The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using an All Star Rod, 6'4", TAS Series (M/F) (spinnerbait) rod for topwater, buzz baits and lighter spinnerbaits. I find it a bit heavy. I recently purchased a newer All Star Rod 6' 10" AST (MH/MF) (spinnerbait rod) for buzz baits and heavier spinnerbaits. (Niceer rod by the way and lighter.)

Assuming I use neither casting rods for topwater lures like Spooks, what rods out there would be better?

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I use a Saint Croix Avid, AVC62MXF. It has a sort rear grip, and is about as long as a 6'6" rod infront of the reel seat, making it easy to use downward strokes without the tip splashing in the water. The x-fast taper has a very quick revovery when twitching, and the medium power flexes enough to protect treble hooked fish, but has plenty of power for bigger fish. The largest I've caught with it was a 12# northern, and accidental by catch in a tournament.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I use a Saint Croix Avid, AVC62MXF. It has a sort rear grip, and is about as long as a 6'6" rod infront of the reel seat, making it easy to use downward strokes without the tip splashing in the water. The x-fast taper has a very quick revovery when twitching, and the medium power flexes enough to protect treble hooked fish, but has plenty of power for bigger fish. The largest I've caught with it was a 12# northern, and accidental by catch in a tournament.
GREAT choice John!.....I use a 6'3 AvidMXF also and it's really good for topwater!!!....funny just last night I tried my Legend Tournament 6'10 MXF for topwater and it castes a mile.and I got a few nice smallies as well.......I may end up trying it next boat trip and see it I like it for a permanent topwater rod......I agree the XF tip is better suited for topwater........

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I have a 6-8 Avid M/XF (spinnerbait rod) that works in a pinch as well. I have three of the 6-3 spinning Avids - 2x ML/XF, and a M/XF. Those little Zell pops fish great on either, despite them being vertical drop shot rods.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Topwater rod

So, then, on paper (or should I say on water), the XF tip is best for walking the dog? Why do most recommend a 6.0 speed reel? I seem to think a slower speed would be better. As an aside, I bought that yellow, Lucky Craft Iron Athlete Mono Topwater Line. Although only 110 yards on a spool, and expensive at $12 at Tackle Warehouse, it floats great and casts beautifully.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I don't think reel speed matters. I went from a slow 23 IPT Alphas to 32 IPT JDM Zillion with no problem. Feeling comfortable in your hand is more important, especially if you're going to use it a lot.

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
I don't think reel speed matters. I went from a slow 23 IPT Alphas to 32 IPT JDM Zillion with no problem. Feeling comfortable in your hand is more important, especially if you're going to use it a lot.
I thought reel speed (for topwaters) was important for frog fishing. For the rest speed shouldn't matter to much. Faster reel may be tough for walking the dog.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
First, we're not talking hollow bellied frogs, though I have no issues with my slow TD-X (~26 IPT) with frogging. Also, I am actually digging my Zillion burner for spooks and the like. It's all about practice and adjustment. You can pretty much make any speed reel work well for what ever retrieve you need. The notion that you *MUST* have this or that for some specific bait or technique is usually reserved for for some other aspect of the system - more likely the rod, and then the line. People miss the common sense stuff. Spooks and jerbaits require a lot of rod input and movement, so you beter have a rig that's comfortable to hold, and nicely balance, if a a little tip heavy. Otherwise, your hand will tire out, and even cramp. For frogs, a reel that holds enough heavy braid, and has a metal frame and strong drag is more important than gear ratio or even casting distance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts