The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so are these underwater cameras a good way to pre fish or are they a good way to cheat.what do u guys think.i remember watching a show and roland martin says he uses one.i would love to use this on candlewood mayhopac and lilly to find some more off the shore hot spots.and to see how the fish are relating to the humps and holes i know about.just think you can go over a spot with the camera and look at your depthfinder to see what and how your depthfinder reads.if anything i think it would have you more confident in your sonar usage and deep water fishing.
good fishing dennis

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
I agree with Nick: in a tourney, you are pressed for time, hardly the time for looking at a video screen!!!

Dennis: go for it? what do you think PatX and other people have done already on Maho? it has been extensively Aqua-cammed, believe me.....just another tool, I see nothing wrong with it at all....

the only way I can envision an Aqua-cam as "cheating' is, say, in a tourney, you are watching the video and while your partner is jigging a finesse lure down in the depths near structure, you instruct him when to set the hook!...don't think that hasnt been done!

as we all know, there are a multitude of takes and bites that we never recognize, right down to the very best fishermen on this board....

in that instance, I think it could be viewed as cheating...

however: using it in conjunction with your sonar, map reading, and/or GPS, it is just another tool to help clear the mystery of the underwater world!!!!

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
Justy to clarify!

The underwater camera used by PatX is a Catch Cam supplied by yours truly last year to view some of the lake bottom at Mayo.

With Mike DelVisco and PatX, we used both my cameras and were AMAZED at the findings.

Pat himself said that it helped him understand just exactly what was down there and he still has one of the cameras with him!

Catch Cam is the better of the two "brand names out there".

Tight Lines!

Charlie:cool:

·
It's been a long time...
899 Posts
Bass Rat said:
I see no problem using them in a pre fish situation. Tourny day is another story.
JOHN G said:
...in a tourney, you are pressed for time, hardly the time for looking at a video screen!!!
I agree with both of you.

Video cams have changed the way we understand the underwater environment of fish. For tournament angling, I can see the concerns, although I don't believe I've ever read any rules against the use of video cameras during a tournament.

A few fellas I know use them, whether pre-fishing or "fun" fishing. I've never seen them bother with their cameras during a tournament. Although I've only fished tournaments for two seasons, John's comment seems to be what I have experienced. Time is of the essence during competition fishing, and one tends to concentrate on fishing rather than searching. Sure, there are exceptions, but for the most part, the effort on tournament day is spent on keeping a line wet and searching for strikes - not fish. :yes:

Interesting post. I hope to see more opinions, whatever they may be.

Tight Lines...

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Not for me

I am serious when it comes to bass fishing, but this is where I draw the line. It's way too much a hassle and time consuming dropping a camera trying to find out whats down there.

I would rather learn how to read sonar first than peering down where the fish lives......

LIke Rob J mentioned, I dont see any rules concerning the use of cameras nor do I hear any pros giving credit to its usage.

Plus, Im a shallow water fisherman more than deep , so really the camera is out, in my book. ....

Joe

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
OK Joe,
but how do you feel about keeping toilet paper on your boat during a tournamnet? and..which brand do you prefer to use? LOL:eek:

I agree with you though...I dont have the time to be playing around with a camera. Then again, if I had one I might be tempted to take a peek or two.

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
Never seen one in use, how good are they? More to the point how much area can you see at one time? Just learned with sonar how small of an area you are really looking at is it the same with one of these cameras?

·
8,124 Posts
Anyone have a "cam" they want to lend for a day ! :D

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The State fed a few years back banned scuba diving during practice. Before they banned it it wasn't cheating, after the ban it was.

So in response to the original question I'd say it's fair game...........For now. If there's no rule against it then it's not cheating. Besides camera manufacturers could make good sponsors. Wouldn't wanna blow that.

As for the cameras I've been toying with the idea of buying one for years just never took the plunge. The thought of seeing what's down there does have me intrigued though.

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
The State Federation has it in their rules that underwater cameras are not allowed during the tournamet, or the official practice period immediately before the tournament.

I have viewed through them on several occasions, and can definitely see a use for them. For instance, in deeper water areas you consistantly catch fish in, but can't figure out what is holding these fish. Drop a camera and see what it is! As far as searching for fish, you are better off using your knowledge of fish location combined with a good depth finder, IMO.

