The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-losing Nick Johnson for possibly all three games. On base percentage leader/better feilder than Giambi- minus

2-pitchers now batting/ loss of DH- minus

3-Pro Player stadium Grass-tro-turf. Hard skipping liners will really test Yankee out fielders. The infield will be very fast too. -minus

4-The deep park is difficult place to hit homers and will test weak Yankee outfielding arms.- minus

Do you think that players are worrying and will be affected by Garcia and Nelson and the ridiculous impending assault charges in Boston and the allegations of Giambi's involvement in the drug supplement investigation? It is an unneccesary distraction. -minus
Beckett and Mussina should be a great match up.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
One thing for the Marlins to keep in mind

We aint the "cubbies"

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but of all the Yankee teams in the playoffs in recent times, this is the weakest Yankee team. Plus the Cubs are cursed just like the Sux.

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
Mussina is 0-3 with a 4.66 ERA in three starts.
you goota see that as a factor in tonights game. also beckett has been pitching better.. a key factor in game 7. not looking for BS and smoke and mirrors leigh.. just an observation of many sports writers out there. yeah, the yanks are not the cubbies, but it's anybodys series right now, and the edge goes to the winner. at this point i like to see NYY win as a new yorker, so i look at all of the angles.

l&k robbie

PS wanna argue about it... we can get deleted. i'll take the deletion in 8 posts for 10$

·
1,252 Posts
1-losing Nick Johnson for possibly all three games. On base percentage leader/better feilder than Giambi- minus

If the Yanks have a lead in the 7th look for NJ as a defensive replacement.

FL faces the same adjustment.

3-Pro Player stadium Grass-tro-turf. Hard skipping liners will really test Yankee out fielders. The infield will be very fast too. -minus
If there are many hard skipping liners that represents a failure on the part of Yanking pitching. If the pitching fails the Yanks will lose.
4-The deep park is difficult place to hit homers and will test weak Yankee outfielding arms.
"We measured the distance to the left-field wall down the line to be 327.5 feet whereas the number on the wall is 330 feet. The distance to the right-field wall down the line is 347.25 feet but is labeled as 345 feet. And, the distance to the right-field power alley wall is 369.3 feet but is labeled as 385 feet."

So the Yanks don't hit homers. I'll settle for a couple of triples and a scattering of doubles to go with it.

Come on Earthy pretty soon you'll have a Yankee doll and be sticking it full of pins.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Robbie,
I am not going to comment as

I FEAR THE EVIL TYRANT! LOL

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A hard fast infield greatly benifits the Fish with Pierre and Castillo at the top of the order and of course the Marlins are very used to the pitcher hittting. tonights pitching match up is very good.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
earthworm77 said:

4-The deep park is difficult place to hit homers and will test weak Yankee outfielding arms.- minus

Do you think that players are worrying and will be affected by Garcia and Nelson and the ridiculous impending assault charges in Boston and the allegations of Giambi's involvement in the drug supplement investigation? It is an unneccesary distraction. -minus
Beckett and Mussina should be a great match up.
1. Johnson now comes off the bench as a good contact hitter w/ a good eye and plays a better 1st base than Giambi. Great guy to pinch hit and play the field late in the game.
2. Both teams are losing the D.H....wash.
3. Pierre's bunts will make it to the 1st and 3rd baseman a little quicker now.
4. Bernie is the only one w/ a below average arm.
The team is too excited to remember that B.S. in Boston...non-factor..that was 3 games ago. Yanks in 6...

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my points are valid Paul. True I'm no Yankee fan and would like to see them lose but:

1. Johnson now comes off the bench as a good contact hitter w/ a good eye and plays a better 1st base than Giambi. Great guy to pinch hit and play the field late in the game.

True but he is a better all around player and you have to be in a bind to really need him. If your leading....good defense switch in the late innings. What he'll DH once maybe twice in three games? To sit on the bench is to lose sharpness.

2. Both teams are losing the D.H....wash.
No chance this is a wash. National league pitchers bat all year. Yankee pitchers started taking cuts last Friday. Roger will not be able to intimidate because he must bat. This is why the Yanks will lose when he pitches.

3. Pierre's bunts will make it to the 1st and 3rd baseman a little quicker now.
Doubt this too since he's only been doing it all year.

4. Bernie is the only one w/ a below average arm.
The team is too excited to remember that B.S. in Boston...non-factor..that was 3 games ago.
All of your outfielders are lacking a cannon. Matsui has a weak arm too. I'm calling them as I see them not as a Yank fan. This team is far from the dominant 21-3 team that started the season.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Thank You EW. How can the DH thing be a wash, national league pitchers hit EVERY at least once a game(99.9%) and let's not forget this is the Marlins home field do you think that Pierre and Castillo got all those bunt hits and infield singles at road games?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
How many pitchers in the N.L. hit over .200?? How many on the Marlins?? So N.L. pitchers look a little better while striking out than A.L. pitchers. Frankly, I think it's an embarassment to the game to see "pros" go to the plate and look like my daughters swinging a bat. Thank God for the D.H..Yes, they may bunt better, I'll give you that. Pitchers at bat a factor..no way.
Roger will not be able to intimidate because he must bat?????? I hope the Marlins know this. His name alone intimidates opponents. I sure the Marlins are having a few nightmares these days.

Matsui has a good arm and gets to the ball as fast as anyone.
I'd rather worry about infeild hits and bunts than Ortiz and Nixon taking you deep.

Lastly...Don't be surprised if it sounds alot like Yankee Stadium tonight down in Fla...Alot of ex-NewYorkers in Fla..So much for home feild advantage.;)

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you can't throw at somebody's head because you too must get up at the plate, you lose the intimidation factor. Keep in mind many of these guys never played against Roger. Roger is on his way out and I'm sure everyone knows this. I don't think anyone gets too scared when the face him. Don't get me wrong, he is a great pitcher just not intimidating like he was say 3 or 4 yrs ago.
Did you watch Beckett through 95MPH chin music to Sammy? I saw it and so will Giambi. I'd be more worried about that. Unless I'm watching a different team, Matsui has better arm than Bernie but I wouldn't take that as a compliment. No big guns in the outfield will hurt keeping the speed players from taking advantage. Nothing spectacular. I'm not sure of Marlins pitchers batting averages but I'd guess they will hit better than Yankee pitchers.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
earthworm77 said:
When you can't throw at somebody's head because you too must get up at the plate, you lose the intimidation factor. Keep in mind many of these guys never played against Roger. Roger is on his way out and I'm sure everyone knows this. I don't think anyone gets too scared when the face him. Don't get me wrong, he is a great pitcher just not intimidating like he was say 3 or 4 yrs ago.
Did you watch Beckett through 95MPH chin music to Sammy? I saw it and so will Giambi. I'd be more worried about that. Unless I'm watching a different team, Matsui has better arm than Bernie but I wouldn't take that as a compliment. No big guns in the outfield will hurt keeping the speed players from taking advantage. Nothing spectacular. I'm not sure of Marlins pitchers batting averages but I'd guess they will hit better than Yankee pitchers.
I don't think going to the plate will stop him from scaring a few guys.. He'll still be intimidating till his last pitch and more so if you never faced "the legend" before. Add to that it's a World Series game and I'm sure a few Marlins will look like deer in the headlights after facing the Rocket.
Sure they are going to try for the extra bases and get some. It's a team strength. Pitching is ours and you have to hit the ball first.
I think Yankee pitching will be the difference.
In today's Daily News...Beckett is a .119 career hitter w/ 36 K's. in 84 ABs. Mussina is 8-37 w/ 6K's....Advantgage Yanks and the A.L..

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
They have 4 starters that can go up against anyone #1 guy.

They have Mariano.

Jeter is F'n incredible in the clutch.

I'm no band wagon jumper. But I can appreciate great play. I love this game.

PS. Soriano gets post season record. 22 k's. Too bad he don't pitch.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Looks like the Yanks were able to go deep in a ballpark where your not suppose to...who would have thought? Moose was in command all night. I think I was wrong on an earlier post..Yanks in 6....make that Yanks in 5.

And for you NFL fans...."how bout them COWBOYS!!!"
:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ummm, another thing to consider:

Yankees payroll: 164+million/year

Marlins Payroll: 53+ million/year

Uhhhh, they ought to win. Enjoy it, because the rest of the world doesn't. I would be soooooo 'proud' to BUY a world series.

I won't watch it for that reason, but, that's just me. Bust on me all you want, I'm entitled to my opinion.

·
1,252 Posts
Since the Yankee fans support their team they can afford to spend more on players. It's not the Yankees fault other fans don't support their teams. In fact the Yankees pay a payroll tax to support other teams and many owners simply pocket the money and put a poor product on the field.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts