahieu - which I LOVE - BUT.... he's 32 and it's a 6 year deal. I just don't get why they consistently sign guys into their late 30's.

I really like LeMahieu - he'd fit right in with those late 90's Yank teams - quiet, plays hard, puts ball in play, plays multiple positions... I do like him... but expecting that to continue at a high level for 6 more years... uuugghhhh. He'll be good for 2 - maybe 3... then we'll be stuck for 3 more.

Why can't they throw money at the young guys (like Torres / Judge) a little early and get a discount through their prime years then let them leave when they are 32-34.... Robby Cano was perfect example of guy they picked right time to walk away and not pay - he had 2 decent seasons since leaving, rest of years under what he did as a Yank.

J.

·
Administrator
21,656 Posts
they are strapped for money, as they approach the luxury threshold: what they should have done, is signed him for MORE money, but less years.....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are strapped for money, as they approach the luxury threshold: what they should have done, is signed him for MORE money, but less years.....
Exactley.... and they just signed Kluber...... for 1 year... which is perfect. If he's good - great - we got a deal....if he sucks - he'll spot pitch in jams and he's gone at the end of the season.

Those 90's teams had that rock solid "young core 4" but what made it work was the older guys they got with short deals who wanted to win.... Brosius, Boggs, Fielder, Gooden, Cone, etc etc.... they don't win those series without those guys... Watson was smart to sign 1 old guy a year to a short deal and let the others move on. It's when they started the "big signing - long contracts" method under Cashman that they lost it..... Giambi, A-Rod, Mussina, Johnson.... granted great players... but there is something to be said for paying a "core" and sprinkling in old guys with 1-2 seasons left that just wanna do whatever is necessary to win.

J.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts