The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About six years ago JohnG and I fished Whaley and he proceeded to kick my ass using tubes in the south end. Not having the experience or confidence, I still didn't fish them after that, but I did remember his suggestion that internal vs. external jigs were key to catching them.

My first outing with Ronnie (MrJig) was a wake up call and though I brought only one tube (one of many he suggested the day before), I caught smallmouth and largemouth until the tube was too destroyed to be of further use. Luckily the pattern was shallow and over hard pack with almost no weeds that would have been a pain on an unprotected hook point.

Now, since I have my own personal outdoor laboratory (my pond) that has thick milfoil in many spots in depths of 6', I knew that to get through those weeds (as MarkG had demonstrated years ago), I would need to either Texas rig them or make the jigs weedless.

Areas that needed to be penetrated by a weedless jig

Note: the line tie on top allows for the unique action that gives the lure it's magic appeal (again according to MrJig), such that it constantly changes direction with each rod tip twitch. This I noticed immediately in my clear water/ slightly stained pond water when I jigged the lure on bottom.

After experimenting with different wire tests and methods of installing the weedless wire spring, I came up with an easy way to attach the wire weed guard.

Note: larger blunt nosed and 3 1/2" body tubes not only have been catching more bass, but seem to not get snagged as often in rocks and I never get hung working the lure between submerged tree limbs or skipping under branches to shallow shaded areas.

Note: the jigs that were cut off in front or back of the line tie were a bit heavy at 3/8oz, so I reduced the weight on some as needed.

I can also rig it attached to craw style baits for punching using 3/8 to 1/2 jig heads:

The first time I used it in different heavy weed areas, I got hit by bass of different weights. After that, it was just a matter of using the set up in different scenarios on Orange Lake (laboratory II). The results were phenomenal! Every time I've gone out, I've caught bass from eight inches to over 3 lbs., whether it be off solid rock drops and rock walls to pad pockets or flipping weed indentations. Yesterday I got a 2 3/4 lb bass on my first cast to a weed indentation near an outside edge in 3' of water. All told, I've caught over twenty bass in the last month using the tube vs. the jig which for some reason hasn't been as productive.

If you wonder if the guard deters the bite, here are some of the aggressive tykes that hit the tube on second or even third casts! :

Retirement has been great, allowing for the full concentration and imagination to work on problems needing solutions, while integrating tips from those more experienced in different areas. Thanks again to John, Ronnie and Mark!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I like to stuff the tube with an old piece of Senko and reverse hook it. For weeds add a bullet weight. Then drop it in a hole in the weeds and jig it and let the skirt do its thing

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The action of a reverse rig would not be the same as the conventional jig head rig but I can see it's uses. If I were to reverse a Texas rig, I would use a screwed in sinker in the nose of this type of craw tube:

weight screwed into the nose of a wacky rig, for example, but instead would be screwed into the nose of a reverse hooked tube:

(note: the hook would be reversed; ignore the caption)

The rig would have a Flying Lure action if the weight wasn't too heavy similar to the Flappin' Hog rigged here (for those not familiar with the reverse hook technique):

Again, the hop on bottom or jerk at mid depth, causes the tube with conventional eye on top, near the nose, to dart back and forth similar to a fluke. There are many punch lures and rigs using heavy weights forward of the hook tie, but all do the same thing - dive to the bottom and hopefully stand up as part of the action:

None can do what the tube does.

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
there certainly is a lot of baits out there all are pretty good and some GREAT - but in my opinion a few rubber worms and a bunch of tubes will pretty much guarantee some fish - another oldy but goody that no one seems to use that much any more is one that i still keep a few of is the curly tail jig. used to love the BPS tripple ripple

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.