Last year I was using Sea Jack's camera on Silver Lake ice fishing for perch. Over the coarse of the entire day, I never once got a bite, even in multiple holes across the lake. One would say "there's no fish down there!". But with a camera, I saw over a hundred perch (some very big ones) all check out my jig, and many came within an inch or so of taking it. For some reason, every one of them turned and swam away at the last moment, no mtter what I did with the jig. Without the camera, I would have said "there nothing down there" :D Many other guys reported the same thing at that lake all Winter long.

I don't have a camera myself, but see myself getting one someday. Right now, it isn't very high on the priority list.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I own an underwater camera, and I think it was a wise investment. I really liked it to gain confidence in deepwater fishing. Looking at my graph, now I can have a pretty good idea of what the bottom actually looks like. If something is unclear on the graph, I can put the camera down and it all makes sense.

I remember fishing Canandaigua last year and the graph showed what I thought was 28 feet of water with thick weeds growing four feet off the bottom and just stoping there. It seemed weird. I put the camera down, and sure enough that was exactly what was going on. Just gaining confidence in what you see on your graph makes it worth it to me.

Additionally, like Noel said, it is amazing how often you will swear that "there are no fish here" and the camera will prove otherwise. The key is to find biting fish. I think it was jiggin-piggin that told me just cause you see them it doesn't mean you can catch them.

That being said, I rarely use it any more. I carry it with me still, but it doesn't see the water too often. The lessons have been learned. The entertainment value is excellent, however. Any time I take out a non fisherman the camera will be in the boat. It's pretty fasinating.

The camera that I have views about ten to twevle feet foward and the width is pretty good. I'm not sure what the width of the view is, but it is sufficient in my opinion. I was impressed by the quality of the picture. If the picture looks fuzzy, it's time to recharge the battery.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
wnybassman said:
The State Federation has it in their rules that underwater cameras are not allowed during the tournament, or the official practice period immediately before the tournament.
Thanks for that update Noel, I hadn't realized. How long ago did they rule cameras out? Or was that always a rule and I never knew it?

That's interesting because I know a lot of clubs (mine included) base their rules and bylaws on the State fed.

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
JP. It is a part of Rule #3:

During the official practice and during the official tournament a competitor may not have the assistance or advice of, nor enter the tournament waters with anyone who has been on the waters during the off-limits period, or a professional guide, State or Federal wildlife employee, or any other person deemed a local expert on these tournament waters by the Tournament Committee unless they are a contestant in the tournament. During the official practice and during the official tournament, a competitor may not "SKIN DIVE", "SCUBA DIVE", or use underwater cameras ON THE TOURNAMENT WATERS.

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
Something I forgot to add was that the Catch Cam also comes with a telescopic pole which can help you reach under docks, and sunken tree's etc helping you position the camera into the exact place you want it and show you what NO graph could ever do. I used my camera to also watch my lures in the water and how they react to rod or reel motion. It was a great way of watching a jig hop towards you in 20 feet of water and a spinnerbait reaction to sharp downward "snaps" of the rod tip! It was an amazing sight!

I too have looked at my fish finder readings and seen grass, rocks and stumps, but with the help of the camera I was able to determine hollowed out sections of trees and rocks that formed "cave like" structures etc, where you know bigger bass will hang out! You cant see this stuff from "up top"!

Tight Lines!

Charlie:cool:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
wnybassman said:

a competitor may not "SKIN DIVE", "SCUBA DIVE", or use underwater cameras ON THE TOURNAMENT WATERS.
That's funny because I remember the scuba part but not the camera part. Was that added on latter or is my memory shot?........Wait, don't answer that. :p

I remember a guy who was using a swimming mask and leaning over the side of his boat for a closer look. That was deemed unacceptable by the state.

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
I believe it was tacked on the end of the rule about 3 years ago.

The mask thing I can see as being a safety issue. Imagine that on Lake Erie?!? LOL!!

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
I think they are fun

I got one last year for Xmas...and used it every now and then....it's cool looking for fish...getting someone to work the trolling motor while you watch the screen. I plan to use it more next spring and this winter to find fish. But I'm always tempted to fish...and not use the camera. They are fun....but seeing them...and catching them is two different things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts