The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I started night fishing a few days ago with some decent success. Last night, while in the process of getting skunked I remembered to check out the solunar fishing tables that I have never used before because I rarely night fish. I was wondering if any of you guys use the solunar fishing tables and if you can give me some insight on them. Some people say 45 minutes before and after the moon rise/set is the best time, while others say its high moon/ underfoot. After checking out numerous tables from different sites last night, it seems like there is little consistency between them. If any of you respond to this post and believe in the tables, I would love if you could send a link to the site you use. Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
No idea about specific times during the day or night, but the only correlation between the charts and the fishing I've ever noticed was this summer in Canada. Fished the whole week and at the start of the week, in a poor moon period the fish we caught were a small average size. As the week went on and the charts said the conditions were improving, the fish average size definitely improved. I really don't think it was that we were dialling in to a big fish bite as we were generally fishing the same areas with the same methods on the whole.

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
all waters have their own "personality" , so to speak, with feeding times, and they can be consistent in certain periods of the year...these, however , will vary from water to water, and so, you really have to learn the rhythms of each body of water over time....

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Without a doubt solar and lunar activity affects wildlife more than we will ever understand. I have been following charts fairly closely for the last few years and I believe for the most part they are 80% accurate, or maybe a little more. The chart I have found to be the most accurate has the past, present and predicted barometric pressure also mixed into the equation. Obviously, pressure will be the next biggest influence (or even THE biggest) in activity levels. There are those days when the chart does not line up with the bite at all. I guess one could label that "just because" but there is a reason there somewhere, even if we don't fully understand it...............yet.

There have been days I decided not to go fishing because of them, and there have been days I could not get there fast enough because a mammoth peak was coming up. And for the most part it holds true. Obviously during tournament you cannot pick and choose your days, but I do usually try to plan on being in better spots during the predicted better times.

I also find them more accurate during the spring and fall when the water is cooler and the windows of opportunity are smaller.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
When a period of extended low, or dropping pressure collides with a full or new moon, preferably a few days before or after, I've noticed fih are generally more aggressively feeding. Though, this observation is an after thought, not something that determines when I go. I also believe that bad fishing on the backside of a cold front has more to with the fish having fed heavily on the frontside, than simply being turned off by the cold front. What I mean is that they simply aren't as hungry because they fed up so well just prior, not that the cold front itself was the cause. More like the events leading up to it. The Bill Murphy book goes into it, and explains it pretty well. It could also be my own mind forcing the situation to fit, but it doesn't seem like that, looking back. If anyone could predict this accurately, they'd only be fishing the best times. I just don't think it can be done, nad by letting things like moon phase and barometer dictate your fishing, you are limiting yourself.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I definitely don't let it predict when I fish, but if the day I 'm going fishing says good times are 5:30am to 7:55am I will be on the water at 5am vs. 8am

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.