1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather - Sunny 70 when started
Sunny 80 when I left
Time - 6:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Tackle - Reel -Shimano Chronarch MG 50 (circa - 2004
Rod - Daiwa Zillion - TDZL 661MHFB 6'6" MH
Lure - Spro Dean Rojas Bronzeye Frog 65 - Color Killer Gill

I had already mapped out the lake I wanted to hit this morning. When I arrived at the lake (55 acres) the shoreline did not have access. The city is dredging the lake which was done about 9 years ago so I was a little surprised. So with that plan shot to all hell I proceeded home and to fish a lake that is 3 minutes from the house. As I am approaching the turn I decided to hit another lake instead. I fished here last year with little success. The lake gets an abundance of weed growth during the summer which limits your lure selection. With this knowledge I tied on a frog and began to fish. I don't have a lot of experience fishing a frog but knew it was the only technique available to me. As I am fishing I am thinking to myself "I don't think I am doing this right?" So I pull out my phone go to Youtube and watch a couple of videos on technique. After watching the videos I realized I was fishing entirely too fast. I slowed my presentation and twitch cadence and boom I hook into my first fish. 4lbs (3.99 Scale used)
Fishing.jpg

Very quickly I knew I was on to something. I immediately caught a 3 pounder then 2 two pounders. They were really attacking the frog aggressively. Frog fishing is notorious for short strikes and fish coming unbuttoned. But I did not miss one fish, matter a fact all the fish were hooked really good. One fish I didn't even realize he had the bait till started reeling in.

I had to be logged in for work at 9 so I could only fish for a short period. I am certain I would have had a double digit day with some decent size fish if I could have stayed longer.

Keep an open mind and don't get so locked into only on technique.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Weather - Sunny 70 when started
Sunny 80 when I left
Time - 6:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Tackle - Reel -Shimano Chronarch MG 50 (circa - 2004
Rod - Daiwa Zillion - TDZL 661MHFB 6'6" MH
Lure - Spro Dean Rojas Bronzeye Frog 65 - Color Killer Gill

I had already mapped out the lake I wanted to hit this morning. When I arrived at the lake (55 acres) the shoreline did not have access. The city is dredging the lake which was done about 9 years ago so I was a little surprised. So with that plan shot to all hell I proceeded home and to fish a lake that is 3 minutes from the house. As I am approaching the turn I decided to hit another lake instead. I fished here last year with little success. The lake gets an abundance of weed growth during the summer which limits your lure selection. With this knowledge I tied on a frog and began to fish. I don't have a lot of experience fishing a frog but knew it was the only technique available to me. As I am fishing I am thinking to myself "I don't think I am doing this right?" So I pull out my phone go to Youtube and watch a couple of videos on technique. After watching the videos I realized I was fishing entirely too fast. I slowed my presentation and twitch cadence and boom I hook into my first fish. 4lbs (3.99 Scale used)
View attachment 50363

Very quickly I knew I was on to something. I immediately caught a 3 pounder then 2 two pounders. They were really attacking the frog aggressively. Frog fishing is notorious for short strikes and fish coming unbuttoned. But I did not miss one fish, matter a fact all the fish were hooked really good. One fish I didn't even realize he had the bait till started reeling in.

I had to be logged in for work at 9 so I could only fish for a short period. I am certain I would have had a double digit day with some decent size fish if I could have stayed longer.

Keep an open mind and don't get so locked into only on technique.
That is so awesome. I love it when I have to change plans and the new plan works out so well. Nice going.

·
Fish Fry?
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You probably built up a lot of confdence in the frog! I wish that would happen to me. LOL
Thanks Mike. I can’t take credit for the confidence build up. I have to give that to Ronnie. I didn’t have confidence with jigs but he said just go out and use a jig all day. Don’t put it down even if I didn’t catch anything. I did that for weeks before I finally was able to catch fish consistently.
Same thing with the frog. I just kept taking out one rod with a frog on it. Trying it in, over and around cover. Then out in open water, walking the dog.
So put down that Senko 😂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts