The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am an Army transplant stationed at Fort Drum. I grew up in Kansas. Kansas has a total of about 5 lakes. It was a 2-3 hour drive to get to any one of them. They were all state parks which meant that you could just go there, walk to the shore and start fishing. Also, there were no trees (it was Kansas) so the entire lake was more or less available on foot. Since moving to upstate, I have made several efforts to get out to a lake and do some shore fishing. I have been to Lakes Bonaparte, Black Lake, Indian Lake (this one was ... interesting to get to) Black River Bay, and a few other places and what I run into is that any available shoreline is taken up by residential or is not walkable due to trees etc. I am resisting buying a boat because I move every two or so years and I (my wife) think it would be a pain to move it across the country every few years. I have scoured the internet to find a post or two about shore/bank fishing and have found very little. People don't want to broadcast to the entire internet where the good spots are. This is understandable, but maybe someone could give me a tip on how better to find some fishable bankline.

·
Tinman
552 Posts
There is so much good water around you that's impossible to hit from shore that I would just go on Craigslist and buy a used kayak or canoe. Something you can throw in the truck or on the roof of your car in 5 minutes. When it comes time to move, sell it.

Henderson Harbor, Sackets Harbor, Black River Bay, Sandy Pond, Chaumont, 1,000 Islands... You've got LOTS of good water around you right now. Take advantage of it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is excellent advice! You are living in a terrific area if you like to fish. You could get a lot of great use out of a yak!
There is so much good water around you that's impossible to hit from shore that I would just go on Craigslist and buy a used kayak or canoe. Something you can throw in the truck or on the roof of your car in 5 minutes. When it comes time to move, sell it.

Henderson Harbor, Sackets Harbor, Black River Bay, Sandy Pond, Chaumont, 1,000 Islands... You've got LOTS of good water around you right now. Take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spent 10 years there before retiring in 2010, MWR has great selection. Might have to sit through a class, but they have kayaks to boats needing a trailer. If I remember they even have the car top mounts if you need them. Used theirs all the time before I bought mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.