The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a great trip to Champlain with my two teenaged sons. We stayed at the Motel 6 in Colchester.

We fished from Mallets Bay north to Missisquoi Bay throughout the week. We did really well with smallmouths but our results with largemouths could have been better. Of course we landed plenty of Northerns on spinnerbaits.

Here is a quick summary of the trip.

Day One Mallets Bay.

Got to motel 3 pm on the water by 4. Mallets Bay stayed close. First fish nice LM landed by my son on a chatterbait weeds and rocks # 86. My other son lands a nice SM on spinnerbait photo # 91. Pitched some weed lines and landed a nice LM see photo 87. We finish the day in the lilly pads near the ramp with some frog fish photo #88.

Day Two went out of St. Albans Bay

We fished various places in the bay shallow points and deep on the humps. Carolina rigged a lot of mixed weeds and rock in 10 - 15 ft. Did pretty well around Burton Island and Ball Island. See photo 90. Later in the day went to Woods Island area and the kids put it to me fishing a long point with the drop shot for SM. I was catching 2 lbers and they caught 4's ! See photos 91 and 92.

Day three Missisquoi and North Hero

Started the day by running to Miss Bay and it was a bust. There was such a crazy algae bloom that you could not fish. See photo 93. Got out of there and fished the right side going towards Clark Pt. Nice weeds and rocks. Pitched for some Lm in the thick weeds but got nothing. Caught SM and pike on spinnerbaits. Fished some nice cabbage patches around North Hero but no Lm.

Day Four Mallets again because of weather forecast

Bounced around in Mallets fishing weed lines , humps and rock points. Tough conditions with the wind. Caught a bunch of pike on spinnerbaits from one of the coves. Boated a couple nice SM on spinnerbaits. The scariest part of the trip was when I customized my skeg on a patch of boulders that come way out off Clay Pt. in Outer Mallets Bay. There was nothing on the chart or the GPS to give me any idea how far these rocks came out. It should be marked by a hazard buoy! It could have been way worse. More frog fish near the ramp again to end the day.

Day Five Launched at Cow Banks just outside Outer Mallets

We were greeted by flat water this morning so I decided to run north to the Burton Island / Woods Island area for SM and then work south as the day progressed. Good decision. Got to one of the long points off Wood Is. and began drop shotting outside the weed edge in 17 ft. My first Sm was about 3 nice fish. The next 30 minutes was the best Sm fishing I have ever experienced for big SM. Second fish was a 4.5. Third fish was a 5. four fish was over 4.5. Then the bite died off and we caught several 2 and 2.5 lbers. When I was fighting those big ones in that clear water there was multiple fish under them following them to the surface. Big school of jumbos. See photos 102.

The bite died of there so I went to Ball Island and caught several more nice 3 lbers on the drop shot. Continued south to the Hyde Pt. area and fished some more points and small bays with cabbage and celery weeds. Caught a couple SM on spinnerbaits off the point. Pitched to the thick weed patches and caught a couple nice SM. Went into a small back bay with nice weeds my sons caught a few 2 lb Lm on spinnerbaits. I pitched cabbage patches but no Lm.

I moved to a point and began drop shoting with sparse weeds and rock at 10 ft. I began catching a SM every cast. The boys were catching them also. The bite began with small fish. 8 to 12 inches. I began moving deeper and the fish began to get bigger. we landed at least 30 SM before the wind came up and pushed us off the spot.

It was a great trip fishing a great location with my boys before they get heavily involved with girls. We had a blast.

In summary, I didn't catch nearly was many Lm as in years past. In the past I've done really well pitching baits into cabbage and heavy milfoil beds in 6 -10 ft. this year it didn't seem to work as well. I'm not sure if it was the locations I picked or what? I had done well in some of these locations for Lm before.

I don't like fishing some of the backs of the larger bays for Lm where there is such a big area that you have no idea where the fish way be and it will take you hours to work this big area. I targeted smaller bays with weeds. I wanted to try the area between North Hero and Alburg Tongue McGregor Ledge , Bluff Pt Ledge etc.
which has a good Lm rep but the wind would not allow it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Great SM action!! - Familiar with the region, not specifically Champlain and some of the guys can correct me if I'm wrong . . . But I think the Adirondacks and even more Specifically VT, NH and Maine, while all the lakes have LM, most are SM dominate. For me, downstate, I've been getting a great Smallie bite the last week or so . . . I talked to a guy two days ago, he said something about the White Perch feeding or spawning has something to do with it, not sure if he knew what he was talking about but it sounded good Hahah.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys, one of the baits that I did real well with was a old Venom tube that I drop shoted and rigged on a jig head. The only problem is that I burned up the supple I had and now I'm looking for more and I don't see them in Venoms product line. I bought them from Northern Bass years ago. The tube is 3 1/2 " Dark Melon with gold flake.

If any of one guys may have some by any chance I will pay top price. If not maybe someone can help with some ideas on how to get something real close to that. I'm going to try contacting Venom today.

I'm posting a photo of the tube.

How do you post a image with the URL window ? I'm used to doing it with the browse button?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts