The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I went out for the first time this year I noticed the boat (14 Al Alumicraft) taking on water in the bow ....with nothing in the boat yet. I realize I have a leak somewhere on the bow and sure enough when I turn it over I spot a 2 inch crack on the bow spine. Has anyone ever welded or used an aluminum patch kit to fix a crack and if so what was your experience. Thanks in advance. Technyc-bass

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
You really have two options. The best option is to bring to a shop that can weld aluminum. That patch would probably cost you under $100 total and would be the "right" way to fix it. Your second option is to prep the bottom of the boat and apply Steel Flex. This will seal up all your rivets and make the whole bottom look really good, but you will still have a structural issue underneath that can surface someday. Steel Flex is a royal PITA to work with but if you do it right it will look good when it's done.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Welding it would be best. And marine tex is a great product and I would normally recommend it. But since its on the spine of the hull it probably get a decent amount of "flex" in that area. I'd give it a quick scuff with some sandpaper and coat it with 3M 5200 urethane. Or even the adhesive/sealant in the walmart boating section. It takes quite a while for either to set up but it is permanent and remains flexible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can your buddy spare a short 6 inch piece of the HTS-2000 or Dura-fix brazing rods. Given this is a 3 inch hairline crack it doesn't appear that it will take very much of the material to fill in and close the gap. From the video it appears to take less than a minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.