The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good mono or copoly for topwater applications-jitterbugs, poppers, puppies and props? I had been using Lake Fork Powersilk, which floated very nicely, but have grown not to like its other qualities, or lack there of. Between the birds nests and break-offs, I am down to a minimal spool, and need a new line.

Thanks,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I use YoZuri Hybrid and the P-Line CX Premium and Fluoroclear on some other rods. I have been using the P-Line for a while, and I like it. I am new to the YoZuri, and I like it as well. (As an aside, I have been using some Sunline Super FC Sniper and FX Braid and like that too.). I threw some Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Cast. Nice, but it dosn't float as well as the Lake Fork.

Is it fair to assume that thinner line will allow a Sppok, or some similiar lure, to walk easier? I don't walk it very well, maybe I shoild try using a spinning reel.

·
Many Experts, No Pros!
2,069 Posts
10 and 12 lb yozuri hybrid. I've been using it for a few years now and like it a lot.
I've been using the Yozuri stuff (8lb test) for decades and love it. However, with those poppers I tend to get bird nests so it just takes some care to keep that from happening. Otherwise every other top water lure I use I have no issue with the line spilling off.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
30# braid works for me. I lot of tourny guys I know fish 15# mono. I hate mono
+1 on the braid.... I use 30lb power pro and a 6ft (or shorter) leader. Braid floats and the leader gives me a bit of "invisibility", abrasion against toothies, and avoids tangling in the hooks on casts like braid can do at times with trebles.

J.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'll use the leader at times too. There is a big difference on how a lure like a spook will handle it though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.