The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mystery I'm hoping someone can help me solve. I just got back from a week at Raquette Lake - fishing was pretty good, but somewhat sporadic.

Anyway, one afternoon I was paddling my kayak back to camp while trolling a deep diving Rapala, pretty much on the bottom (17-18 feet). When I started getting into shallow water, I reeled it in and impaled on one of the hooks was this crazy crab/insect looking creature.

It was brownish/grey. The body looked like a stink bug and was a little larger than a silver dollar. It had four long legs probably 2.5-3 inches long that had a single joint about halfway along the leg.

It was still moving, but unfortunately it fell off before I was able to get a photo of it.

I've spent a couple hours Googling NYS freshwater insects and freshwater crustaceans, but I haven't come across anything that looks like it.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be or pulled one up from the depths?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Sure it wasn't a monster crawdad? If it had its tail tucked under it may have looked a little strange. I have had plenty of freak mystery fish where I was like what in the hell! I had something at rockland lake that looked like it was half frog, half fish that got off before I could get a good look at it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a Hemipteran, a Giant water bug is a "true bug". Beetles are members of the order Coleoptera. As a child I was once bitten by one of these critters and I still need occasional therapy. Adult Giant water bugs occasionally leave the water and can be found around street lights and such. rRafterman probably say one of the late stage nymphs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry guys, didn't mean to post and run, but I was away for a few days.

Thanks for all of the input. I wasn't sure it was a giant water bug until I googled and looked at a few more images.

The picture below looks exactly like what I hooked. Now that I see it again, I recall thinking "I don't think I want to touch that." And from what you guys said and what I just read, I was right.

More fish, less bugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to post and run, but I was away for a few days.

Thanks for all of the input. I wasn't sure it was a giant water bug until I googled and looked at a few more images.

The picture below looks exactly like what I hooked. Now that I see it again, I recall thinking "I don't think I want to touch that." And from what you guys said and what I just read, I was right.

More fish, less bugs.
the first time I ever saw one, was a few years ago and I was at a car dealership on my commercial Z mower and the thing flew and landed on my leg. I just stopped and stared at it, then grabbed it on the back and tossed it....I went home and googled it and found out what it really was. Pretty freaky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts