The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering, that I'm just getting back into Bass fishing and starting to get serious about learning the trade, I got some lessons this past weekend, which will serve me well moving forward. It was tough going with the heat and I'm assuming "post-spawn" conditions.

I thought I had accounted for these factors, but "on-the-water" experience is the only real supplement to my prior planning.

So anyway, I was officially skunked the first morning 7/4, from about 6AM to 9:30AM, it was clear and water was warm, maybe 3-4 feet visibility then cloudy water under that. But I'm still in the same ole' pattern, whipping the Jig up to the bank and swimming in through the shallows, changed locations, went deeper, went shallower, tried all my baits/lures, but still swimming them on a medium retrieve speed.

I couldn't get down with the idea of committing to a slower presentation, until I was skunked that first morning. Without electronics, its tough to commit to the large open water as well, I have maps and such but still to fish the "depths" didn't make sense in my mind, after all, I've been pulling big fish off the banks since the Spring, right?

Well, that was then and this is now. I committed myself to the depths (~10-15 FT.), large points and steep drop offs, letting that Jig drag the bottom, swimming/jigging then settling it down and sitting it there, its brutally slow going and certainly not my preference, but it worked. Covering that much water that slowly without electronics, I only bagged about 15 Bass total on the next 2 mornings. Including the 5 Lbs. Horse below, that was a great catch - Admittedly, he weighed in @ 4 Lbs. 15 Oz. and some change, a few more shad or if I'd left the jig in there and he'd been 5 Even.

One issue, with fishing that slow, I did fatally gut hook the bass I'm holding in the pic where I'm wearing the Orange Hat. Felt terrible about that one, I didn't feel him on the line though, as I was undoing some twist at the time. I saw him bleeding in the water and was hoping I had just nicked a gill or something, but it became apparent when I boated him. It was a Shame.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Nice job...Our hobby should be called adapting, not fishing.....way to roll w/ the changes and hook up!...I hate slow fishing also, dragging slowly across the bottom, but you know what....it works...can't argue w/ that.....so sometimes it's better to chill and relax and reap the rewards of patience than pull youir hair out trying.......The reward is worth is....Nice report

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried a little drop shot action as well, I got one perch and one blue gill, don't know if the bait I'm using is too small or what? At first I was using a small smelt type swim bait on a #2 D/S Gammy, but that hook is pretty small, is that the right hook to be using? I also have #1's that are a bit bigger? Once I started catching them on the jig, I stuck with it pretty much, also caught 1 or 2 off a weightless Senko, just letting it sink down there and inhaled.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hook sizes are good.
Tons of good DS worms and minnow imitations. Just make sure they float it will give them lots more action on the DS setup.
Only reason I suggested DS is because u can drop it down and probe deep water much quicker and more efficiently then dragging a jig along the bottom.
If u got a lure that's catching-fish it!

·
GET THE NET!
345 Posts
Looks like they're still biting OK for you by the pictures. During our last discussion, I posted some baits that worked for me in my last tournament up there......here they are again for you to reference.

Some drop-shot baits I'd recommend would be watermelon Yamamoto shad shape worms, Xzone slammer in greenpumpkin purple and a black 4 inch power worm.

If your around next year, I'm sure my club will have another tournament up there, maybe you could enter the tournament and have some fun. I fish as a non-boater and try and absorb as much information as I can while on the water. Fishing a tournament on your home lake will open your eyes to some areas/baits that you may not have even thought about. Be warned....you may catch the tournament bug.

:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like they're still biting OK for you by the pictures. During our last discussion, I posted some baits that worked for me in my last tournament up there......here they are again for you to reference.

Some drop-shot baits I'd recommend would be watermelon Yamamoto shad shape worms, Xzone slammer in greenpumpkin purple and a black 4 inch power worm.

If your around next year, I'm sure my club will have another tournament up there, maybe you could enter the tournament and have some fun. I fish as a non-boater and try and absorb as much information as I can while on the water. Fishing a tournament on your home lake will open your eyes to some areas/baits that you may not have even thought about. Be warned....you may catch the tournament bug.

:)
Thanks Man appreciate the baits and I'll keep my eye out for the Tourney.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts