The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on White Pond. Has anyone fished there and can you post a map?

Thanks,
Broadbill

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Frank, I will go on later tonight and give you the full skinny on this water!!!!!

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Frank: White pond was an exceptional fishing place, actually a well kept secret.....then, they got cute and decided to do a whole bunch of work constructing access docks for handicapped people and in doing so, drew the water down quite a bit, right in the middle of a hot summer!

the result: oxygen deprivation and a MASSIVE fish kill......

before that, not only was the fishing excellent, but there was a WAlleye program that was flourishing pretty well.......

White Pond is a good 125 acres or more and has extensive weed beds throughout, and a big expanse of hard bottomed 15 to 17 feet or so in the middle....there are many rock ledges or shelves visible when the water is low around a lot of the shorelines, that can be fish magnets at times......

it was restocked mostly with fish taken from Fahnstock park, specifically, Canopus lake from there......

it was given a big infusion of yellow perch yearlings 2 years ago........

last year, we caught Crappie, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Yellows, Largemouth and it is rumored to even have Northern pike scattered about.......the Walleye are starting to come back somewhat also, but they might still be undersized......

the LM have grown fast since the fish kill ( approximately 5 or 6 years ago) and Gregg and I , one day, pulled in quite a few fat 3 pounders on there, and I have seen Gregg take in one that was probably the better of 4 pounds.........

it will improve each year......

a DEC lake, has a state launch that is in good condition but very narrow.....not a lot of parking room, it tends to get a bit crowded on WEEKENDS in the summer.....

lots to explore and learn about that lake, I have not begun to scratch the surface for sure, but I will hit it a couple of times next year again........

trolling motor allowed!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I fished it two years ago when they closed down the reservoirs in 9/01...I had some great morning topwater action there and caught some willing porker LMs...It looked like lots of different things were going on there as John said, species-wise and structure-wise...Definitely was worth the trip to investigate...

I think a guy from here at NYBass named Jared C fishes there fairly often...

Mark D

Oh, plenty of yellow perch too...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fish there all the time!! I live about 40 minutes from it and its some of the best fishing around.

I got quite a few 3lbers there this year and pulled a few 12+ hour days on that lake. It's 140 acres and very nice deep weedbeds (8ft+). This lake has been steadily improving over the last couple of years since the fish kill. I didn't know it was because of the drawdown that killed the fish, I thought the weeds were sprayed. But anyway, the lake has come back wonderfully.

There is a profound rock edge that circles almost the entire lake. The rock/boulder ledge creats great large spawning flats.

I had a few 20+ fish days on White Pond. Brush Hogs, tubes, and worms taking most fish. There will be alot of 4-5 pounders in there this year. I can't wait to hit it in a few months.

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Drbass's homing pidgeon directions to White POnd!!LOL....

684 north to 84 WEST

exit 17 off 84 West......

after exit make a left and go UNDER the overpass of 84, as you come out of the overpass, make the first right turn, this is 52 North......at this turn, there is an excellent Hess station with a full blown mini-mart!

after about a mile heading north on 52, make a left turn onto Milltown Road.....stay on this road, you will pass a private lake on the left, a little past this lake, the road then changes name to White Pond Road....after about 2 miles, you will see the entrance for White Pond on the left...

again: Trailers allowed, trollers allowed......and again, VERY busy on Weekends, narrow ramp maneuvering, however, once you go down the ramp, there is a nice dock on your right that extends out into the water making entry or docking very easy.......

as Fishinut pointed out, there is that distinct rock layer/ledge around many of the shallows, be careful with your trolling motor,,,,very very easy to smash it here!!!

I have seen days there where you fight over who throws to a rock first because you know that is where the fish will be positioned.......

go back and read the reply by the Fishinut again, as always, he is right on, still getting used to the maturity level of this 17 yr older here......

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
by the way: these are the type of threads I love to see on Places to fish: people asking for info and then getting straight from the horse's mouth!

once the season starts, however, I really like to see people givin' it up and telling about their exploits on waters such as these....

what makes White Pond such a RARITY in these parts is that we have so FEW DEC lakes, with Trolling motors allowed ( small waters) that are not Regulated, special permitted, etc and so forth....

a rarity......

free unmolested fishing.....we need more of these types of waters but they are few and far between:

the reservoirs, you need all the paperwork, and no trollers and boats in fixed mooring positions...

Mohansic: special permit $$$$
Wampus: special permit $$$$
Harriman Park: multi permits $$$$$

yes, multi: because on Harriman, you have to pay EXTRA for the gated entry to the BETTER lakes! a rip to be sure....if it maintains the park , so be it, money well collected....

but taken as a whole: anyone in Southern NY who wants to do small boat fishing from a jon, had better be able to cough up a lot of permit dough here and there.....

then for someone like myself, who also gets the CT out of state license ( at least those waters are launch free), and then when I do want to use the bass boat down here in NY, have to pay the launch fees at Whaley, Oscar and Maho......

YEESH! a lot of "fees" , don't even want to stop and add them up.....

and it is worse for the Long Island guys, because they have to eat up a full tank of gas, plus tolls and still pay the launch fees, etc........

man: and we were complaining about the price of a loomis?? you could buy several loomis's a year if you add up all the "extraneous" fishing expenses........

hey Gregg: do I have to add the coffee price when I catch the 13th fish? LOL....

Gregg and I have this thing when we fish: whoever catches the "unlucky" 13th fish, treats the other person to coffe and whatever at Dunkin' on the way home....

I have been nailed an inordinate number of times, he "just happens" to have to fix a "snarl" in his line when the 13th fish is up for grabs! LOL.......

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
The funny part is how long it took John to catch on! LMAO :D

A thumbs up to White pond nice place to fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ice Fishing Conditions

Is there ice on the Lake today. A friend and I would like to fish White if there are safe conditions. Does anyone know about the ice on Upton Lake in Dutchess too.
Thank you,

Evan :beerchug:

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Evan: until the recent cold days, it was unseasonably warm....

there is no way whatsoever, that there is safe ice to fish ANYWHERE in this part of the state right now, and probably most of upstate also....

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Evan, Go to ICESHANTY.COM
You can get reports and conditions from all different areas and states .
Barry

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was out on White Pond with a culb member last Oct late Oct first cast a 7lber yes I don't brag big but true. And I'm glad to have a witness We caught 20\25 bass that afternoon most on grubs some tubes and Ikas. The sizes other than big foot were about 2 and under. The tube bite was active on the shore line. Coming from the east it would be a right off Farmers Mill Road and from the Taconic it would be a left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts