The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have become obsessed with "walking the dog", and of couse buying rods and reels, I am currently looking for a new topwater set-up. I think I want shorter rather than longer, and slower rather than faster. I am thinking of a M/MF 6' 3" Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth and a 6.4:1 Lew's Tounament Pro. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two Lew's, the entry-level Speed Spool and the Tournament MG which I got a bargain on EBay. (I was looking at the BB1 at the time, but the price was too hard to beat on the MG.) Fenwick just has M/F. Hard to get a M with a short rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're looking new look at Colgards Outdoor Sports for the Lew's reels . Their prices are 20% less then Cabelas, BPS, and Tackle warehouse everyday. Check them out, great service too. Ordered a Lew.s tournament pro and a tournament MG as well as some lures. Got some lures at Tackle warehouse and Cabelas on sale too but Colgards reel prices were great. Check reel model numbers to see what you want because prices are that much lower.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I have two Lew's, the entry-level Speed Spool and the Tournament MG which I got a bargain on EBay. (I was looking at the BB1 at the time, but the price was too hard to beat on the MG.) Fenwick just has M/F. Hard to get a M with a short rod.
I just got the same sweet deal on the Tournament MG..just couldnt pass it up..and I really love the reel..win-win..

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I'm convinced reel speed doesn't matter - you adjust to what you're using. I used to have an Alphas 5.8:1 (23 IPT) on my TW/JB rod. Now it's a Zillion 7.1:1 (30 IPT). I like them both. The primary concern to me, is that the reel is comfortable while walking, twitching, jerking, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts