The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys are using. I think it's time to upgrade the hooks on my jerkbaits and crankbaits, and I haven't had time time to experiment with anything aftermarket yet. I did buy a couple packs of size 1 Mustad short shank hooks for deep divers, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I hate the fact that Mustad is made in China now, and would like to find something else better and made in the USA if possible. If the Mustads are the best I'll use them......but want to know about what else is out there.

Any thoughts on the best replacement trebles?

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
i think the mustad short shank KVD are the best for cranks. they really hook everything. i'm just getting to enjoy the fact you can use a bigger short shank hook on cranks....really sticks them without affecting retrieve in most crankbait cases i've encountered. You'll be happy when you fish yours.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Only piece of advice is to watch what you swap to on jerkbaits from a size/weight perspective... a different hook weight will effect how they work or suspend. I try to weigh split rings/hooks and match up weight wise for jerkbaits... if anything I go heavier as I'd rather a little sink than rise.

J.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I was looking to do the same since I lost a whale the other night on terrible jitterbug hooks..my biggest issue is figuring out what size rings and hooks I need..I know some tackle site give some hook specs on lures..but not on all..

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I put the Mustad KVD crankbait hooks on all my crankbaits and jerkbaits. I lost alot of big fish last year from them straightening the hooks right out on bombers, strike kings and a few lucky crafts. One was in the 8.xx lb range. That was a hard lesson learned. Even the lucky crafts brand new out of the box. The hook up ratio is much better with them.

if you are fishing with braid, you are more prone to bending hooks. Mono, not so much. With braid, when you set that hook and its a big one, it doesnt take much to bend a hook. I have only bent one Mustad KVD hook this year. Actually, it snapped off.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Owner St-36... Size and weight match up well with other lures... Come in red too. I kinda like that VMC hook, sureset?? with the extra long deal... I've had look putting that on the back of some lures...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.