The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely new to fishing having gone only five times, three of which was this past week. When I went pier fishing today, I had this terminal tackle item which is very common, but I don't know its name. It's basically about 18 inches of metal wire that terminates with a sinker. About a 12 inches from the end, another 3 inch metal wire sticks out perpendicularly from the main metal wire. You tie your hook/lure with a short bit of fishing line to this 3 inch part that sticks out and it prevents the hook from getting tangled with the sinker line. There may be more than one perpendicular wire, allowing multiple hooks to be attached. The general idea seems to be called a "double bottom rig," but I'm looking for one that is stiff wire to prevent tangles.

It looks like the following picture:
http://www.carolina-coastal-fishing.com/image-files/wirebottomrig.jpg

Stupid, I know. I tried googling and looking at various online fishing stores to get a real diagram, but I couldnt find anything. This device was very helpful in preventing my hook from wrapping around the sinker line, but it ultimately got snagged and my line broke. I'm trying to get another one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think its just a 3 way rig made of wire. Most veteran saltwater guys don't use those as they can tie a pretty good one by using dropper loops and such. They usually cost around .50 to 1.50 each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.