The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know last saturdy night we had a major cold front blow in it was a grind catching buck bass after buck bass and culling by mere ounces but not for 2 guys Andrew and Dave who buried the competition by 5 plus pounds it started off warm at 5 oclock and then the temps crashed by 1 am it was in the 50,s 1st Dave and Andrew 15.5 2nd Frank and Kevin 8-11 3rd Kurt and Bill 8-6 congrats to Dave and Andrew way to catchem guys :fishing:

·
Registered
111 Posts
SCB Night TX at E Twin on 8/10

Right Billy the Temperature had dropped from 81 at 4pm to 51 by 12 am. Brr. We had lots of those Buck Bass that Billy was talking about. We had at least 10 with our biggest about 2 lbs. Almost all of the fish that we caught were daylight fish and that was a grind!

At night the Bass had completely shut down. Kevin was throwing our Big Fish bait which was a top water bait 5 inches long. In the past we caught a lot of 5, 6 and 6+ bass on this lure at E Twin. This night e caught 6 Large Rock Bass on this lure.

We threw everything else at them but NADA except for one small Bass on a night spinner bait. But we all know what they say Somebody will find the Bass.

Andrew and Dave two of our younger members found out the secret and Smoked them. They schooled us Big Time. They made all of our fish look like minnows. Dave also caught the Lunker which was 4 1/2 lbs.

Their limit 15 lbs 5 oz is a good limit in any tournament but due to the "Cold Front" conditions - This was a great limit,

Speaking as one of the Senior members of the club, and I'm sure that I also speak for the club, we are very proud to see our younger members winning Tournaments. Congratulations Andrew and Dave keep up the good work!

Frank K

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks guys it was a little short notice that i would make this tournament needless to say i left my tackle bag in my truck and had to use some of andrews plastics.

The pattern of the day was fishing shallow 2-10 feet. Hitting areas with steep shorelines and deep water near by.

We started off fishing just left of the launch and second cast using a green pumpkin crawtube andrew sets the hook on a nice 2.5 lber.

About 20-30 casts later he gets another good fish. We were on them not sure if we caught anymore down that stretch but we made a move to the point and picked up a keeper on the drop shot.

Heading up the shore on the north side of the island we catch our 4th keeper in about an hour on a craw tube flipping the shallows. So we head back down and around the point and fish the south side of the island near the castle and picked up a small perch on a crankbait. We continue fishing that shore with no luck so we figure we would go real shallow and head to the corner to try and flip some docks no luck there.

We move out a little bit throwing a topwater over the shallow grass and get a blow up and missed em. Finally get another one to commit on the topwater and catch our limit in just an hr and a half into the tournament and we had close to 10 lbs but with kevin and billy you never know what they were going to bring to the scales so we kept fishing.

Got another couple of fish to blow up on the topwater but didnt get stuck so we kept fishing and it slowed up wo we ate some well prepared subway heros.

Our next move was one of two we could go back and fish the previous shorelines and see if any other fish moved up or try and fit the 18ft skeeter with a 150 under the bridges to get into the southern lake, needless to say we fit a 21 ft triton with a 225 and twin powerpoles threw there the previous year (dont ask me how but we did it)

So we make our way into the south lake and i know there is good fishing by the small island back there so we fish our way there nothing get near the island and andrew gets slammed on the swimbait nice 2 lber so we cull our smaller fish we caught on the point. Continue fishing as the sun sets the bite slows down we fish along the southern shore and get a blow up but another missed hookup.

we move back to the island and andrew sets the hook on another decent fish which culls out one of the previous.

now that its been dark we continue fishing around the island with little to no action for quite a while its nearly 10:30 and we decide its best to try and head back to make sure we get threw the bridges and fish the main lake some more comfortably in doing so we start fishing our way out i cast up to the shelf that comes off the island and pulling it out of the weeds i get smacked and set the hook and its a solid fish get it in the boat and its our biggest fish of the night a 4lb 5oz largemouth once again we cull.

Fish around the island a few more passes nothing so we fish our way out navigate threw the bridges hit the main lake to fish the remaining 2 hrs so we first our first shoreline and pull a few short fish cross over to the point a few more short fish its time to head back to the launch to fish the remaining mins.

During this time andrew had a keen feeling that we caught them up pretty good and our competitors might have had a tough time and he was right

All in all we had a great time there was a meteor shower going on with crystal clear skys the temp dropped close to 30 degrees and we pulled out the double U for a win with 15lbs 5 ozs almost twice the weight of our second place competitor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great story and interesting how you caught your fish. It wasn't a secret spot. It was one fish here and one fish there - a typical Grind! I only saw one Meteor - I guess I was looking down trying to figure out how to catch the next Bass. As it turned out we could have looked up all night because we did not catch any Night Bass.

Great Job on a really tough night!

Frank K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts