The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to bass fishing (but completely obsessed now) and only have a few poles (4 to be exact). I have two newly purchased beginner baitcasters that I'm learning to use (practice practice practice). I have a light spinning reel that I plan to learn drop shotting with. Just gettin started means I don't have a big budget to buy new poles until maybe Christmas.

I also have a 5'6" medium action Shakespeare ugly stik spin caster. What could I possibly use this for? Oddly enough I caught my first bass (4.75#) a few weeks ago on this rod with an inline spinner. Suggestions other than seeing if lightning strikes twice with a light spinner bait? I plan on fishing from boats almost exclusively just because I love being on the water.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only use I have for an ugly stick is as a tomato stake!
Cmon, give the guy a break! :) When you're on a budget, you use what ya got till you can afford better. I'm no expert by any means, but I know a lot of guys throw cranks with glass rods, so maybe you could use it for that?
I think sometimes we get too caught up in matching the rod to the lure/presentation. That's great if you can afford it, but some guys can't afford multiple rods so you make due with what you have.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That is some funny stuff above but if a poll was taken you'd find many would not be willing but truth be told many have began using an ugly stick unless they were introduced early by a more experienced angler that afforded them a better rod or they learned using someone else rod and went on to buy one better .

Seriously , here is the use for the rod you are speaking of . Get a Zebco Omega Pro Spincast Reel or Omega Z03 , unless it is already paired with a spin casting reel making it a complete combo . Keep it for when you are ready to share fishing with someone young or just new to fishing . Do not discard it but re-spool it and set it aside the opportunity will present itself for you to present it for another to use it not resent it and you would not mind as much if they abuse it , be it is not one of your better setups .

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
you guys crack me up! -- must be nice to have MONEY to burn! - and egos that big to put someone down over a fishing rod!

kylers you can use that rod for anything you want. many years ago BEFORE fishing was a fashion statement WE HAD A ROD - A REEL AND SOME TACKLE --- AND GUESS WHAT WE CAUGHT FISH!

just go fishing and have a great time!!! HEY it doesn't matter what kind of rod or reel you have -- they are used for the same thing!!!!

to go fishing with!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Don't get all cracked up , Kylers , mentioned he just acquired two new baitcasting reels . Now I do not shun lower end equipment and donnot have the money to join the higher end guys that do so for the quality . It is an answer to his question and since the new reels that he is still learning to use the spincater will only take from the time he will need to put to learning to use the baitcaster .

I have caught fish with lower end rods for sure but the beauty of fishing is you grow in skill and if it is your will and within the bills to splurge and spill some into getting better equipment , you will for sure find that though they all catch fish. It is more performance than a fad you are paying for . Just like with anything . I still have my Zebco reel for my nephews come to visit ( and I'm not just talking my Quantum Smoke Reels )

·
260 Posts
i agree with you
my answer was kinda geared towards the ugly stick comments! - i have some ugly sticks that YES i still use - not a lot but they get used for OLD TIMES SAKE - i like them for frog fishing with a spinning reel! AND again my answer probably was not to clear i myself pretty much use mostly sinning stuff - i have some bait casting set-ups that i use with spinnerbaits! i am not a big jig fisherman nor do i do any flipping! and as you said it takes some time to be able to get THE REAL HANG of a bait casting set-up which i have done for what i need them for. soo i am content to use what i am most comfortable with and what gets the fun part of the job done for me! and (LOL) like all of us i am in with everyone else when it comes to buying just way to much stuff!

as far as the fad goes MAYBE it's just me but i have bought a couple of new rods now and then ONLY to go back to my 20 and 30 year old 6x6 St. Croix rods (and LOL) now that i think about it - they were pretty high end back in those days! EXCEPT for a christmas gift this year of a St. Croix 7x7 which i love and hope it lasts as long as the others

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rvolkers...... kylers asked a question and got a realistic answer from rockland basser and others, whats the problem with that? There is a reason we are all on sites like this and thats to learn and get better and share our past and present experiences . Most of us im sure had ugly sticks and still do, so kidding around about it has nothing to do with "egos" as you say, but more about past experience with previous equipment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is some funny stuff above but if a poll was taken you'd find many would not be willing but truth be told many have began using an ugly stick unless they were introduced early by a more experienced angler that afforded them a better rod or they learned using someone else rod and went on to buy one better .

Seriously , here is the use for the rod you are speaking of . Get a Zebco Omega Pro Spincast Reel or Omega Z03 , unless it is already paired with a spin casting reel making it a complete combo . Keep it for when you are ready to share fishing with someone young or just new to fishing . Do not discard it but re-spool it and set it aside the opportunity will present itself for you to present it for another to use it not resent it and you would not mind as much if they abuse it , be it is not one of your better setups .
JeRome, when I was a kid, I often drooled at the thought of one day owning an Ugly Stik. I couldn't afford one, so I graciously accepted any hand-me-down rod and reel combos from people. I have those rods and reels to this day, hoping to pass those on an angler I feel would appreciate them.

That is excellent advice you gave.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Ugly sticks are great for youngsters and the girlfriend that does not know how much you paid for high end rod you let them use and on the way to the lake they walk with it , taping the ground like it's a visually impaired persons walking stick . There's nothing like seeing a kid get hooked on fishing and you put the rod in their hand and the end of the day tell them it's theirs to own .

