The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my 1st res boat and have gotten out a few times. I've been seeing these schools of shiners and sometimes they are breaking the surface as if they are running from predators. I've seen a couple nice bass rolling as well. I'm throwing the kitchen sink. Cranks, swimbaits, top water, spoons, phoebes, spinnerbaits etc. No love. Any suggestions how to approach this?

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
i sometimes have luck with topwater. What you are describing is how it goes....I imagine the fish are pretty content eating the school of baitfish.
I have wasted many an hour chasing those around the ressies...at least you're seeing bass roll them. if not, dont even bother casting...you'll get some of them to bite but it's tough!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Doesn't always work, but I have had some success in that situation by throwing a spinner bait into the splash and retrieving fast. When it gets hit (and not always) it happens when the bait breaks the edge of the frenzy. It can be productive but it's all about timing. I give it a couple tries, if no hits I move on to other approaches.

·
catch & release
216 Posts
I find some success with this when I'm fishing reservoirs with small mouth . I never have any luck on reservoirs that have mainly large mouth. If I am seeing small mouth blow up on the bait I'll throw a drop shot with a shad type bait. Once they hit the surface I find they already moved down a liitle to hit my top water , at least this year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did well with a Rapala Fat Rap in white ripping under the school. Caught 5-6 LMB and 3 14" yellow perch that way. I wouldn't match the hatch here, but step up to a predator fish that's chasing the bait.

Aside from injured baitfish, the next easiest meal is one that's not paying attention while chasing bait.

·
Multi-Species Angler
207 Posts
Super fluke, nose hooked !

Skip it across the top then kill it and let it sink a few feet. If no strike give it one last little twitch/shimmy..If not, reel in and do over...Works great for me.

Good luck ! ;)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Addicted that works for me as well. Other luck is the Storm pumpkinseed, bluegill, or perch soft plastics. I bring beginners out with me. We chase bubbling pools and I have them cast and retrieve through the middle of them and they are thrilled with the results

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Bettencourt dying bluegill is my favorite but it's $40 price tag keeps some away. My rod was bent for an hour and half in a feeding frenzy. Sometimes I pulled one in another one was trying to get it away from the hooked fish. I lost a big bass right at my yak and when the lure popped out of that fishes mouth, it hit the water and a bigger bass slammed into my kayak trying to get it. That was nuts, but it was just being at the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've "chased" busting bait on certain Viors and couldn't get anything to bite - and others if I toss a topwater within 30 feet of them I can pull up something. Not sure why, but seems like certain places it works and others it doesn't.

My go-to baits are always a topwater first (LC Gunfish/ Zara Spook/ Sammy) and if that doesn't work something weightless... senko/fluke.

J.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.