The New York Bass Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Something new!

Thanks for the opportunity to tell what I learned this year!

1. I learned about wacky rigging senkos that I am now called 'Wacky Wandy' by my fishing buddy and bought a rod for just that!

2. I learned that big fish are a subway ride away! Central Park has BIG fish!

3. Learned to Pitch.

4. Learned to cast with my left hand.

5. Learned that you can learn new techniques on the internet.

6. Learned how to tie a couple of really strong knots.

7. Good fishing is not always good catching.

What haven't I learned...yet?

1. How to use my bottom line fishin buddy accurately.

2. How to drop shot.

3. How/where/when to fish deep.

4. Flipping.

G

·
What have I learned this year? Tough question to answer in a few lines but I will try:D

1. To observe nature around me and let my "friends" show me where the fish are! To float up on a Great Blue Heron and look into his eyes are (to me) a look into one's soul. They are what I think of when I hear the phrase," Old Soul"! I watch them closely!

2. This season, as in seasons past... I have been shared the water with Osprey and they ARE one of the ultimate predators! To share the water with these amazing birds is something I look forward to EVERY time I get on the water. That unmistakable shrill makes you stop as soon as it gets into earshot! They have SHOWN me where the bass were on many a morning! They are whom I choose to spend my fishing time with ! FACINATING creatures. We are blessed to have them back!

3. This season I had the pleasure of wathing an Egret hunt for baitfish. Not seeing one hunt but, WATCHING one hunt. For those who have never seen it.. I will describe to the best of my abilities. I was floating on the Peconic River and I was able to come within 15 yards of this Egret. The wind was blowing @ 15knots with gusts to 20. This crafty bird was standing inn 12" of water deep in the brush that lines the river. He would extend his neck as far as he could and begin to sway back and forth mimicking the branches of the surrounding brush. He would sway for 35-60 seconds at a clip(I timed it on my watch)... he would then tilt his head sideways as to check the water below for any baitfish... nothing.....sway some more....head tilt....nothing.... sway some more...head tilt.... BAM...with the precision of an arrow... JACKPOT! He was gulping his next meal! Within seconds the process repeated. I was engulfed for over an hour watching this bird! I learned the importance of ultimate STEALTH and patience. I have some great pictures and I will NEVER forget that time well spent! That day shallow was the ticket and once again nature helped me find fish!

4. I have learned that bass fishermen are NOT as conservation minded as we ALL need to be to protect OUR waters. I have been able to collect some great lures because of it. Too bad I don't use most of them! Would anyone like a few double propped buzz baits? Maybe, a couple of big blade spinnerbaits? I have a few Zara Spooks that could use some new trebles(The old ones are really rusted! Must have been stuck in that tree a while?!:mad: . ***WE DON'T NEED YOUR MIS-DIRECTED CASTS LEFT ON OUR WATERS!!! STAY OFF THE WATER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF:cussing: ***

5. I have learned to wade. This season I really put my waders to the test! All I can say is, Simms Guideweights! I am glad I invested in them because for a good portion of this season I have waded! I have them in my Jeep at all times and today will mark the 8th day in a row that I have waded in them and I LOVE IT! Talk about nature. I have shared the river with some of the most incredible creatures. Birds over my shoulder. I thought that fishing in a kayak was the ultimate in stealth?! Doesn't even compare! I won't be giving up my yak anytime soon;) ! Wading has brought me EVEN closer to the fish than before and I have learned to stalk a little better and more importantly... I have learned to REALLY pick apart an area. You see when you are in a yak... you are at the mercy of the wind. You kind of go where the wind blows you more or less. I waded during the approaching Hurricane and wind was no problem at all! (Besides the tree that came down 15ft from me @ my favorite pool:eek: !) Ughh....time to get off the water! I had one of the best days of the year that day:D .

6. TECTAN- You can catch BIG fish with 6.9 Tectan! I landed and realeased many carp this year on that line and it is the BEST line for MY Slider fishing that I have used. (The carp were caught on a Size 4 split shot hook and a kernal of corn!) I learned the value of a small diameter line.

7. Longer Fishing Rods- This year I learned the value of using LFR's, I was introduced to a 7FT Scott rod and since have found it difficult to find a reason to fish with anything shorter than that! I do have a few 6-6 1/2 rods but, I love the way my scott rods protects my line! I learned how to use the rods action to my advantage! It has helped me quite a bit!

8. Tennesee Handles- When introduced to theses handles I was learning Charlie Brewers methods and I immediatly bought into his theory and I bought his rod. With a great deal of success I quicly understood the logic behind being able to have your pointer finger and thumb against the blank! It feels so ackward to go back to factory installed reel seats! Anyone interested in a few Compre's? I used them exclusively last year and now have no use for them. A few 5ft's and a few 6ft's and a couple of 6'6 fts.

Time to get back on the water, to be continued.......

AKO

·
Administrator
21,684 Posts
the metamorphosis is now complete Andrew: the nature schtick, the tectan, the long rods, etc.....

you have now made the complete transformation into a Mr Jig/Travis amalgam.......

good luck with it.....

·
Administrator
21,684 Posts
I have had long conversations with Dick concerning his feelings towards Nature, and it sounded so much like him.....

I correct my spelling, it is:

SHTICK

from a Yiddish word that means: a theatrical routine, a gimmick

I do not ascribe to any hints or forms of Pantheism....

I partake of nature, try not to overly disturb it or get in it's way, but that is it......

Nature is crueler than Man could ever be....merciless actually....it does what it has to do without any thought or regard....if you get in its way, it is simply tough luck for you, as such, I view its intricacies and beauty with respect but without a hint of worship, as I am fully aware that it would bowl me over without a hesitation at it's whim......

·
What, me worry?
288 Posts
Pretty cool Andrew! I wish I could morph like you but I don't have the balls.... Heck, I still use baitcasters :D . I guess I'm more of a hybrid.

John... very impressive verbiage! I thought I was the only one on this site to toss out a two bit word. Very very nice!

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
I've learned that even in the Bass fishing community there are sanctimoneous & self rightcheous types that perpetuate themselves to be better than others and therefore gives them the right ( in their own mind) to judge the actions of others.

I've also learned that the bass fishing community holds some of the most genuine and generous people I have ever met.

·
What, me worry?
288 Posts
Nick!

Nice verbiage too! Now I'm really impressed.

In my book, YOU are one of the genuine good guys Nick! Even though your a Mets fan :D

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have learned the value of an extended warrantee.

I have learned it pays to have friends that will loan you their boat....I hope to return a lot of favors.

I have learned from NY Bass that the cut tail worm on a slider head will catch limits as well as an occasional lunker. Our 4.8 smallie caught on a green pumkin CT was just a hair shy at tourney Saturday. Earlier this season a black/blue fleck earned a $450 lunker award for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I've Learned this Year (in no particular order):

1. That most Anglers are pretty friendly people...

2. That I need to get a motorized boat...

3. That I need to carry a NOAA Weather Alert Radio in the boat...

4. That I need to protect Myself from Sun Cancer...

5. That I love Fireline (I used to use Vanish)

6. That I'm becoming more confident in horizontal type lures (Rat-L-Traps, Spinnerbaits, etc...) to catch Bass instead of just pickerel...

7. That I'm becoming a Hardcore Jig/Chunk Lover... Even though the Bass may not be biting the Jig today, I just keep on Pitching that Jig just because I think it's cool... My best fishing days (quality and quantity) have come on the Jig...

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
I now just learned that this was last year's What did you learn this year's thread......

...after reading 3 goddamn pages.......thanks, Nick.....:eek: :D

·
Fish Fry?
1,446 Posts
I have learned that I spend way to much time on this website so if:

My boss fires me for seeing to many hits to NYBASS or

My daughter disowns me because I know more people at Galyans than I do her friends or

My old lady kicks me out because she can not get to the computer someone on this website is going to have let me come and stay with them for awhile.

Seriously

1) I've learned I don't have to use a Senko to catch fish.

2) Concentrate (Stay in contact with your bait from the time it releases it till the time you see it again)

3) Diversify (Acquire confidence in every piece of tackle in your arsenal)

4) Bigger is definitely Better(Ask any fisherman or woman)

·
Registered
625 Posts
The most important thing I have learned this year is to try different baits. Mainly how to fish all sorts of different baits from jigs (still learning) to buzzbaits. Mainly all of the newer things I have learned are from being here on NYBASS.COM:beerchug:

·
Reservoir Rat
9,970 Posts
What I've so far learned this year:

1- That freshwater fishing is 10 times harder then fishing the salt party boat style.

2- That no matter how much I've thought I've learned and accomplished this year, in reality I've learned less then 1% of what I need to know just to become a decent fisherman, capable of producing some results in most conditions.

3- The art of learning is actually using your eyes and ears, not your mouth. Want to learn how to throw a jig when you're with a master. Don't fish for 5 min and just watch.

4- Stop buying everything that you read about or see. I already have a tackle bag that is way to heavy with all sorts of stuff that I can't use correctly, or don't even use at all.

5- Decide what types of water I would rather fish given the opportunity and time to fish where I want to on any given day.

6- I'm too much a creature of habit, and therefore tend to stick to what I know that HAS worked.

7- Finding NYBass.com, and understanding all that the site and the people that make it up have to offer. For me it's meant new friends. New opportunities to fish the waters that intrigue me. The ability to learn from so many that are truly masters at what they do. And just plain having fun, and enjoying those outings.

:letusfish

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
paul m.,GOOD ONE!!!!:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
Paul, I have to disagree.

I find it is uncanny how people do a good job of living right up to your level of expectation.

If you expect nothing don't be suprised if that's what you get.

·
Registered
643 Posts
1) I've learned that I can pull a nice fish using a 5'6" UL rod and 6# test. Talk about confidence.
2) That every time out is another chance to experience something new.
3) Not to retie my lure too close to the water's edge with my glasses on top of my hat. (oops!)
3A) Not to wear my cell phone clipped to the front of your pants. Always move it to the rear (oops!)
4) How cool it is to see your line picked up and slowly moving away from you.
5) I really love to be alone at water's edge with nothing but my thoughts to keep me company.
6) How important my time on the water is. For some it's about catching fish. For me it's about fishing.
I've stood at the water's edge and learned more about myself than ever before.
7) How much I appreciate all that have answered my many repetive questions here. It has helped a lot.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts