The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to throw a quick report together from a trip that Skeeter9 and myself had on Friday the 19th. We decided to hit 'Toga on the tail end of the 5 days of 90+ degrees here in CNY. We were not sure what we would be getting in to since it has been so hot. We met around 4:45 and were on the water by 5:15 at the latest. The trip started out pretty rough as one preserver went flying off the boat when we first got on the throttle. Turn around and pick it up. Hit the throttle again and my sunglasses fly off, luckily they land in the back and I saved them. Then to top it off about 10 seconds later we see what looks like paper flying. I asked Skeeter9 what was that, he said not sure. 2 seconds later he realizes it was the envelope of money he had in his pocket. We quickly turned around to search, nothing, nadda, nicht...some where out there is a few $20.00 bills. Definitely not a good start to the day. Water temps ranged from 82-85 and we fished anywhere from 7-20' with a very specific type of weed cover throughout the day. We hit our first spot that has produced for me and us the last time we went. I caught a short on on a KVD Caffeine Shad in Pearl Blue Glimmer. We probably fished this spot too long as there was nothing. We then hit a spot out in the lake where we picked up a few more. we picked at them here for 45 minutes or so. Skeeter9 was throwing a small 4.5" worm in a green color in a makeshift Carolina Rig and I was throwing a dropshot with 6.5" sexy shad Roboworm. We noticed a few more bass boats than normal for a Friday morning and we figured possibly people pre-fishing for a tournament over the weekend. From what we could tell we were the only ones really bringing anything in. After spot we moved to another location but ended up hitting a spot we saw that held the weed cover we were looking for. Skeeter9 hit a rockie on his first cast with a drop shot and I hit a largemouth with my first cast as well. We picked up a few more and then moved to what would be our best move of the day. We really were not hamering to say but already had a dozen in the boat and it was around 9:30/10:00. I decided to switch my drop shot bait to a Zoom Z drop in Green Weenie. This was the ticket as I started to pick up some larger fish and now bringing them in more often as well. Skeeter9 switched over to a Roboworm in very similiar color as well and started picking them up as well. We stayed in this sport for a while and rounded out a very nice bag. Overall we probably had a 12-13 lb bag for 5 fish in about 5-6 hours of fishing. To round out what we thought ended up being a pretty good day after what happened when we started ended on a sour note. On the way back to the lauch unfortunately the hose that hits the speedometer in Skeeter9's Ranger disconnected and water was pouring out of his consoul. At this point we were still pretty far South so it was a long trolling motor trip back to the launch in rough water. Besides the bonus Rockbass I picked up two Walleye on a dropshot. Here are picks that I had from the day.

A nice start to the morning

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I know when they store the speed boats, they either Tape Back or retract the speedo tube under the boat, of course this would require a dive in the lake but should stop the water anyway - Some Bad Luck there, the Boat's just toooo FAST!! - Nice action.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
all you had to do to fix that speedo hose was tilt the motor up and disconnect it from the bottom unit hole port itself or just push it back on under the dash...2 second fix. Boat speedo's are pointless anyways.

Rough day of fishing,....but it could have been worse. Good going.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't get under the dash. On his boat the whole console would need to come off to get to it. At the time it happened the waves were between 1-3 feet and I didn't feel like taking a dip at that point.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wasn't that easy of a fix because of the inability to access the issue on the water- I have done it before on my previous skeeter which was a lot more accessible. The issue wasn't with speedometer it was actually the pressure gauge. Unfortunately I could not reach the back of the gauge without removing the face plate on the console which required a torx screwdriver which I didnt have in the boat, once I got it home and was able to remove the faceplate I was able to re-attach it and add a clamp to make sure it doesn't happen again. Access from below the console was non existent. The Skeeter was a lot easier to work on for sure. I know the trolling motor works really well now and I now carry torx screwdrivers and zip ties. Like a floating repair shop if needed. Aside from that the fishing was awesome, I will post a couple pics tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.