The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per our recent discussions decided to hit Slivermine . . .

Sat was great fishing wise, got the new Yak out for the first real test. The weather man mentioned some showers, well that was kind of off base, it rained pretty much all morning. Got out on the water @ sun up around 5:30/45 am. Caught one on the first cast from the boat! Got about 12 bass total. Still not satisfied with the size, but quantity was good, biggest one attached, a little fatty I ripped out of the Pads 3 Lbs. 2 Oz. Got most on a jig, one top water also.

Still open for tips on Up-Sizing my summer Bass. . . .

Today, Sunday, was a different story- same spot- dead water. Nothing biting, got one 2lber early, then nothing for a while, covered a lot of water, inside and outside weed edges, ledges, shallow/deep etc. . . Got a second small bass and that was it. After about 4.5 hours, I decided to pack it in, talk to another guy who got skunked, so I guess 2 is better then none, just not as nice as 12!!

A few Possible Discussions from this outing: Hook Setting from a Kayak or Hook Setting with Light Spinning Gear and Proper Drag -I lost a Big one, because my drag was too tight and my line snapped, then missed another because it was too loose and dragged out when I set it. I've using fighting dragging because I can't seem to find a good middle ground, where its tight enough to set but not snap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Congrats to you Dallin , on your maiden voyage on you Hobie yak . I would definitely reach out to some of the other kayak anglers . Quite the difference from the water than from the shoreline , best to you out there .

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Silver mine is a funky lake. You can get a bite every cast for 15 minutes and then not another bite all day. My favorite pads to fish

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been using 30 lbs fireline with a mh pole, havent lost a fish in 2 years. Good luck!!!
Not sure my spinning reel can handle 30LBS. Line, I went from 14LBs. Fluro to 10LBs. Fluro recently, which is why the drag was not set properly, but man what a difference, the 10Lbs. casts about twice as far compared to the 14lbs. Although I don't enjoy losing big fish, its a lot of fun fighting them on lighter line also. The Fish I lost really yanked it . . . He came toward the boat, turned around after I'd taken up most of the slack and darted in the opposite direction, very easily could have been a knot failure as well.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Man - Thought I had a Jerome sighting yesterday @ Tiorati, was gonna stop but it was the main road . . . Had to go get my Boating Pass @ Tiorati Circle . . .That placed is mobbed!!

Yes BG - Those are some Serious Pads, the one I lost was right where he was supposed to be, pulled the jig over a large opening in the pads with a submerged rock, let it slide down the face and fall and BANG!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was thinking of fishing in the Harriman park. Believe it or not I've never been there even though I live pretty close to it... From what I understand there are multiple lakes in park, do you need a pass or permit or anything to get in there? If so, how much does it cost?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure my spinning reel can handle 30LBS. Line, I went from 14LBs. Fluro to 10LBs. Fluro recently, which is why the drag was not set properly, but man what a difference, the 10Lbs. casts about twice as far compared to the 14lbs. Although I don't enjoy losing big fish, its a lot of fun fighting them on lighter line also. The Fish I lost really yanked it . . . He came toward the boat, turned around after I'd taken up most of the slack and darted in the opposite direction, very easily could have been a knot failure as well.
I use 4lb test on my UL and have landed 3-4 lb fish with some playing the fish/drag. Don't need that much drag to set the hook. My bass setup has 8lb mono and does pretty well, never a break off.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I was thinking of fishing in the Harriman park. Believe it or not I've never been there even though I live pretty close to it... From what I understand there are multiple lakes in park, do you need a pass or permit or anything to get in there? If so, how much does it cost?
Rich , there are more accessible shoreline waters than by boat and it is free access for most unless you get in after 8am where you may have to pay to park your vehicle . If you are planning on launching a boat there is a fee for key access to do so along with boat and vehicle stickers. Which you will have to get from tiorati circle for registration . Below is the contact and info . By boat or by foot , get out there and enjoy .

http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/FishinginthePalisadesInterstateParks.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rich , there are more accessible shoreline waters than by boat and it is free access for most unless you get in after 8am where you may have to pay to park your vehicle . If you are planning on launching a boat there is a fee for key access to do so along with boat and vehicle stickers. Which you will have to get from tiorati circle for registration . Below is the contact and info . By boat or by foot , get out there and enjoy .

http://nysparks.com/regions/attachments/FishinginthePalisadesInterstateParks.pdf
Thanks for the info! I will be fishing from a kayak, which I can launch just about anywhere.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info! I will be fishing from a kayak, which I can launch just about anywhere.
You should get the sticker though, I just got the Yak and went out without one, because the place wasn't open yet (got out there @ 5:30/6AM), one of the ranger's came down and started busting my chops, she let me slide but I went and got the sticker. the launching is the easy part, just watch where you park. Where have you been fishing out of curiosity?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use 4lb test on my UL and have landed 3-4 lb fish with some playing the fish/drag. Don't need that much drag to set the hook. My bass setup has 8lb mono and does pretty well, never a break off.
Hmmm not sure, saw some guys saying they've snapped off 30# with a hook set. I find the jig with the weed guard takes a pretty good yank to get it set well. I'll probably end up sticking with the 10Lbs. Fluro. on the spinning reel, get a baitcaster with 20Lbs. Fluro, use the jig on that and should be good to go - I did pick up some Seguar's Fluro 15lbs. might try that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should get the sticker though, I just got the Yak and went out without one, because the place wasn't open yet (got out there @ 5:30/6AM), one of the ranger's came down and started busting my chops, she let me slide but I went and got the sticker. the launching is the easy part, just watch where you park. Where have you been fishing out of curiosity?
Usually at Round Lake and Walton lake in Monroe because they are the easiest for me right now, but I have to get out of there lol. Every now and then I get a treat and can fish Beaver Dam Lake over in the Cornwall area because my father knows a guy, but I haven't been there in a while. I really need some new fishing spots - the ones in Monroe are really over fished.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Usually at Round Lake and Walton lake in Monroe because they are the easiest for me right now, but I have to get out of there lol. Every now and then I get a treat and can fish Beaver Dam Lake over in the Cornwall area because my father knows a guy, but I haven't been there in a while. I really need some new fishing spots - the ones in Monroe are really over fished.
Your definitely within striking distance of all the lakes in Harriman - I did a quick google, what's up with Mombasha Lake up that way? Always looking for new water :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your definitely within striking distance of all the lakes in Harriman - I did a quick google, what's up with Mombasha Lake up that way? Always looking for new water :)
I've never fished it. I just googled it and it looks pretty close, so ill check it out. Not sure if it is public or not, I never know around here so I get hesitant to try new places.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't break the 30, thought I saw post tat said it, My issue was on 10 fluro and more related to drag, I'm not sure the knot I tie, a teacher in agriculture class in high school showed it to me and been tying it that way ever since, it basically consists of putting the line through the lure, matching the two ends up and twisting it several times, then tie the knot through the bottom of the twists and loop the tag end through the side loop, pull it tight, then two more overhand knots on top of it, I think its pretty similar to the rappala knot

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.