The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this bait at the end of the season and was very pleased.
I had originally purchased the baits and in the spring and they sat in my bag unused till the fall. I don’t know if internally weighted swim bait are new but they’re new to me. Would say the internal head look more realistic then a sassy shad with some big ball head jig sticking out the front of it. If you like natural realistic looking bait these have a terrific finish with holographic eyes a very real look to them. They come in about 4 different sizes and 8 different colors. I did 90% of my fishing with the 3” in Bunker, Baby Bass, and Bluegill. When I first picked them up I felt the 3” was over weighted, in the end that was one of it best features.

In late fall when this bait finally got tied on a line we were in cold water deep mode. Tubes fished painfully slow on known deep structure, blade baits when you could find something on the sonar to blade at and crankbaits. Wanted to cover more ground then the tube and lose the frantic action of the crank (frankly less work then the crank). Most of the time I’d throw them out and let them sink to the bottom before I would start the retrieve then keeping a stead cadence, slowing that cadence as the bait got closer in hopes of keeping it at a steady depth also wanting it to move just fast enough to get some action out of the tail. Other times when I would see fish suspending on the sonar would try to guess the depth to start the retrieve. That first trip this bait took 3 nice bass and put bass in the boat 4 out of the last 5 trips.

I liked this bait and will keep using it and try to find out if it’s more then a cold water deep bait. Don’t know if going through the trouble of making it look so real helps but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt. One drawback I can think of is they don’t tell you the weight of the jig and of cause the internal head means you’re going with their hook. Package says it’s a Rapala VMC hook that seem pretty sharp to me. Again internal head really limits your rigging option you’re not using this on a dropshot it’s a swimbait and it’s staying a swimbait!

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Greg,

They have grown tremendously in popularity...This years BPS catalogue has much more space dedicated to them...Mostly varieties of the Optimum swim bait...I bought those Storms also but in the suspending version with a belly treble...Very nice shad tail action...Like a great big Slider or Sassy Shad...I didn't catch anything on it but threw it a little to check out the action the last day i fished in Nov...

Good to hear that they worked for you...I think they would be excellent for suspended fish, especially run at a precise depth with a linecounter reel...I bought them for that exact reason...The tail...Its all in the tail...

Check out Osprey, Castaic and Optimum if you like the concept of swim baits...Also, check out the video in the Western Video Series titled SWIMBAITS and sold by Lobina Lures...It shows them reeling in 9" swimbaits in RT patterns and catching some nice Florida strain LMB...

Mark D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Bink,

Gregg and John G love to target them Picks !!!

They are feared by the Wampus picks year in and year out... lol

Good point

mark d

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark very much a slider type presentation and retrieval.

That first day pickerels bite off 3 of them :D

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
I will attest to what that lure did this year for Gregg....he finally had me throwing it! LOL...bought a bunch of them late in the season!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Vivif was the original in 1958

A useless fact a-la "Cliff" from Cheers. :beerchug:

This type of internally weighted swim bait introduced in 1958 for salt water called the Vivif. 20 million have been sold. A retired friend of mine told me he fished the Vivif for LM Bass 30 yrs ago and I should look for the lure.

Panther Martin markets the Vivif these days. I have yet to try it. I ordered some from BPS in hopes of persuading my buddy to pick up a rod once again. When I handed him the Vivif print out his eyes went wide. I know when I hand him a "Vivif" lure that he will wet a line once again.

http://panthermartin.com/lures/vivif.asp

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
FYI Storm will be coming out with a bunch of new crankbaits for 2004. These were adn wil continue to be manufactured in Yugoslavia by......................................................................................................

Yes you guessed it, Ugly Duckling.

The swim bait industry did not go by un-noticed by UD either. I have been working with them on a specific swimbait for the great lakes and it will certainly knock the spots (pun intended) off the competition.

Stay tuned!

Charlie:cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: Storm swim baits

I saw these baits in The Sports Authority earlier in the year and they just looked like they would work. I purchased the ones Mark (bassarachi) has, the ones with the belly treble in the baby bass color. I think I used them only once. It was a little heavy for me as far as a swimbait is concerned and it seemed to sink faster than I would have cared when i retrieved it.
I agree with Gregg, it seems it would be a good deep water fall bait, however, now that some guys have been catching bass with them I will give them another try in the spring.
If not they sure LOOK great in the tackle box! LOL

MikeYac

·
Registered
90 Posts
swimbait weight

When I fished swallow water, or needed a slow, subtle fall, I modified the weight. Just use a razor blad to cut open the belly, then I cut some of the lead out with a nail cutter. Super glue closed it up again. In spring when shallow bass need a slow-fallling lure, it is great. The first cast with the modification, I caught a 22in prespawn female (sight-fishing). You can also leave the belly cut open and fill it with scent.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Here at the AC BOAT Show, one of the retailers has a similar bait by Tsunami that BLOWS AWAY the Storm brand. (Both types are here at the show) I compared the two for a period of about two days before I decided that the Tsunami's are a lot more realistic looking with better colors and more realistic looking eyes.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
I now wish to recant the statement I made above. The STORM SWIM SHAD is a remarkable bait and second to none. It has great colors better hooks and is much less expensive than all of its competitors presently on the market and also those that have not been introduced as of yet.:D

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
I'm going to have a few bags of the Tsunami's to give away as door prizes at NYBASS seminar.

I am not associated in any way or sponsored by Tsunami. I just managed to coax them out of a few bags in Atlantic City to give away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They did it again !

Every time a tackle company has a winner on its hands they have to 'improve'
it. Storm 'improved' their wild eye by adding red eyes and a transparent
body as opposed to the original that has holographic black eyes and an opaque body. The original outfishes the new improved model 5 to 1.Has anybody else made this observation or am i just to nit-picky.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts