The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Downstate, we are going to have 3 consecutive days of 60 ish temps......will start getting the ice moving off in no time....Hopefully, many of us will be getting on fresh water in about 2 weeks.....

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Gotta have this water warm up. I've been fishing sporadically from shore the past couple of months with no results. I caught a few small bass the first few days of January. Since then, I have not even had a bite. Over 2 months with no bites. Longest dry spell I think I've ever had. Can't even get the panfish to hit. Been trying all different things: fast, slow, nothing working. In-line spinners, jerk baits, ned rigs, tubes. Nothing. I am getting in a lot of casting practice and I'm doing very well with my casting, LOL. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll start taking out the kayak. I do know people who have been catching some good fish, mainly out in their kayaks. I'm not seeing reports of big numbers of fish, but people are catching bass (some pretty big, up to 5), pickerel, and yellow perch.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Still ice out there on Kensico as of 2pm today.... looked pretty free SOUTH from the Island across from the inlet on NW side... but north side of that island heading back into area 2 looked pretty iced up.

J.

·
Administrator
11,521 Posts
Three solid days in the 60's Any Ice reports for any of the reservoirs?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Just for you Gregg.... drove around Kensico at 2:30 today.... upper arms still icy.... I’d say 70-80 percent ice with a lot of breaks and patches that are open.... it’s like that from area 2 down to first island leaving that boat area.... then looks more open south of that. Other arm same deal.... still icy from top down till about 50 yards south of areas 5/6... can’t leave from either of those right now.... but I could see those areas open if we get some sunny days the next 2-3 even if it drops down to 40s as it’s thin/clear ice in some areas so it’s melting.

Everything south of Rt22 bridge and first two islands is open.... just need some more sun to get those upper arms freed up.

J.

·
catch & release
214 Posts
Im heading up towards Putnam possibly tomorrow . Ill take a look at east Branch / Bog Brook

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
west Croton, open, East and Mid Croton, almost completely open...Muscoot, almost completely open....

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
west Croton, open, East and Mid Croton, almost completely open...Muscoot, almost completely open....
LOL - just got back from taking the kids and dog for a walk in FDR park and was going to report that West Croton looked wide open... it also looked like an ocean with the waves - but if you were really looking to get out there and had the guts - you could!!! LOL!!!

Also - for anyone that fishes FDR - that's pretty much wide open with exception of 1 section of ice on the northwest shoreline (near deepest part of lake)... that area had about 200 yards of ice along the shoreline that seemed to go out about 75 feet from shore.... I'd think that would be gone in next few days with a little more sun provided we stay above freezing.

J.

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's a nice little park, FDR...often wondered how that lake would fish...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
that's a nice little park, FDR...often wondered how that lake would fish...
I have to admit I haven't given it a fair shake.... kayak fished it 3-4 times. It has some nice weeds running the perimeter and in the shallow south end and gets 25-30 feet deep in some parts. There is a back lake/pond (Crum) which seems to be same deal - basically a bowl with a perimeter of weeds beds - little tough to get back into that area - but doable. It's super convenient if you're bringing a kayak/boat as there is a decent launch (is a little steep though) and I've never seen it super busy (even when just walking the park).

The only issue is the $35 for the pass.... you can use it in a few other lakes but I didn't bother with it last year and just fished places I could drop in for free. If you plan to fish it a bunch - its not expensive - but for 1-2 trips a year not sure it's worth it if you have other places to go.

J.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts