The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First post ever on here. I've read a few posts here before when Googling new sites but never spent enough time on here to realize the abundance of knowledge in the forums. Spent most of my morning reading the forums for new places I could visit so I thought I'd share my findings from a trip yesterday. I plan to be around for a while and will earn my keeps :)

Went out to White Pond yesterday with my girlfriend in hopes of jigging some walleye. We went out on my inflatable boat and quickly realized that fishing wasn't going to work out as planned. The wind was so strong we got blown into the rock outcroppings on the southern shore over and over again. As soon as I stopped rowing we'd get blown another 10 feet. It would be better off for boats with a trolling motor. I brought a portable sonar, the FishHunter, but in the shallows it wasn't working very well.

Needless to say, no fish were caught. I did manage to scope out some promising spots though. At one point we were blown to the southeast corner of the pond riddled with downed trees. Unlike the shallow southwest corner and even the middle of the southern shore, the water was deeper and there weren't any visible rocks to snag on.

I would have liked to explore the entire perimeter of the lake and the dropoff in the middle but that doesn't look like it's going to happen if the wind continues to blow that hard this autumn. I just don't have the arm and chest muscles to row against the wind again.

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
welcome to the forum and a nice report!

when I used to fish that water, the walleyes would occupy the middle portions of the lake, which actually never got more than maybe 20 feet deep, at best....

Yesterday was EXCEPTIONALLY windy and a terrible day to be out on a small craft, trolling motor or otherwise, as you found out....

as you get more into this thing, make a regular practice of consulting 2 or 3 different weather sites online to check the amount and direction of winds for that day....

sometimes your choice , using a small craft , is dictated by the DIRECTION of the wind: look at satellite maps of the waters you want to fish and see what direction the winds will be coming from and whether you will have any protection or not: after many years of fishing on small craft, I can tell you that this type of anticipatory wind study is really necessary, not only to keep you from getting totally frustrated, but for safety reasons as well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome John! Definitely should have consulted the weather reports. The trip was too much of an "I'm bored. Let's go fishing" type of trip. Live and learn I suppose.

·
8,124 Posts
Nice report... you'll get them next time. Welcome to the forum.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
White's was tough before the lowered they pond to work on the dam. Can't imagine it now. Haven't fished it in over 10 years. Curious what's left to fish for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts