The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was hot at Mahopac - not only the sun but also the fishing. The tournament day started early 5:30 am. Just in time to watch the sun rise over the houses in the East. Beautiful red sky and not that hot yet. Fortunately it was partly cloudy with some fog for the first couple of hours.
If you were in the right place you started battling the jumping , hard pulling smallmouth right away. I had a smallie on my second cast and within 15 minutes we had 4 SM on Spinner baits in the box. My partner and I had our limits by about 8:30am.
These Mahopac Bass both LM & SM seem to be the fightingest fish of all the lakes that we fish. as a result there were many stories of big fish lost at the boat or just pulled off.
I lost two big Smallies at he boat because my drag was set too tight - Bad Frank!
The real Star of the Tournament was one of our newer members Dave who schooled us all!! Dave had his limit by 7am and just kept catching them all day long and Dave was in the Back seat of the boat.
The top three anglers are as follows:
1st Kevin K 5 13lbs 6oz
2nd Dave L 5 12lbs 8oz
3rd Frank K 5 11lbs 14oz

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's nice that you could limit out early in the morning before having to pound the lake while the sun puts a pounding on you doing so .. It seemed to be the winning strategy was to do just that and spoils go to the angler with the greater endurance . thanks for sharing the report .

·
Registered
373 Posts
always end up finding a way to catch them from the back of the boat and we were on them first thing.Tend to do well but havent been able to pull off a win but then again i dont have the time to fish all the tournaments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.