The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Downsizing My Lures...PLEASE HELP!

Hello!...new member to the board here and had a question.

I fish the Finger Lakes of NYS and am looking to downsize my lure selection. These lures include crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinner baits.

What I am looking for is feedback suggesting makes, colors, sizes of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits that will bring in the most bass in this region.

Any ideas and/or suggestions about the top makes, colors, and sizes that fishermen like yourselves have used with success in this area would be greatly appreciated.

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Im sure you'll get some answers to your question.

But tell us a little more about yourself, Haulin Bass. Where you fish regularly, are you a tournament angler? What is your fishing style?

Are you trying to downsize the number of your lures or the size of your lures....

Welcome aboard to NYBASS...lots of helpful and friendly people here.....

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Joe, thanks for the reply.

I am a tournament angler and usually fish Cayuga, Keuka, Seneca, Canisius, and Honeoye Lakes.

My fishing style consists of Flipping, Spinnerbaits, Jerkbaits, and Crankbaits. I am trying to downsize the number of lures and find out which ones (colors, size, etc.) anglers have had the most success with.

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to discussing BASS with the fellow board members.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't downsize...take it all !!!

Seriously...

Although I am not a Tx angler, I have had to edit my bags on occasion...

You could refer to your fishing diary and see what fish you caught, on what lake, at what time of year, etc and that should put you in the ballpark on what to pack per lake...Thats, because you know it worked...The stuff that doesn't work for you, or that you have never tried, should be easily eliminated from your bag...

As far as specifics you really have to decide, but i would take at least two cranks for each depth range-- shallow, med, DD...One in a tight wobble and one in a wide...And add some lipless cranks in 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz in the basic color patterns...Go heavier on these in the spring and fall, somewhat lighter in the summer...As far as jerks, I would take at least 6 balsa and perhaps double that in plastic for the springtime, less in the summer and somewhere in between for the fall...Think about basic color patterns Chrome/blue, chart, craw, etc with respect to your hardbaits and again draw from yours or others experience with the lake you are hitting...

Spinnerbaits, modify a Plano 3700 box witha Dremel tool to have only 4-6 fat compartments...Then just dump all your 1/2 oz, 3/8 oz, 1/4 oz etc in separate compartments as needed...Take one or more of those compartment for blades, SB swivels, skirts, etc...Take as many SB as you can pack in there...The diferent SB arrangements you can make on the water will give you much more versatility, and in a hurry too...It's not much, just one Plano 3700, thats all...

For plastics:..Stuff a few of each similarly colored plastic in a ziploc bag...This way if they bleed, no harm done...I keep my T-rig stuff ( creatures, worms, lizards and even tubes ) in one bag of similar color...I keep my senkos separate, but employ the same principle in merging colors unless they are scented differently...

After that, I form a go-to box...That is the 90% box...The stuff i will probably go to 9 out of 10 times...This is a a separate Plano 3700 and usually have that opened next to me on the boat at all times...Its mostly plastics that never change for the year, but a few choice hardbaits make it in there often enough...

Take all this with a grain of salt, for I am but a lowly reservoir fisherman in NY...Some of the many good TX guys here will have a much better insight as to your plight and i am sure will have great ideas...

Welcome to the board Haulin...

Mark D

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
The bootm line is, buy baits you actually throw and eliminate stuff that just sits around in your box. Keep some jigging spoons and specialty items handy. Narrow your choices downto say 3 crankbaits, 2 topwaters, 3 types or brands of soft plastic and a jig or two. No need to carry six of everything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
crankbait selection

I just moved from NY to Alabama, and now I deal with very stained water. I never realized how much I used to rely on the tighter-wobbling cranks (shad raps, AC shiner, etc.) My rule of thumb is clear water, tighter wobble, and dirty water, use wider wobblers. I also keep in mind that more active fish also find the wide/erratic ones faster.

·
Banned
5,935 Posts
Haulin Bass, welcome!

One thing we dont know is what the staple forage is in those lakes is. Well, some of us do, like our WNY anglers, but I personally don't. Since those are bigger, and therefore probably clearer, lakes it helps to match the hatch. At least in my opinion.

If you're dealing with alewives, go with those coloers. Same for shads, minnowes, etc...

Mark

·
Registered
242 Posts
Haulin,

What tournies do you fish? We may have met in the past at a WNY tourney.

Anyway, what Earthworm said is really true. Take a look at what you carry. There will be things that you have in the boat that you did not even use this year....or you carry them when you don't need them. For example, why carry grass frogs while smallie fishing in December?? Not gonna be needed. If you want to cut back on what you carry, group "types" together in plano 5700 boxes and only carry the boxes you need for the day and water you will be fishing.

If nothing else, just carry jerkbaits in the spring, senkos in the summer and tubes in the fall....:D

Seth V

1 - 8 of 8 Posts