The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one of you guys (or gal) heard of a place called Bill's Boat Works on Wilmuth Ave in Lackawanna?

I'm considering doing a long distance transaction with them on the purchase of a boat and am wondering if anybody knows if they're a reputable company.

My e-mail addy is [email protected] in case you'd rather not post your response here....Thanks in advance, John

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Personally, I have never heard of them. But Sea Jack or Rob J might know more. They are alot closer than I am.

Sorry I couldn't help more :(

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the responses none the less.

Story I'm getting is they sell bank repos. They've got some next to new boats at some awfully good prices. I put a deposit on one. Hope it's as good as it sounds.... It's an awfully long drive.:cool:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it ain't a Ranger Paul but since you asked.......

It's 2002 24 ft. Robalo walk around with a Yamaha 225 four stroke (still under warranty) with 111 hours on it.....At $23,000 less than I was quoted for a new one at the boat show it's hard to pass up.

With a 140 gallon fuel capacity and that four stroke it should have a range of over 350 miles...More than double the range of my old 26 ft Sea Ox with the carbureted twin 200s which held 200 gallons of fuel. Not quite as comfy and stable with the shorter length and the 8' 6" beam as compared to the 10' beam on the Ox but I'll make due......Next shopping stop is the electronics as this boat has none. That should be fun with all the new innovative stuff on the market today. Most of my old stuff was 12 years old.......Anybody know where I could get a trolling motor with a six foot shaft??:pLOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
JP

I am from the Buffalo area and have not heard of this dealer. I will call a few of my friends to see if they have any idea about them.

Jay

·
What, me worry?
288 Posts
JP,

Sorry I'm so late seeing this thread. I've been a bit busy lately and haven't read the board too much.

I live fairly close to Bill's Boatworks. As far as I know, they've only been in business at that Wilmuth location for about five years. The reason why I say so is that I owned my own business for nearly 14 years and used to drive down Route Five from my home to my business in Woodlawn. Anyway, about five years ago I noticed boats in the "Bowels" of Lackawanna then shortly later there was a sign on Route Five for Bill's Boatworks.

I call it the "Bowels of Lackawanna" because the neighborhood can be best described as lower middle class. I'm sure you've heard of the "Lackawanna Six"... this is their neighborhood. For years it was federally subsidized low income housing then about 10 - 15 years ago a large influx of Yemeni immigrants settled in and around there.

Anyway, I know these facts don't help you with the purchase of your boat. I did a BBB search of the business and didn't find any complaints against him. I'll ask around and see if anyone ever dealt with the place. There is a baitshop near me and they seem to know everything about everybody. I'll drop by there and ask them then post it here. If you need anything else, let me know.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much Tony and Jay!:)

Any info you can dig up would be greatly appreciated.

On the checking I did I couldn't find anything bad about them which I guess is good. From my dealings with them so far they seem like they're running an honest buissness........... I'd imagine your better crooks always do.:(

Thanks again, John

·
What, me worry?
288 Posts
JP,

I went to the baitshop and asked them if they knew anything about Bill's Boatworks. Well, they knew of the place but neither guy there knew of anyone that dealt with them therefore they couldn't offer me any pertinent information.

After I left there, I took a chance that they might be open and went over there but unfortunately, they were closed and the gate was locked. I had my digital camera with me and was going to take some pictures for you. Sorry I can't offer more. I will keep asking around. My buddy across the street may know something about them but he isn't home right now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tony,

I had a private investigator friend of mine down here on L.I. do a check on both the business and the owner (William Henneberry) and both come up clean. No lawsuits, no judgments, and no bankruptcies. Tomorrow when he gets to his office he's gonna do a little more thorough check for me to see if he moves around a lot or if he's a fairly stable individual.

I appreciate your time and effort in helping me out. It's a big relief for me just to know the place actually exists.

In today's day and age with all these internet transactions going on it's always a fear of mine there's some guy out there doing business with nothing but a computer and a mail box, just waiting for checks to arrive before splitting the state.

Thanks again, I'll sleep a little better tonight. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts