The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sportfishing & Outdoor Expo at the Nassau Coliseum for the end of January has been CANCELLED.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Yup,
Vinnie M told us that at the NY Boat show/??????????

G

·
No Offense Rich

But that was by far the lamest show I ever had the pleasure of attending.
Highlights....Meeting Earthy and Theole and Pat's presentation a few years back.
No loss IMHO
Bring on Rockland
Woody

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
6,547 Posts
why was it cancelled.i heard it sucked thats y i never went

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The show was geared more to saltwater...since it IS on an island and the Rockland show IS geared hard core freshwater because of its location.

People seem to blame promoters OF ANY SHOW for things they cannot control...PARKING!!!! You pay $7 to park and $12 to walk in the door...you're already in a bad mood...again not any promoter's fault...you can’t expect free admission to anything anymore...can you?

It was a show we enjoyed on the Island and wouldn't expect many sweetwater guys or gals to make the trip down Island for it.

We live with the cards we are dealt and living in Nassau County...one of the most corrupt in the world...the parking fees are insane...the union dealings to move in and out are ridiculous and the dungeon itself is depressing.

Just ask Leigh about unions...the parking in NYC near Javitts...regular day $25...Javitts event $60!!

We do not have many forums to use on Long Island, the college field houses are not large enough and there is no where else to hold a show of this size with large campers and boats...that is central to parkways and highways.

It is what it is and it is something to do in January!

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
The one at SCC last year was just as good as the collosium show. The Nassau show seemed to be cluttered with charter trips and Hunting guides.

Rich, Are you saying this show got canned because of parking fees?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bass Rat said:
The one at SCC last year was just as good as the collosium show. The Nassau show seemed to be cluttered with charter trips and Hunting guides.

Rich, Are you saying this show got canned because of parking fees?
The SCC show was overloaded with boats and RV's and even less tackle shops etc than the Coliseum Show. The shows on Long Island are loaded with charter captains for saltwater because it has always had a saltwater/hunting slant to it...just as Rockland has a freshwater/hunting slant to it and they all have their share of slice and dice booths as well.

There is a very long story as to why the coliseum show was cancelled, it had nothing to do with parking or the original promoter.

A very long and seedy story of which I cannot go into at this particular time. I was only saying that many who attended the Coliseum Show did not like it because of the parking and admission fees, which when combined is nearly $20 and you haven't even bought anything yet.

When the time is right, I may be able to get into the details of what happened, but not at this time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
thefishingline said:
you can’t expect free admission to anything anymore...can you?
YOU CAN IF YOU KNOW LEIGH!! WOO HOOO!! :p

The problem I had with the Nassau show was there were no exhibitors there. No boats, no electronics, no nothing!:mad:

I wouldn't mind spending 20 bucks to have all the top manufacturers of the boating industry's products in the same room at the same time to compare their goods. As a matter of fact I'd consider it a bargain. That just wasn't the case at the last Nassau show.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You are missing the point.... what I am saying is...folks say a show is no good because of parking and the entrance fee and then walk in...in a bad mood. The unions have nothing to do with prices or anything other than mandating to promoters how much manpower will be needed for move in and move out…then slowing down the move in and move out process if they are not happy.

Let’s say for example…the union did a great job with the move in and out one year with 22 workers. Well the following year they tell a promoter they need 29 men to do the same job 22 men did the year before. If the promoter doesn’t cave…the Union is not happy and people move slower…things take longer to get done etc., etc., etc.. It takes a lot of negotiatiing to get this done

I’m not saying this happens every year in every building….anywhere….but this is an example of horror stories promoters of many shows have explained to me.

PLEASE DO NOT turn this into a RJ hates union thread…it is not…some of my best friends are in and run unions (LOL):D :beerchug:

Face it…the coliseum is archaic, POLITICAL…republican (Nassau County), a dinosaur and needs to be torn down. It is politically corrupt...but is the only building large enough to really hold a show other than the Brentwood college and numbers have shown the college is too far east for most to want to travel to.

Manufacturers have cut way, way back on the number of shows they attend over the last decade...and want to attend….and only do the ones in rural areas now with the exception of NY and Atlantic City.

Even the Nassau Coliseum Boat show is not on the par of the NY show and the number of electronic exhibitors is not what it could be at the Coliseum boat show as companies slice and dices their pocketbooks. They just did NYC…why pack everything up and do Long Island?

With the dates of the NY Boat show…and then Atlantic City and then Suffern...these are the shows they choose to do because they only want to do a few in each area of the country and not do too many in any geographic location…so they don’t do too much overlapping of areas…which they consider a waste of money and resources.

While the Coliseum could have been better…it has had very good years in the past as far as manufactures, exhibitors and charter and tackle shops are concerned…some years are better than others…again depending on what companies and manufactures feel like doing and more importantly…spending in the northeast.

If any of you were in this business on a daily basis as I am or know the workings like Leigh or myself do on a daily basis…you would know manufacturers have ALWAYS sold the northeastern region of the US short…by a wide margin…in advertising dollars spent…support of tournaments…and all around mostly ignore this market share at their disposal here.

Most manufactures are located in rural areas, mostly in the Bible and sunbelts…below the Mason Dixon line…and focus large, large portions of their budgets for ads and shows everywhere but in the northeast!

I could go on forever…but:D

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
You are missing the point.... what I am saying is...folks say a show is no good because of parking and the entrance fee and then walk in...in a bad mood.
Rich, I think your missing the point (respectively). I don't think guys give 2 S$&TS about the 20 or 30 bucks. Bottom line the show sucked. Your talking about people who would drop 2-3 hundred on a rod in a heartbeat. If the show was good the $ would not be an issue. If the show is FREE and still sucked I still wouldn't go. ahhhhhh, I probably would go even if it was 20 bucks and sucked. But I'm like that. LOL

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
Nick's right

I'd pay $20 if the show was good! Rockland isn't much cheaper. Just payed $25 just to park in the city to see the boat show. People will pay if it's a good show.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So????? What makes a show good? Manufacturers? Tackle shops??? Boats??? Electronics?? I just explained the cards we are dealt and why things are the way they are...we can't change them unless....we stop using the products of the companies that do not support the northeast...and I doubt that is ever going to happen.

Untill it does we'll continues to see boat manufacturers and electronics at the NYC...freshwater stuff and hunting at Suffern...saltwater stuff and charters with hunting on Long Island etc, etc, etc.

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
Most manufactures are located in rural areas, mostly in the Bible and sunbelts…below the Mason Dixon line…and focus large, large portions of their budgets for ads and shows everywhere but in the northeast!
They seem to find Rocklans, suffrin & Raritan

People seem to blame promoters OF ANY SHOW for things they cannot control...PARKING!!!! You pay $7 to park and $12 to walk in the door...you're already in a bad mood...again not any promoter's fault...you can’t expect free admission to anything anymore...can you?
I don't blame promotors for the fees. I blame them cause the show sucked

So????? What makes a show good? Manufacturers? Tackle shops??? Boats??? Electronics??
Yes. Yes. And yes. And yes, that's the promotors job to get them here.

Let’s say for example…the union did a great job with the move in and out one year with 22 workers. Well the following year they tell a promoter they need 29 men to do the same job 22 men did the year before. If the promoter doesn’t cave…the Union is not happy and people move slower…things take longer to get done etc., etc., etc.. It takes a lot of negotiatiing to get this done
What does that mean in terms of the show sucking?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts