The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning my fishing trip with my father and brother who was in town from Ohio was cut short because my father got a "little" hook caught in his thumb. We normally wouldn't be out fishing in 20mph winds but my brother was in town just for the day. We hit the lake and I got a nice backlash throwing my A-rig. While trying to control the boat and get the backlash out it got wrapped up in the trolling motor. Once that happened I pulled the trolling motor up to start unwrapping but the wind was pushing us into shore so my father came to the front to unwrap while I jumped on the big motor. As he was kneeling and unwrapping his foot accidently hit the switch to the motor and turned it on. It quickly sunk the hook deep into his thumb. I quickly got us into a secluded cove where I asked if he wanted me to pull it out. I wrapped 50lb braid around it and at that point he asked if I've done that before. I said no but I did see it on YouTube. It was at that point he chickened out and off to the ER we went. When we got there, everyone was amazed he had that big of a hook in there. When the PA came in to remove it my father asked how he was going to do it. He said I'm going to wrap some stiching line around it and yank. My father was shocked and said, "well, I could've had you do it then" I said yea, but, he's got the Lodocaine. Moral of the story, be sure to turn the power off to the trolling motor when having to do any work on or around it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The fishing line works. Just be careful it's not on a tendon. I had one where I could run the barb the rest of the way through and cut it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad is good to go. Thanks for asking everyone. He had a bandaid on it on Monday. He's a tough old man.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Imbedded hook

It hurts! It happenned to me this summer. There seems to be two methods of taking out the hook. One is the aforementioned, "yank" and the other involves pushing the hook further in so that the barb comes out. Once the barb is out, you have to cut it. then you just slide the hook out, the way it went in. If you yank it out with line around it, the key is to do it hard and fast, with no fear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts