The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fish Fry?
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have $300 dollars to spend on a rod and reel. Which of the two are you willing to skimp on. How much are you spending on each. Remember $300 is the budget.

And why did you choose those items?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You have $300 dollars to spend on a rod and reel. Which of the two are you willing to skimp on. How much are you spending on each. Remember $300 is the budget.

And why did you choose those items?
Tough decisions for sure, I am assuming we are talking a casting set up. I really prefer Shimano for all my reels and I like them easy to palm. So I would go with the SLX 71 HG, I also like the Scorpion 151 HG, not as comfortable to palm , but a great reel. I prefer a little faster gear ratio, so I like something in the 7:1 range , but a 6:3 may be more universal, gear ratios come down to personal preference and what techniques/presentations you are aiming for. For rods, I like the Dobyns Champion XP and or the Sierra series, both well balanced and good sensitivity from my experiences , both on sale at tackle warehouse right now 30% off, I would go with the 704. Also, I have had very positive experiences with the Fenwick HMG rods , they go for $100.If you do the Fenwick ,you might be able to find it on sale for $80 and then you you could look to find a Bantam MGL or the new Curado 70 MGL on e bay for around $200. not easy to find but I did pick up a Bantam for $205 recently and I have seen the Curado 70 MGL for as low as $185. Just my two cents. Happy New Year!

SLX 71 HG $127
https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/category/select/cid/352/bid/49/pid/299455
Scorpion 151 HG $164
https://th.asian-portal.shop/category/select/cid/352/bid/49/pid/295261

·
Administrator
11,510 Posts
Not enough info!
Spinning or casting?
What are you using it for? You are not throwing a light jig on a frogging set up!
Jigging I want a better rod, jerkbait not so worried about it being as sensitive.
You get the idea.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
great point, Gregg, and the main reason I didn't answer the post....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
For $300 you should be able to get a very decent spinning or casting set up. There is a lot of decent product out there in that range. I used to fishing expensive set ups ( Kistler rods Pflueger Patriarch reels) until I lost one over the side of the boat. I now limit myself to $250 or less a rig and am very happy the Lews rods and reels I have been using. I am not a TX angler, just a recreational one.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
ED: I have set my ceiling on rigs way lower than even that....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Best way to get great gear at a great price is the used market. Some guys have to have the latest and greatest.... or just don't fish much and decide to sell off... I've gotten nearly 3/4 of all my reels on the used market and probably 1/2 my rods are either used or end of model close outs.

Some of my reels are priced well into the 400-500 dollar range new - I paid $150 used... yeah you have to do your homework and wait for right deal - yeah it's used, yeah its sometimes 5-6 years old and have some scratches... but high end stuff is still high end stuff even 5-6 years later - quality lasts.

Plus I don't sweat for one second getting a scratch on a reel or laying a rod down to land a fish - cause it's used... if I paid 500 for a reel/rod I'd be afraid to use it!! LOL!!

J.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The rod and reel would depend upon the techniques. If you’re using a jig or worm, put the money into the rod. You need the sensitivity to detect the baits. If you’re tossing crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, primarily horizontal presentations, you could use a bit better of a reel.
I presume you’re fishing for bass.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
I am so far passed the "gotta have it" stage of bass fishing....once you realize that 90 plus percent of bass fishing is LOCATION, everything else is just a tool to get the job done....

these days, the quality of your map, and your sonar, are way more important.....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yes, John I agree, that is my limit, but my average rigs are about $150 ea, Lews offers good rods the TP! series that run $99 ea, (they make a great Ned Rig Rod), I have Lews and Diawa spinning reels that run $50-$75. I know most would consider these lower end rigs. The rods are sensitive and the reels fit my style and usage. Which goes back to the original thread, MDBasser are you a TX or rec angler. If you fish a lot of Tx's you need better equipment to hold up to the rigors of fishing more often. If you are a rec angler and fish a few times a month you can economize. As I previously stated, technology has come a long way as has production methods. For $300 you will have a really good selection of rods and reels to choose from.

·
Fish Fry?
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not enough info!
Spinning or casting?
What are you using it for? You are not throwing a light jig on a frogging set up!
Jigging I want a better rod, jerkbait not so worried about it being as sensitive.
You get the idea.
Your choice.....just use the $300 for the best all around setup at that price

·
Fish Fry?
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which goes back to the original thread, MDBasser are you a TX or rec angler.
I am a recreational angler and at the moment my fishing is from the shore. Which requires me to walk a lot. One of my favorite lakes I can easily walk 3 to 5 miles in a fishing trip. I refuse to carry around 5 - 10 setups with me. I have paired back my tackle to 3 tackle boxes because its just to much to carry around a huge bag.

Less is more...that pertains to the tackle and the money spent

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Based on where you fish you may be best suited with a Med action spining set up which is pretty much a mutli purpose set up and you should be able to set up a rig for a lot less than the $300 range you wanted to stay under.Good luck and good fishing.

·
Crass Angler
9,907 Posts
I'd be looking for a MH/F rod and a 6 or 7:1 casting reel. I'd balance the two, spending close to half on each. I'm not a big fan of braid, but for versatility sake, 50# braid, and some 12-15# fluoro leader for when you want to use a leader, would be a good rig for 90% of bass power fishing techniques. If you are more finesse oriented, then the spinning recommendations will be fine. As far as brands go, I like Daiwa and Shimano Reels and for rods Saint Croix. With your budget, that pretty much means a Mojo Bass and Tatula or SLX MGL reel. Power Pro braid and Seaguar Blue Label leader for line. If you aren't a braid person, 15# Inxisx will have you covered.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The rod. It has more skin in the game it has to cast smoothly and accurately and transmit vibration back to you. Not that the reel is just a line holder, but the rod is more in the game most of the time. IMHO

·
Registered
59 Posts
These are just tools and price should not matter. What feels good, lasts are what counts. I still like your question because it gives me a chance to talk up the Scheels brand. Scheels is a large, mid west sporting goods chain that has a pretty goods mail order business. I tried 3 of their rods last year; one for backup. GREAT quality for the price and they have many sales. The two I chose are light, strong and have great sensitivity...and they just feel good to handle. I usually don't talk about gear beyond lures but these rods are just really great. I think I paid $50 for my first one and noticed it was on sale when I went to pick up a second on 1.5 months later. They refunded me the difference for the first one and let me put that towards the second. They offer lower and higher priced rods too but the ones I landed on have performed great.

·
Crass Angler
9,907 Posts
Budget is really helpful to know. There's no sense recommending a rod that is far out of reach, or a downgrade for the person asking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since you mentioned you'll be fishing from shore, I would recommend a Medium/ Fast spinning setup. IMO it is better to spend most of the money on a rod with a good lifetime warranty like a Loomis, Dobyns or St. Croix. Buy a solid but reasonably priced spinning reel like the Daiwa Tournament SS. They have good drags and last a long time. Reel makers usually only keep parts for a reel for a few years after it is made so if you have trouble after that you are out of luck. A rod with a good warranty can be sent back to the manufacturer anytime for servicing or replacement if it breaks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts