The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Let the fish be with you
13,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Giants picked Barkley at #2, everybody on this forum (except me) were screaming they were CRAZY not to pick Darnold, which the Jets did at #3. I never cared for Darnold when he played in college. Too many fumbles & interceptions. The Jets were the worst place he could go with no O-Line, & no decent receivers. Barkley is a great runner, & if he gets healthy will be again. I will admit he is a terrible blocker, which the Giants really need. Still a better pick than Darnold. Maybe Carolina will give Darnold the protection he needs to play better. Unfortunately the JETS were a terrible waste for him. Still don`t think he will be a franchise QB, but will be better off in Carolina. If the Giants OL gets better, Jones & Barkley will do well. The Giants may even win the terrible NFC east this year. Their only competition will come from the "REDSKINS" who are not the redskins anymore. Can`t they come up with a better name than the Washington football team?

·
Fish Fry?
1,444 Posts
This idea of the new shiny college quarterback carousel has got to stop. If you look at last year’s top 10 quarterbacks not one of them was drafted in the top 5

• Watson
  • Mahomes
  • Brady
  • Ryan
  • Allen
  • Herbert
  • Rodgers
  • Cousin
  • Wilson
  • Rivers.

Every team keeps believing that there qb is at the top of the draft. Of all the positions QB is the one that is nurtured. Tom Brady was 199th pick in 2000. Yet the Executives keep doing the same thing every year. The evaluation process is just off. How did Herbert evaluation go unnoticed? How the hell did Mahomes fall so far down? The scouts are not doing their homework. I don't think that Trevor Lawrence is better than Deshaun Watson at the same stage.

But we'll see And I'm not even a Jets Fan.

I feel sorry for the fan base and DARNOLD. So now they are essentially rebuilding. So, it maybe another 3-5 years before they sniff the playoffs. Will the coach last that long? Will the QB last that long?

• Mahomes held the clipboard for Smith
  • Brady held the clipboard for Bledsoe
  • Rodgers held the clipboard for Farve

So, there is some precedence to creating a quality quarterback. Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman record first 3 years.

• 0-11
  • 7-8
  • 7-5
Imagine if the Cowboys gave up on him after year 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree, free agency and the cap also hurting the game. By the time you develop your draft picks you lose them to free agency. Remember in the 80’s when the giants were great they had roughly the same core players on offense and defense and learned how to play as a team and develop together. Really miss the days of Carson, Banks, Taylor, Reason and others.

·
Administrator
11,521 Posts
This idea of the new shiny college quarterback carousel has got to stop. If you look at last year’s top 10 quarterbacks not one of them was drafted in the top 5

• Watson
  • Mahomes
  • Brady
  • Ryan
  • Allen
  • Herbert
  • Rodgers
  • Cousin
  • Wilson
  • Rivers

How come Aikman doesn't count in the theory above, with the exception of Brady and Cousin they were all 1st rounders so what not top 5
Darnold not the first or the last QB to be ruined by being drafted by a bad team. Let's see how he does with the Panthers

Marty what has Barkley done for the Giants, 1 good year, one mediocre year, then typical RB got hurt! Hasn't exactly elevated the team and you never get the longevity from RBs you get from QBs
Do the same list as above for running back (top 10 last year) and you won't find a first rounder!

Teams do get to QB hungry but it's a QB driven league!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Darnold is going to look real good in Carolina. Book It. It's not that he's all of a sudden superman.... it's all of a sudden he has top tier coaching and some good players around him.

Name the best offensive player Darnold has played with??? HHmmm... Robby Anderson? Quincey Enunwa for a couple games? Old broken La-Bell? Carolina has McCaffery, Moore AND Anderson. Plus Matt Rhule and Joe Brady are far superior to anything Darnold has had before helping him. You think Rhule and Brady will have a game plan that has the kids seeing ghosts??? I don't think so.

The bottom line is NO young/inexperienced QB can make up for bad coaching and bad talent. NONE - NOBODY- NEVER HAPPENS - IF YOU NAME ONE I'D BE SHOCKED.... it just doesn't happen - more often than not the guy is labelled a bust and moves on as a backup. Now it's worse... QB's get 3 years as a high draft pick to "be a star" - how's that gonna happen when your team sucks around you. After 3 years, salary cap ramifications determine what happens - just like what happened with Darnold. I'd bet if he had 2 years left making peanuts this deal never happens. But Jets didn't wanna create a Dak situation where they build him up and he then can walk out the door or will cost them 25-30 million. Now they will have 4 years of Wilson for minimal money beofre having to decide what to do.

Every young QB that succeeds is either drafted into a great situation (Mahomes, Jackson, etc) or was given a long leash while they built around him (ex. Allen). It takes talent AND EXPERIENCE to overcome bad coaching and or lack of weapons - like P. Manning, Brady could do late in their careers. Neither of those guys were carrying their teams early on - Manning was pedestrian first couple seasons - Brady was a "game manager" at best on a Superbowl Caliber team for a couple seasons... but once they both got the experience - they could then make up for crappy WR's or bad coaching (Manning had Gase remember!! LOL!!)

Do I think Darnold will turn into Mahomes this year... no. But he should easily be a top 10-15 QB with the potential to even do better.

J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts