1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
590 Posts
What you have is a 12 volt motor that has to be powered by a 12 volt battery. The proper battery is one that is rated in AH, ampere hours. You really need one that is at leastm35 AH and will bethe size of.a small car battery. It has to be charged by a suitably sized 12 volt charger. All this is going to be tough on your budget. The battery is going to cost at least $75 and the charger $50 but they will last long after you get your degree.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Buy the biggest Deep Cycle battery you possibly afford and a 3 stage charger, costs more but will reward you with longer life. Check for sales, they come up periodically. Also check ebay for sales.
Rodney

·
"Jigg'in""
117 Posts
Important to charge the battery immediatly after use. This will pro long the the battery life.

·
Registered
567 Posts
if your interested i have a good charger and decent battery, battery at full charge is 12.7volts, but has 178ah, should give you at least 6 hours if not more of juice, $50 for both, but need to pick up in manhattan.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As a general rule batteries weigh about .7 pounds per AH. You won't be trailering this so you will have to carry your battery from the launch to the car. This may oR not be a big deal but there are launches where I would not look forward to carrying a 50 pounder all the way up. Just another thing to consider. Buying more than you need is better than less than you need but it's not the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
battery should be charged after use, wouldn't hurt to throw it on a charger before. That charger above is nice... i use schumacher chargers... Ac delco voyager batteries have a nice carry handle... other batteries I don't know. we could help you more to know what kind of trolling motor and your application. If your are looking portable, I've always said rig an old cooler as a battery box... easy to carry...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.