The New York Bass Forums banner

Waders question

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  HookUp 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a set of wader this winter or spring and I'd like to know what I should get. What do you guys think are better, waders with the boots already attached, or stocking foot with separate boots? Any specific brands or models? I am looking to use these in cold water through summer as well and possibly a little in the surf. I am a big guy with some "natural insulation" so I don't think I need really thick waders. Thanks in advance. -Joe

G
#3 ·
Great Read on Waders

Joe, I would only like to add that I own a pair of Simms Guideweights and they have served me well. I have spent full days wading and then taken 5 mile hikes through cornrows and bramble and just plain ol' farm shit and they didn't flinch! I haven't nearly spent the time in my waders than Travis but, I have used them a ton this year and so far so good. ALWAYS keep in mind that it is of ULTRA importance to buy the best gear you can afford. I also want to add that others like EW swear by their neoprenes. I have NO experience with them and therefore can offer no advise on those. When you make your buying decision, please let me know as I have a great contact for Simms gear. I was fortunate enough to be photographed for (hopefully) one of their future catalogues. Standing chest deep , hauling in Striped Bass:beerchug: . Oh... go ALL out, the Simms Guideweight jacket is the shiznit. I have used it all fall in the surf in some nasty shit and I was always dry and warm. Layers of course. Good luck in your search and save the $$$ to invest in Simms, they ARE the best!

#5 ·
I am a now using my third set of waders in my lifetime, and I personally like the boot type. Yup, I agree, get them a bit on big ize so they slip on and off easy, and also extra room allows or extra socks etc when really cold waters. I personally like the loose fit of this style as opposed to the body-hugging fit of the neoprene ones.

G
#6 ·
Leave space in the sizing for extra layer of clothes because even with "natural insulation" it get cold in the water.
Yup, I agree, get them a bit on big ize so they slip on and off easy, and also extra room allows or extra socks etc when really cold waters. I personally like the loose fit of this style as opposed to the body-hugging fit of the neoprene ones.
Joe, that is all good advise. Remember, if you plan on wading LONG trips you don't want the boot too big. I have heard of guys recommending boots that are fine if you are standing in the surf and casting basicly in one spot. If you will be wading distances you don't want the stocking foot to rub in the boot causing blisters. I don't know how to really explain it but, I only got one size bigger and have NEVER had a problem with the temperature. Just a good set of polypro and a good wicking sock is all you need.

G
#7 ·
Hookup, where in No. Virginia do you live? My Mom live4d in Falls Church for umpteen years. I never took advantage of the area fishing wise:( . But, I will be taking advantage of her new local, Lake Toho in Florida:D

#8 ·
Joe, I used to be a huge wader guy before I got into boats.....hell, I still wade a lot. I went through about 5 pairs of Redball with the built in boot before I took a chance on a pair of 5mm Cabelas Neoprenes......5 yrs ago. I still have that same pair today and they really are economical at around 69.00. Just get a decent wading shoe and you'll be set. I'm sure Orvis and the others are good too but the price is right for you with these Cabela's

#9 ·
wader suggs

Hi Joe,

I have worked at Patagonia during the holidays on occacion and would highly recommend their waders. Additionally, I would also recommend the hi end Simms waders.

I personally own a pair of Dan Baileys waders and they have a website. When I was shopping I looked at Orvis as well but got a better fit with the Baileys and they also had a couple of better features like built in gravel guards and cinch strap.

Whatever brand you choose trying them on is very important. If you are going to be doing winter wading make sure you try them on with whatever layers you will be wearing underneath. Just like with outerwear the same thing applies. Start with a base wicking layer to bring the sweat away from your skin. Here I wear Patagonia silkweight or lightweight capilene. (this is not a plug for patagonia but I own a lot of it and know it works). Next is your insulating layer. Here again choose a fleece layer of whatever thickness will suit the weather conditions. In the winter err on the heavy side. You do not want to have to strip in the cold to get on another layer. Next is the waders. Bend down, try to walk up and down steps. Make sure you have mobility. Nothing worse than being in current, trying to take a step and not being able to because the waders restrict you. A little extra room with breathable waders is good becuase they do not stretch.

If you choose mail order make sure they can be returned. Some companys have great return policies/warrenties if you are ever dissatisfied. (Patagonia, Orvis, Baileys)

This is an area where you get a high return on your dollar. The more you spend, the happier you will be. You will not be paying for something you wont need but will be paying for better quality/features and I have yet to see a high end wader that does not have a feature that is functional.

If you do not know about Sierra Trading Post check them out. They sometimes have factory seconds of Patagonia or Simms. I know that the Patagonia seconds from Simms are perfect and only have cosmetic issues which can barely be noticed, especially after one wearing.

I do not recommend neoprene waders, ever, unless you like to be cold and wet. Neoprene causes a person to sweat and the sweat stays against the skin or gets trapped and that sweat then freezes.

Good luck. Don't forget a wading staff if you are going to be in any current.

#10 ·
I do not recommend neoprene waders, ever, unless you like to be cold and wet. Neoprene causes a person to sweat and the sweat stays against the skin or gets trapped and that sweat then freezes.

I really can't say that these things have occured or affected my fishing in neoprene. Joe, I based my answer due to the fact you likely do not have 200.00 plus dollars to spend on waders.....trust me, the Cabela's wader will be fine for you. If it is warm, I wade wet so I do not sweat in my waders. As far as being cold. I wear sweatpants with my 5mm waders and have never been uncomfortable.

#12 ·
wader rec

Joe,

You said you are a 'big' guy. Earthworm has no problem with neoprene waders which are fine for him. I had neoprene waders and will never go near them again. The difference is night and day both in terms of usability and comfort. If money is tight there are less expensive options. The Dan Bailey waders for one. Go for a name brand like Orvis but not the high end version. You do get more features the more you pay though. I now look forward to using my breathable waders rather than when I used neo's which I dreaded. They are not easy to get in or out of and I am not big and very agile. You will ulitmately have to choose yourself based on your needs and your budget. A good pair of waders will last a long time and a comforatable pair will get used a lot more often. The only time i do not wear waders is mid summer when the water is relatively warm. If you are doing any river or northeast surf fishing the water rarely gets warm enough to fish for any length of time without some coverage. My advice on winter or cold weather wading is that you will sweat, heavily, even if you do not think you are. Neoprene waders do not breath and though many swear by them, once someone tries non-neoprene they rarely go back. The comfort and convenience factors are too great.

Again the choice is yours based your budget, how/where/when you will use them, other peoples recommendations, etc. If you have an opportunity or the desire order a pair of neoprenes from cabelas and a pair of breathables (check to see what Sierra Trading post has in large sizes) and try them on and see which you prefer. Keep the ones that are most comfy. And like AKO says do not pee in them or fart for that matter unless you like that sort of thing.

#15 ·
Red Ball's never failed me. Thin walled but really tough, I've taken my waders in places they should definatly not be, and they have yet to even show a scratch after four years of hard fishing.

#16 ·
VA fishing and Peeing in wetsuits

AKO32 said:
Hookup, where in No. Virginia do you live? My Mom live4d in Falls Church for umpteen years. I never took advantage of the area fishing wise:( . But, I will be taking advantage of her new local, Lake Toho in Florida:D
I live in Sterling, right next to Dulles Airport, about 10 miles from Falls Church.

If you're into moving water (rivers), we have allot of them to fish. I'm mostly a small mouth chaser, so I'm in river-SM-pig heaven.

I've fished FL, mostly around Orlando and Tampa, and can say they have some of the biggest 'gills, nicest pickeral, and HUGH bass I've seen. (see pix below)

Craig, DON'T pee in your neoprenes, I heard that you will get a terrible rash
Actually, this ain't true. Prior to comming to the east coast, I was a SoCal surfer. Many times when the waves are nice, 4-6 hours surf sessions were not uncommon. In SoCal, it's referred to 'turning-on-the-heater'. Next wave will flush everything out.

Once a year, I'ld wash the wetsuit in some stuff I'ld buy at the surf shop, not because of the heating element, but mostly because of the salt water.

Attachments

#17 ·
Over the past 12 years I have tried 4 different types of waders...I am a big man - 350lbs, comfort, and mobility are very important to me...and hard to come by. Here is what I have learned.... whether you are going to spend $50, or $500 the material you choose is the crux of the matter.

Vinyl - light weight, easy to move around, NO insulation, does not breathe at all....tore the knee on the 2nd day I used them.

Rubber - save it for the S&M scene, bulky, hard to put on, hard to walk, hard to wear, no insulation, and you sweat to death if it is the least bit warm. They will also rot and crack in a couple of years.

Neoprene - I had a custom pair made in the late 90's. They are OK to put on, a little hard to walk in, and if it isn't cold, you sweat enough that you may as well have bare-waded. They will keep you warm in cold water though, but overall, I suggest leaving the neoprene to the divers.

Breathable/GoreTex - this is my 2nd year in GoreTex...no comparison...hands down the best material out there. Light as hell, easy to put on and take off, loose and easy to walk in. If it gets cold add some layers underneath. You do not sweat to death because they really do breathe. Hodgeman has one called the guide light or something like that...under $100.

I suggest always buying stocking foot waders, the boots on the Boot-foot waders are bulky, heavy, do not keep you warm, do not fit well so your foot slides around when you walk, and they make putting the waders on very awkward. the ridgid seam can also irritate your calf very badly if you have long trek to your spot. With a stocking foot wader you can select a nice pair of affordable, VERY lightweight wading shoes that tie on securely, and give you a much more comfortable time when walking to your hole, or wading in the water. Adding a 2nd layer of neoprene sock to a pair of hunting socks, and your feet should be warm even in sub freezing temps.

Noam

#19 ·
wader sale

Just got an email from Al Caucci fishing in NY. He runs a fly tackle and guide shop near the West branch of the delaware. He has a sale on waders and clothing. I have NO affiliation. just being helpful.

The number is (570) 629-2962, or call the DRC (Delaware River Club) at 1-800-662-9359 and
press 2.

Here are the items i noticed you might be interested in.

SHOP TALK:
_
The winter season may mean decreased fishing time for trout on the Delaware River but on the positive side it means BIG BARGINS here at our fly shop._ Listed below are some of our sale items._ All Waders and clothing are new in their original packaging.
_
_

_ Waders and Clothes

Model

Sizes

Retail

Sale Price

Redington

Wind Shear Fleece Jacket

M, L, XL

$99.99

$65.00

Redington

Stratus Rain Jacket

M, L

$99.99

$65.00

Redington

Sureshoe Wading Boot

8, 9, 10

$69.00

$43.00

Solitude

Altima Wading Jacket

M

$225.00

$135.00

Simms

Lightweight Waders

ML, XLK

$229.00

$183

Simms

Guide Model Waders

M, ML, LK, XLK

$350.00

$280

Simms

Guide Boot

8, 9, 10, 12

$110.00

$88
_

#20 ·
Bass

Cityboy said:
Hook-up,

Nice fish!! What lake were you fishing in FL when you caught that one?

Noam
A set of lakes just south of Orlando Int'l Airport. Shaq O'Neil has a house (read mansion) on one of the lakes. I think they're called Baxter Lakes. All lakes are inter-connected with a series of channels. Makes for some cool structure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.