The future of fishing is in the cast of young anglers . So put a rod in a youngsters hand guys with the lessons we've come to learn that make this all the fun it is.

·
Registered
388 Posts
To the OP: This is a good time of year for top water and shallow cranks. These are techniques that don't require a sensitive rod to feel bites, not that it wouldn't help down the road, but you can use the Ugly Stick in the mean time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To the OP: This is a good time of year for top water and shallow cranks. These are techniques that don't require a sensitive rod to feel bites, not that it wouldn't help down the road, but you can use the Ugly Stick in the mean time.
I agree! My first ultralight was an ugly stick back in the 70's. Still have it. Don't use it like 90% of my other rods but you never want to throw a rod away. You never know what that might come in handy for including the various parts one is built from.
I know many in the east don't and wouldn't consider fishing for Channel Cat but I grew up a river rat in the Midwest and the best catfishin rods I have are Ugly Sticks!
In your situation, I agree, should make a good crankbait rod. Be nice if it were a little longer but you got to use what you got.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing is I let my buddy use this rod this weekend while I learned on my baitcasters and he caught a few fish and had a blast. He pretty much used an inline spinner bait the entire day but it was so much fun to see his face light up when a fish was on. I think I'll hang on to it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Since I've gotten back into fishing, I used nothing but ONE Spinning rod and reel for everything for the first 6 months and did just fine, middle of the road quality (Shimano Saros and Fenwick Rod). I bought a baitcaster and rod about 2 months ago, again middle of the road (Shimano Cuardo / St. Croix). Now I have 2 setups. Personally the only reason I would like to have maybe just 1 or 2 more setups is only for the convenience factor so I don't have to take the time to Change and Retie lures, :laugh: - Having said all this - I did get in deep with baits and lures, when you're first starting out, just to get the tackle box to where it needs to be can be an all consuming endeavor, attached.

Attachments

·
260 Posts
Rvolkers...... kylers asked a question and got a realistic answer from rockland basser and others, whats the problem with that? There is a reason we are all on sites like this and thats to learn and get better and share our past and present experiences . Most of us im sure had ugly sticks and still do, so kidding around about it has nothing to do with "egos" as you say, but more about past experience with previous equipment.
NO PROBLM
i agreed with rockland basser! and SORRY but the guy was asking about the use for an ugly stick JUST me but tomatoe stakes and in the garden again perhaps funny if YOU KNOW the person saying that! A PUT DOWN if you don't - and you are right on this a great spot for learning and giving positive feed back! BUT FOR SURE as with any site like this we don't always know the person or persons posting other than social media. sometime things can get easily taken the wrong way!

HEY ITS ALL GOOD!

·
260 Posts
Since I've gotten back into fishing, I used nothing but ONE Spinning rod and reel for everything for the first 6 months and did just fine, middle of the road quality (Shimano Saros and Fenwick Rod). I bought a baitcaster and rod about 2 months ago, again middle of the road (Shimano Cuardo / St. Croix). Now I have 2 setups. Personally the only reason I would like to have maybe just 1 or 2 more setups is only for the convenience factor so I don't have to take the time to Change and Retie lures, :laugh: - Having said all this - I did get in deep with baits and lures, when you're first starting out, just to get the tackle box to where it needs to be can be an all consuming endeavor, attached.
nice collection some great choices -- HAVE FUN!

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
okay, let me restore some order here:

first of all: an ugly stick, meaning the VERY PLIABLE BENDABLE type, is NOT even good for a tomato stake in the Garden, because it is not firm enough...lol

so, with that out of the way, he sounds like a young guy, who, BTW, still has not returned to his own thread ( bad etiquette in forum land ), and by all means, he WILL catch fish on that rod, in fact, as he informed us, he already has.....

with ANY sport or endeavor: as you get better, you grow into better equipment...simply the way of the world.....in fishing , especially, where the bite for MOST of the year, is very subtle, having a very sensitive rod that is matched well for reel and line/lure combination, can help you an awful lot in determining those subtle bites.....

so: as he, this young ( I assume ) guy, grows into the sport, yes, he will gravitate towards both more , and , better equipment.....

for now: it's good for him to realize that an ugly stick is exactly what it is: beginner status and limited, but nonetheless, serviceable......

I don't think he was slighted in any way, and , of course, as mentioned, since he hasn't returned to his own thread, we don't know how HE took all the comments....

so, no use in getting bent out of shape over them.....

I see no harm , no foul....RVOLKERS: my dear buddy, you kind of overreacted a little to the whole thing, but hey, it remains all relative unless we hear from our OP....

·
Registered
12 Posts
A great use for an Ugly stick is just rig it up with a small weighted grub and a bobber and keep it in the bottom of your boat. When the bass fishing turns south pull up to the nearest weeds and commence having a blast catching pan fish. Easy and a ton of fun and you can also bring home a few for some fish sandies.

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
A great use for an Ugly stick is just rig it up with a small weighted grub and a bobber and keep it in the bottom of your boat. When the bass fishing turns south pull up to the nearest weeds and commence having a blast catching pan fish. Easy and a ton of fun and you can also bring home a few for some fish sandies.
there you go! another use...hey, all of these things have their place, somewhere, and somehow...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.