The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
well written Burnie. I have one of those LC baits but have never done so well on it. Only tried post spawn when nothing was really working.
looking forward to waking some up soon. thanks for sharing your work.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my experience on Lake Ontario I usually start seeing bigger schools of bait fish shallower ( 6 ft or less ) when the water temps start hitting the low 60s to mid 50 degree mark and once it gets in the 50-40 dergee range the bait seems to gravitate to the very backs of the coves and consistently hold around any remaining vegitation and the greener the better. Then once the water gets in the high - mid 30s the bait darn near magically disappears. This is what I've experienced in and around the Eastern Basin of Lake Ontario (Henderson, Sackets , Black River Bay and Chaumont Bay area). I think if a angler can get on that bait and stay on it throughout the transition period you'll have none stop rod action every trip out... hope this helps some

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
In my experience on Lake Ontario I usually start seeing bigger schools of bait fish shallower ( 6 ft or less ) when the water temps start hitting the low 60s to mid 50 degree mark and once it gets in the 50-40 dergee range the bait seems to gravitate to the very backs of the coves and consistently hold around any remaining vegitation and the greener the better. Then once the water gets in the high - mid 30s the bait darn near magically disappears. This is what I've experienced in and around the Eastern Basin of Lake Ontario (Henderson, Sackets , Black River Bay and Chaumont Bay area). I think if a angler can get on that bait and stay on it throughout the transition period you'll have none stop rod action every trip out... hope this helps some

this is EXACTLY what I have experienced on my lake as well. This is why I was just curious....and you are right, about staying on the bait and slamming them. Thats what happened last sunday (with the report I posted of all the big ones) but then this week that area has been super slow.

Usually late fall, the seagulls tell me where the bass are feeding on the bait in the shallow's....birds in the late fall are the best sign of a feeding frenzy. Its amazing.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Nice article. I usually use spooks too and smack jacks. I'll have to invest in the LC. Too many people think that top water dies in the fall. That's when I get my biggest fish of the year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.