The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
catch & release
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone fish with hardbait jerkbaits for suspending lmb/smb in summer? I haven't really tried it in summer just curious. Any info would help. Brands, sinking, depths?

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
tried it the other evening on kensico.not even a sniff.i will start again in the fall.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I use a Megabass Trick Darter jerkbait all year long.....problem in the summer is the pickerel love it way too much and get in the way of the bass....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't be afraid to try a Lucky Craft Pointer 128 or similar size jerkbait (3 hook model) from another maker

Often times in warmer summertime temps when the fish's metabolism is really jacked up and they suspend they'll slam larger jerkbaits when they routinely ignore the smaller 2-hook models

Suspending jerk baits do work... but you have to work them

Also a good quality MH action rod (like a TFO GTS 735-1) is best for setting the hooks on long distance strikes

Hope that helps some... I know it works for me

Attachments

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
While it may not be my first choice, I will still throw a jerkbait at least part of the time whenever I see suspending fish (especially if I think they are smallmouth). Clear water, those fish can see the bait from a long ways away. This time of year though I fish it a lot differently than early and late season. I'm using nothing less than 10# more like 12# line, fishing it on a 6'8" Rapsody Hot Rod - Grim Ripper baitcast rod with very aggressive jerks and shorter pauses.

Trying to get a reaction bite, or to at least get some fish following (great search bait).

Tip - 12# mono versus 12# fluoro... the mono gives you more bounce and action, but it will keep the bait a foot or so higher in the water column than fluoro. So if you want the bait to run deeper, use fluoro or add some weight to the bait.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
They work fine. It you are in a boat stick your rod in the water to get a few more feet. You can also just swim the LCs and they will slam them

·
Registered
480 Posts
Work them with almost no pauses. Keep the bait moving erratically. I might suggest trying soft jerkbaits too. Like the Sluggo. Works even in summer, without the arm bruising action required by a hard jerk.

·
catch & release
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info! I was thinking I would try it on smallmouths when there chasing bait. Looks like some jerk baits will run deeper. Megabass makes a bait that has a slow fall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts