The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to VA to visit my family last Tuesday and go to a music fest (located on a private lake no one fishes). Mom kept the kids so I was free. We camped 3 days at the music fest so since I didn't have to drive the yak was loaded with good IPA. Last year we caught several 5# bass here. Thursday night we had a record storm with 6 inches of rain. There were floods everywhere. The river I fished with my son last week went from 3.5 to 11.5 over night.
Long story short we got well over 100 LM in 3 days, but a ton of dinks. Best went 3 and lots of 2s.
Glasses Sky Sunglasses Goggles Vision care

Monday I was going to fish a lake that gets stocked with trout 2 times a week and the bass are huge and then go to a near by farm where I got a 9 a few years ago and film.
I got to the lake around 6am and water was a few feet high and strained, already hot and blue sky's. I thought this is going to suck. Made one lap around the lake with only one bite. Ok I'm leaving. Wait, black/blue jig and hit those brush piles. Got a 2#. Lets go back and hit all the lay downs. Bam 4#, a 3 and a few 2s. I found a big lay down and slowly bounced my jig. Tap, tap, set my kayak spins around and rod tip is in the water. My heart stopped and I grabbed the net. I have never seen a bass this big. Put the net in the water and she takes off and the hook comes out. She completely straightened out the hook on a strike king jig. I didn't even get pissed, because just seeing that fish was amazing. I fished until the bite died at noon, loaded the boat and got some lunch. I drove 30 minutes to the other pond and when I got there my heart fell. Total mud hole and wrecked. I took a few cast but nothing. Called my mom and said I'll be late. I headed back to the other lake. I ended up getting a bunch more and near dark pickerel started chasing my jig. These aren't NY snot rockets, these are beast. I got 4 but let them shake off. I was fishing a grassy edge where they hang out and on my last cast under a tree in less than a foot something nailed my jig. 4# LM put a smile onto face : )
Sorry so long and thanks if you read the whole thing. Going back tomorrow AM after that monster.
Plant Fish Tree Fisherman Recreational fishing
Sky Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing Fishing

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Must have been a bear!!! - "straightened out the hook on a strike king jig." WOW - I can't believe that on a Strike King, was it the KVD swim with the Gammy? Sweet Bassin' man, wish I could dedicate a full few days to it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Any time a report includes camping I'm already enjoying it . Great time with the family Troy . I'm looking forward to read how you done , going back to locate one that tested your hook. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your time away in VA with the family.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stopped a a Walmart today and got some heavier jigs. Also switching to a heavier rod. If I could have beaten that fish up quicker I would have had her. I was using a 12# fluro leader and both the line and knot held. Not sure I'm using those jigs again

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Must have been a bear!!! - "straightened out the hook on a strike king jig." WOW - I can't believe that on a Strike King, was it the KVD swim with the Gammy? Sweet Bassin' man, wish I could dedicate a full few days to it.
I bend the strike king jig hooks weekly. They are weak when you fish them with braid. I actually lost a few big fish recently because they bent on the hookset to much and the fish were able to shake them.

Great Report Beer. Good fishing.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bend the strike king jig hooks weekly. They are weak when you fish them with braid. I actually lost a few big fish recently because they bent on the hookset to much and the fish were able to shake them.

Great Report Beer. Good fishing.
Hmm. I lost at least 4 nice fish on a hard hook set too. Set, had them on for a second and they got off. I even tried sharpening it. Going with a different jig tomorrow

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hmm. I lost at least 4 nice fish on a hard hook set too. Set, had them on for a second and they got off. I even tried sharpening it. Going with a different jig tomorrow
look at the hooks on those strike kings after you lost some fish. I bet you, you will see they are bent out. I bend them back, and in even more once they bend that first time to kinda counter bend it when I get one. Strike king does have the heavy duty series tho that you will not bend. I have had the bend problem with both their footballs and swimjigs.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right. I bent them back several times. I have the terminator fineness jigs and get a lot of fish on them. They bend easy but the hook diameter is really small and really sticks them. Never lost a fish on them

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
You are right. I bent them back several times. I have the terminator fineness jigs and get a lot of fish on them. They bend easy but the hook diameter is really small and really sticks them. Never lost a fish on them
yeah the terminator jigs are really good. I like them as well. Now that you mention it, I cant say I have really had a fish get off on them due to the hooks.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
look at the hooks on those strike kings after you lost some fish. I bet you, you will see they are bent out. I bend them back, and in even more once they bend that first time to kinda counter bend it when I get one. Strike king does have the heavy duty series tho that you will not bend. I have had the bend problem with both their footballs and swimjigs.
I'll be keeping my eye on this, I use the KVD Swim Jigs, and have not had this problem, but good to know. Thanks SS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.