The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be vacationing in Vermont in the next few weeks and wanted to do some pike fishing. I will have access to a rowboat and a fish finder. The lake I will be fishing is about 220 acres and has a max depth of 17ft. It has heavy milfoil growth along most of the bottom and has 6-8ft of visibility. It also has a healthy panfish population. I was wondering what techniques and what areas of the lake I should focus my time on.
Thanks,
Mike

Map Font Parallel Drawing Paper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try trolling the outside weedege with deep diving plugs. I'm not sure of regulations in Vermont, but troll 2 lures if it's legal. Also, if the wind is steady, go fish the outside weed egde that the wind has been blowing towards. Try 1/2 to 3/4 ounce jigs with Swimfish or similar paddle tail bodies. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
220 acres is pretty small and you can pretty much cover the full lake in a few hours. Every way to catch them has been mentioned, however every northern I have caught this year has been in the wide open on depth changes. Sand bars, ledges etc. They do not seem to be relating to the weeds this year like they have in the past (in my area anyways)

start with deep outside weed edges....7 to 12ft, Cranks, jigs, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits will all get them

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
cart and white spinnerbaits - from around 9 til before sunset - pike pretty much stop once the sun goes down! - another good bait is a big TUBE! the pike love them! - and live bait is good this time of year! - and WOUNDED SPOOKS for the top water bite -- work outside edges! -- rocks with grass -- and shady wood!

to tell you the truth there is no madjic -- everyday is different with them -- if it looks good give it a try!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
cart and white spinnerbaits - from around 9 til before sunset - pike pretty much stop once the sun goes down! - another good bait is a big TUBE! the pike love them! - and live bait is good this time of year! - and WOUNDED SPOOKS for the top water bite -- work outside edges! -- rocks with grass -- and shady wood!

to tell you the truth there is no madjic -- everyday is different with them -- if it looks good give it a try!
actually some of the biggest pike in the waters will still aggressively feed at night.

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
actually some of the biggest pike in the waters will still aggressively feed at night.
i been fishing for pike for many years and speaking from my experience i have caught many more large pike during the day! perhaps its where we fish them - in Maine the bite pretty much stops at sunset! we usually fish the bass bite at night from sunset to early morning and in all that time i have only caught 2 pike in the lake that we catch them during the day in - if YOU can get them at night that's a good thing as I WROTE everyday is different and i am guessing so is the location!?

NOW BEFORE you get your feathers ruffled I AM not implying your statement is incorrect all i am saying is when i fish for pike i use the "dusk to dawn" hours i can truthfully say that i have never targeted pike at night ! but have put in MANY - MANY hours during the day in all 4 seasons and that is when i have caught my pike lot's of them and in all different sizes - i mostly fish them in Maine and in the North Country of NY.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
It really depends on the body of water. In clear water like the St Lawrence, they will just kill jitterbugs at night. Be prepared for a heart attack when they strike. It`s usually a BIG BLOW-UP. More doingy water I like colorfull crankbaits like Chartruese & Orange. Deep weed edge is a good place to try.Also try colorful Jigs with a Chartruese curlytail worm trailer on whatever deeper drops you might have. 6-8 ft visibility is fine. If nothing else works try flipping the heaviest weed patches. Have a stout rod with a reel loaded with 50+ lb. Test. Good Luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Swim baits have worked well for me over the years for large northern pike, long casts to shallow water and bringing back with a stop and go action to the weed edge can be deadly..good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well unfortuantly the trip went horrible. First of all my fishfinder crapped out before we got on the water. Second the forecast was for calm SW winds, instead we had a 15-20mph north wind. Anyway we fished the weedline in about 8-10ft of water with spinnerbaits and inline spinners only to catch some huge perch. Finally after about 3 hrs i hook up with a 30in northern. I get him right to the boat and we see him shake the mepps spinner right out of his mouth. Not a touch after that. Anyway thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well unfortuantly the trip went horrible. First of all my fishfinder crapped out before we got on the water. Second the forecast was for calm SW winds, instead we had a 15-20mph north wind. Anyway we fished the weedline in about 8-10ft of water with spinnerbaits and inline spinners only to catch some huge perch. Finally after about 3 hrs i hook up with a 30in northern. I get him right to the boat and we see him shake the mepps spinner right out of his mouth. Not a touch after that. Anyway thanks for the help guys.
WOW That sucks big time ... i can fish in snow, sleet, rain just about any weather.... but wind ...I hate it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.