The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is Ari. Some of you remember me from the North Country Roundups on Upper Saranac Lake. As you know we sold our camp on Upper Saranac Lake and our home at Winter Haven, Florida to be closer to all our children and grandchildren on Long Island,NY. As you all know moving is stressful and a pain in the _ss; but I would like to alert you to a matter that concerns us all when using a moving company (a small moving company or a large nationally well-known moving company). I will not name any moving company on the NYBASS.com web site to prevent any issues of liability. We used a well-known nationally known moving company to handle our move from Florida to Long Island, NY. The move involved picking up our belongings from Florida (April 24, 2013), storing our belongings in secure vaults at Orlando for nearly 8 weeks, then delivering them to Long Island (June 25,2013). Before our belongings were picked up at Florida I numbered and inventoried each box (a lesson I had learned from an earlier move). I also placed my name and new Long Island address on each box. There were well protected labels (multiple labels of box numbers, my name and address) on each box.

Now the painful lesson I learned that I want to pass along.

Though I paid for insurance on our shipment, the well known moving company proceeded to lose three boxes (one box had electrical supply items, one box had baseball cards, and the last box had nineteen (19) fishing reels along with over two dozen spools of fishing line. I noticed the that the three boxes were missing after I conducted a detailed review of my boxes and inventory list two days later on June 27, 2013. I immediately alerted the well-known moving company of the 3 missing boxes (and their contents). The moving company said that they would conduct a search/investigation and get back to me. Needless to say, for weeks I chased the moving company asking for a status of their search. Not much success. It seems that the moving company does a quick cursory search and then recommends to the customer (me) to file a claim for lost items. I did file a claim.
I spoke with their representative on Tuesday August 6th, and I was told that the claim was being reviewed and it would take several more days. What a lie. A few days later I get a letter postmarked and dated Monday, August 5th denying my claim. Remember that I spoke with the representative a day after the letter was sent and that the review was still being conducted.

My claim was denied because the day our belongings were delivered on June 25th, I had signed the moving company's inventory that indicates that I had received ALL (and undamaged) belongings (I did so to be a 'nice guy' to allow the moving company employees to start on their return trip home). Based on this my lawyer said that if this matter were brought to a court of law the judge (or an arbitrator) would rule in favor of the moving company, since I had signed the moving company's inventory; and regardless of my owned detailed inventory list, or insurance that I had purchased.

I have been talking with the claims people for days but they do not give a shi_. They state that I signed the inventory list.

I lost over $2,500 in Penn, Citica and Pflueger reels (not to mention the contents of the other two boxes).
The moral of the story is as follows: DO NOT SIGN THE INVENTORY LIST until you had a chance to conduct your own review of the belongings you received. Next time I will ask the moving company employees to find a hotel room until I finish my own review.

I hope this does not happen to anyone of you folks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
WOW Ari, that is bull Crap, Can the Police do anything for you... you know damn well those reels are going to hit E/Bay or a a internet sale board.!!!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'd stay on that moving company. That's total BS. I worked for a moving company between getting out of the military and school. We did mostly gov't like FBI, secret service and witness relocation but also residential. We never lost anything in the 2 years I worked there and very seldom had a damage claim. Did they know what was in the boxes? Did they pack them?

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Ari since the moving company gave you the shaft, put a lean on the company, filed @ your local county clerk for $ 25.00 i have seen it work quickly good luck

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Sorry about your trouble. Now I`ll never move. Really, I would name the company. You have told your true story, & I would think you would be protected by the freedom of speech law. Then tell the mover your going to call your local eyewitness NEWS team. That will get them off their asses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.