The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just bought my first fishing boat. A 2008 stratos 285xl pro. Super excited about it and am upgrading the trolling motor. I’m buying a minnkota Ulterra. But I don’t know what shaft length to buy. The boat has a 45” on it already. Do I want to switch to a 60”? Do I want to switch from a 24v to a 36v? Anyone have any advice for a newbie?? Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey guys. I just bought my first fishing boat. A 2008 stratos 285xl pro. Super excited about it and am upgrading the trolling motor. I’m buying a minnkota Ulterra. But I don’t know what shaft length to buy. The boat has a 45” on it already. Do I want to switch to a 60”? Do I want to switch from a 24v to a 36v? Anyone have any advice for a newbie?? Really appreciate it.
Had a few 21' bass boats, all had 45 in shafts. Unless your hitting big water, the 45 is just fine. 36v is ideal, but 24 will do the trick for you. Be very careful if you fish shallow. If you bump the motor it will throw the belt and timing off for auto stow and deploy. Happened to me a few times. If you can, look at the ultrex. The auto stow/deploy is cool, but it comes with its own set of isues

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had a few 21' bass boats, all had 45 in shafts. Unless your hitting big water, the 45 is just fine. 36v is ideal, but 24 will do the trick for you. Be very careful if you fish shallow. If you bump the motor it will throw the belt and timing off for auto stow and deploy. Happened to me a few times. If you can, look at the ultrex. The auto stow/deploy is cool, but it comes with its own set of isues
And dont forget, if your boat is set up for 24v, you'll need to upgrade the charger to 36v as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Peter. Are you saying I should stay away from the Ulterra and go with the Ultrex can you give me some reasons why
The ulterra is cool with its auto stow/deploy, but that means more things to go wrong. I was fishing shallow and bumped the motor. I hit the stow and it got stuck 1/2 way through the cycle. Had to take it apart on the water to reset the belt. This happened a few times, so I recommend an ultrex. I have a ghost now and would go back to an ultrex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Ulterra, switched to the Ultrex, much better in my opinion.
My batteries got weak one day and I couldn't stow it, fun on the water trying to take it apart.
Yeah, not lifting that motor is nice but I'm happier now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts