The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We go to our local lake and fish pretty shallow (3-12 feet) for perch. Only thing is, we get about a 65 to 35 percent ratio of sunfish to perch. We don't take the sunfish, so I was wondering if anyone knew tricks for targeting perch more precisely. We use both jigheads with a small piece of worm, and a simple #8 hook with a splitshot about 8 inches above.

Those gluttonous sunfish are so damn aggressive though. When sight-jigging, you can see both species come up, and have to pull it away from the sunnies if you can.

I did notice that perch eyes rather than worms got more perch than sunfish towards the end of the day, that's something...

Anybody have tips to separate out the perch and target them more?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Inline spinners, small jerk baits, grubs on jig heads. I don't fish for them a lot but that is usually what works. They also seem to be a little deeper than blue gills

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the past I've had good luck catching larger "jack" perch (1 to 2#'s) in deeper water (20 to 30 FOW). The baits that produced best were vertically jigged Swedish Pimples, Rapala Jigging Minnows, and small white or yellow Mr. Twister grubs on ball-head jigs. Perch tend to run in schools by size, so when you connect with a good one, watch your graph and stay on top of them and you can load the boat.

I've heard some older guys say that perch eyes work like magic, but never done that myself.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
when targeting Crappie there is no avoiding the Bluegill / Sunny making its way on the line and at times when the stars line up correctly the Perch will make themselves known . I isolate the Perch by removing the bobber as unless the Crappie are really aggressive they usually take the suspending lure or bait , it matters not to the Bluegill or Sunny but the Perch zero in on a descending lure moving in faster , more times than a few . cast and let the lure fall twitching your rod tip on your retrieve staying in contact with it you will know the Perch strike is different from the others . My go to for targeting these fish are

http://imageshack.us

If you are targeting these fish for the table , do not underestimate the Bluegill / Sunny of quality size . Good luck , return with the report , there are not nearly enough multi species reports .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I mostly do a drop-shot rig with Emerald Shiners as bait. Of course, use light tackle. The slightest little nudge, even if it looks like the sinker just moved, set the hook. Works on the Niagara River yellow perch, and works like a charm. Might get a bluegill or two, but I can easily catch 30-40 yellow perch with a ratio of 1 bluegill to 15 perch. Give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
658 Posts
In the past I've had good luck catching larger "jack" perch (1 to 2#'s) in deeper water (20 to 30 FOW). The baits that produced best were vertically jigged Swedish Pimples, Rapala Jigging Minnows, and small white or yellow Mr. Twister grubs on ball-head jigs. Perch tend to run in schools by size, so when you connect with a good one, watch your graph and stay on top of them and you can load the boat.

I've heard some older guys say that perch eyes work like magic, but never done that myself.
X2

if I am getting to many bluegills, I try hugging the bottom a little tighter and the perch start to out do the gills

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fish deeper and close to the bottom. Straight tailed plastics work well. If you keep your retrieve along the bottom (where perch prefer to position themselves) you will catch your share. And focus on depths around 10' this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When I target perch, it is usually from shore. What I like to do is pretty much drag the bottom or use suspending jerkbaits. I usually fish on the bottom with a 2"-3" Yamamoto grub on a 1/16oz jighead, a 2"-3" senko rigged wacky style, or a rooster tail reeled as slowly as possible to almost drag the bottom. On a boat I like to verticals jig with either a small Swedish Pimple or a very small blade bait. This works on both white and yellow perch.

·
Lousy Bass Angler
122 Posts
I never really target perch, but a word about the relationship between sunnies and perch.

I once kept a pumpkinseed and a yellow perch in a 90 gallon fishtank for a couple of years. I fed them a variety of things, including earthworms, minnows, and bloodworms. I found it interesting that even as the perch outgrew the pumpkinseed, it was always, and I mean always the pumpkinseed's tank. Food was first for him, and if given a limited amount of food, he easily would have out-competed him. He also regularly stared him down and went after him. I was quite surprised by the way that turned out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.