The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input....

B'day right around the corner....and am getting some ideas together.

Reasons why pole favored greatly appreciated...

Oh, and I have not won lottery.....LOL

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
Shimano Compre- 6'6" med with a soft tip.
For weightless plastics I personally I like a longer rod for more leverage, stiff back bone for hook setting power and a soft tip so it doesn't tear the bait on the cast. A soft tip tends to load the bait better on the cast giving me more distance.

G

·
Bill

Do yourself a favor...Go to Broadbill's Store or one that carries different brands and go through a few brands and choose one that feels right to YOU...
I think from prior rod conversations that EVERYONE has their own opinions..
My Preference is a St Croix Avid in 6'6" or if I am fishing DEEP a 7" Medium Fast Avid Spinning Blank.
The beauty is these and ALL rods can be used for other applications as well.
I constantly check the net for New "Used" equipment that is at least 30-40% off of list price.
Good Luck and let us know what you come up with.
Woody

·
8,124 Posts
Re: Bill

Woody said:
Do yourself a favor...Go to Broadbill's Store or one that carries different brands and go through a few brands and choose one that feels right to YOU...
I think from prior rod conversations that EVERYONE has their own opinions..
Woody: Very well stated, I agree with you 100% !

Bill: I totally go "against the grain" when it comes to selecting a rod for weighless plastics. Even though I use braid line exclusively....my rods are all stiff pool cues ! I can guarantee the majority will not agree with my selection in this case.

Good luck....

Ronnie

·
Registered
241 Posts
I generally like to use heavier gear and power fish with the senko mostly, so I usually throw it on a 7'M Fenwick Techna AV. If I am skipping under cover though, I use a 6'6"M St Croix Avid. These are just my preferences.
ScottB

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Bill,
Like Woody Said!

FYI: I use a 6' MH Bionic Blade with 8lb Hybrid ONLY!

·
Registered
18 Posts
senko RODS

first, a pole is something you put electric lines on (Just kidding) I use a loomis rod, 7ft glx or 844 because you sometimes have to cast a long ways because of clear water and if you get bit out there you have to move a lot of line quick.

·
Banned
5,935 Posts
For whatever eason I am comfortable with a 7' M action Shimano Compre spinning rod for my 5" unweighted senko fishing.

I think you'll find sensitivity somewhat less important in this type of fishing because the fish tend to hold onto the bait longer. A little heavier action will help you get better hooksets and pull fish from cover more effectively.

Mark

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Rod

6' ML St. Croix Premier
2" cut off butt of rod
Hook Keeper clipped off

Tectan 8.8# line

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
I totally go "against the grain" when it comes to selecting a rod for weighless plastics.
I guess you could say I go against the grain on this topic as well. 99% of my open water Senko fishing is done with a medium 6'6" YAD Discovery series CASTING rod, combined with an older 1600 Abu Garcia Black Max. With this combo, I string it up with 10 lb Vanish Flouro.

It just feels right to me.... :D

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
kistler

I had Kistler make me a 2 pc 6'6 wacky worm special. I have a quantum catalyst with 8lb realine on it. A lot of back bone with is not always needed when wacky worming as the hook just seems to set itself without much effort by just a sweep to the side. I will appreciate it when I texas rig it or use one of Craigs new tubes I bought.

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
I quote NOEL:

"It just feels right to me"

that says it all.....as we can see from the diversity of opinions here and the satisfaction with what people are using.....

also, I have to agree with REEF, "Pole" sounds so retro to me, sort of like showing your age! LOL.....( I should talk!).....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use a 6'6" Medium Mitchell Fulcrum spinning rod with an Okuma Aria and 8-10lb mono. It's not a very good rod, but I don't throw senko much and much of my senko or senko style bait fishing is done line watching or feeling weight when I pick up on the bait. I've never really experienced a real tick or thump when fishing a senko so I don't see a great need for a real sensitive rod. Most of the time the fish just starts swimming with the bait or sucks it in and stays put. If I threw more of these types of baits I would definatly have a higher quality rod, but for now this does the trick. As far as comfort goes....this may be one of the most comfortable rods I own and it balances perfectly which is a main key in comfort. This is all for wacky rigged senkos....

When I throw texas rigged senkos, it is done on a 6'6 Bionic Blade in either Med or Med Heavy action, depending on conditions

When my dad throws senkos he uses a fairly long and stout baitcaster....this is just his preference. He didn't use the senko much this year, but in years past he threw the senko to death....and baitcasters were all he used.

If the rod I use now for wacky rigged senkos wasn't comfortable, there is no doubt in my mind I wouldn't be using it. Wacky rigged senkos is all I use this rod for so 90% of the time it stays home or sits in the boat untouched. Comfort is all this rod has going for it!!

This is the way I see it(I could be totally wrong and if I am please point it out).......Fishing a senko does not require a great deal of feel such as fishing a jig or tube. If you want a very sensitive rod for fishing senkos then go for it, but the way a bass hits a jig is different from the way it hits a senko, so an extremly high quality rod is not necessary. Whether you use spinning rods or baitcasters and what kind of line you use is all personal preference and it varies greatly from person to person because not everyone has the same comfort level.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bass Rat said:
Shimano Compre- 6'6" med with a soft tip.
For weightless plastics I personally I like a longer rod for more leverage, stiff back bone for hook setting power and a soft tip so it doesn't tear the bait on the cast. A soft tip tends to load the bait better on the cast giving me more distance.
Bass rats got the right idea. I use the same as him except a MH model instead of M. It still has a soft tip and nice backbone for the fight.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
6,547 Posts
i agree with the longer rod also.i use a 7foot 6 inch medium bionic bladewith a quantam classic or basspro round bait caster.i use 10 pound fluro carbon.with this settup i can cast a mile.

·
Frogaholic for life!
768 Posts
6'6" Bionic Blade w/ a Stradic
and 14 lb Fireline.
This is fishing heavy weed edges
Texas rigged weightless Senkos

Let us know what you end up with

:cool:

:beerchug: :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts