The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a head start for the coming season. I fish a lot on the Cross River reservoir and always have great catching success in Spring and then it slows down as the seasons change. As I prepare to put a boat on the Kensico I was hoping for some help on sizing up a reservoir and finding fish.

I have mike D's sonar dvd and a bottom line fishin' buddy which I will sell and get the fishmark 320 portable unit. I know to get a topo map of the water.

At what point in a location do I move on and say 'aint no fish here'? How many difft lures and presentations should I try before it IS time to move on?

I really hope these are not too basic questions. My usual approach is pretty random but I would like to learn a more planned way and I hope to tap into the expertise on the board. Thanks.

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Dave: this might open up a good dialogue on here....

I will tell you from personal experience, that Cross River has ALWAYS been a notoriously difficult summer lake.....
and that is with a map and the 320.......

however: you have many many starting points in that particular water:

the islands, and all the shoals are the most obvious.....working your say down in depth on ALL sides of these structures......

deep weedbeds and there are plenty of them also...by the way, where is your boat on CR?

the smallies on CR really tend to roam a lot chasing those alewife schools and that is what makes the summer fishing tough.....

from what I have read there is an explosion of crayfish movement at certain times of the season on there and that accounts for the terrific fishing not only prespawn but into the early summer......

you could fish a contour line there also, using blade baits in the summer, drift over, say 25 feet, then try a similar drift over 30 and so on....certain shorelines on there lend themselves very well to that tactic......

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cross River

This is my friends boat and I believe it is on the West side of the dam on the reservoir road side about a mile up after we hit dirt.

When my buddy got me back into fishing I just kind of did what he did and sometimes we caught and sometimes we didn't but looking back aver the years basically what we did was 'wing it'. We almost always fish shoreline mostly closer to the damn side but on the east and west sides and the big island in the middle. We NEVER fish deep or troll because I know I don't know what I am doing and I do not thing my friend knows or is interested in long line fishing.(he is mostly a fly fisherman so shallow water is what he keys in on)

My goal when I put my boat on new water such as the kensico is to approach it with a plan. i.e. This time of year we try this and this time of year we try that and hopefully with luck, planning and great suggestions here I will go out and have some confidence or sense that I know what I am doing rather than rowing around hoping to find some fish.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wandy, dont you worry about Cross River and Kensico, as the season gets closer i can steer you in the right direction...i fish Cross River and Kensico ALOT ! And you wont have many problems locating fish at Kensico with that sonar and a topo map. You are lucky....i had to spend countless days rowing around not knowing what i was looking for....and then i found this site, and the guys on this board have helped me more than i can ever thank them for. VIC.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vic

I know that with this resource here at NYBASS I should be able to fish just about any water around the tristate area and keep my training wells on. I guess I want to lose those training wheels and start to learn some of this.

When i'm on the cross river and the bite is not on how do I do know if the bite is not on or if I am just fishing an area where there aren't any fish. So I never know if I should stay in one area and work it hard move on and find somewhere else. Sonar will show me structure and if I am really lucky some fish but in the shallows it is really a challenge. I want to know how an experienced angler approaches a body of water and what they would throw to start and why?

·
8,124 Posts
Wandy,
I've been fishing the reservoirs for a very long time and I can tell you with certainty there is just no substitute for knowing a particular body of water.....but you already knew that. What works on one will not particularly work on the other so it's difficult to answer your question !

Cross River and Kensico are two very different bodies of water. These differences become more evident in post-spawn, summer and especially in the fall. As John G. stated earlier, Cross River is tough in the summer BUT Kensico is even tougher, especially the Rye Lake side !

You need to put your time on the water to truly understand what makes all these Reservoirs "tick". You have the advantage of experienced NY BASS members including myself that will guide you through it !

Ronnie

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
follow up

Ronnie,

Yeah, time on the water is always the best. I guess I never know how long to work an area before I move on. With sonar I can find structure and weed beds and the like but that does not guarantee fish. I was hoping there might be a method to the madness.

·
8,124 Posts
Wandy,
Agreed, finding structure and weeds does not guarantee you’ll catch fish but it’s a step in the right direction. However, knowing when to move on depends on YOUR ability to assess that location after utilizing various lures and presentations. Again, knowing a particular body of water is instrumental in making that determination !

Honestly, I believe your original question is too general. No one can come on here and give you a “ magic timeframe” you should spend in one area prior to moving….too many factors determine that answer ! Sorry but that’s how I see it.

Ronnie

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronnie

Since this subject is relatively new to me maybe you can help me out. What would be an appropriate question? I think you get the gist of what I am looking for. Should I be asking a location specific question or tactic specific question? Using a planned approach is a new thing. Anyone can go out, float along a shore, blast it with whatever they've got and say there are no fish here one day and then another day catch a boatload. I want to avoid the randomness that I have been fishing and be a little more 'tactical'.

Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wandy,

Just to get your feet wet, try fishing as early in the season as possible...A few 30+ fish days from a rowboat will really give you a baseline pulse for the lake and set the tone for the task at hand for the upcoming season...

I can tell you this, the spawn at Kensico occurs relatively later than CR, as it is a deeper pooling lake and water temps are much cooler for longer...So the fish are easier to find (near the shoreline) for a longer period of time...The excessive rain this spring only helped that this season for me...Another thing, if you are not sight fishing during the spring, you are not even in the game...You can double or triple your catch if you do it right on both K and CR ...

You should know going in, that Kensico is much clearer all year round than CR, as it has good drinking water displacement all year long...Out with the old and in with the new...The other reservoirs will vary, but K is considerably clearer than CR most of the year...To give you some perspective, I would rate the water clarity from clearest to most turbid for most times of the year in the waters you may encounter:

1. Gilead (ultra-gin-clear)
2. Kensico Rye Lake >>Kensico proper
3. Gleneida and Diverting
4. Cross River and Croton Falls
5. New Croton West Side
6. Titicus and New Croton East side
7. Muscoot

So use that with your basic fishing principles when deciding on changing colors or bait size between the two lakes...You may have located the fish already in the past at CR, but just dont know how to get them in the boat..."Wingin it" only works "half ass" in the springtime...Then you have to learn how to fish after that...The Fishmark 320 will become more important at that time...Find the first piece of structure deeper from the shallows where you found the fish in the springtime, and then just take it from there...

The smallies at K really roam in the post spawn and summertime just like their cousins elsewhere...Finding them can be an exercise in futility...Try to cover water and intercept those movers on the weededges and rock humps that you mark with your finder...There are several shallow underwater plateaus on both sides of the lake also that you will want to camp on sometimes...You will find them in due time...

All this 101 stuff sounds good in theory, but i can tell you that K can be very stingy in the summer no matter what your background with it is, especially on the Rye Lake side...

Oh, and on CR...Lots of guys are turned off by that place in the summer...I say, throw TW...You will be surprised...Its one of the better TW lakes in the summer, in my opinion...

Hope some of this helps...We'll get you out on both CR and K this season...

Mark D

·
8,124 Posts
Wandy,
Trust me, I know exactly what you are looking for and I understand your frustration associated with it. Blasting a shoreline is something everyone does but it will not make you a proficient angler. However, a "planned approach" as you stated is the key element in success.

A "location specific" question is a good way to start but you must also provide the Season, Weather, Water Temp., Clarity, Depth, Structure, etc., in order for your question to be answered correctly.

If you want to discuss this subject further or about the the Resevoirs in general....send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call.

Thanks,
Ronnie

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mark

So first thing i need to get is a topo map of the water I want to fish.

Throwing TW? "The Wandy"?

I find in springtime it is always much easier to catch fish and they will go after almost anything during or around the spawn.

I also know that as my knowledge of the water increases so too will my luck/skill. My experience with cross river is that after the spawn and the seasons change finding the fish is much harder to the point where my buddy would rather be watching baseball rather than tossing lures to 'nothing'. I know somewhere in my thick skull that it is possible to find fish after the spring assault.

I like the idea of sight fishing on the kensico and hopefully when I get a boat up there I will be able to choose my launch area.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry,

TW = Topwater

I type so slow that I use as many abbreviations as possible...

BTW, why is the word "abbreviation" so long ?

Fish hard...

Mark D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts