The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading for Sodus Point on Sept 7. I was hoping someone would know how the smallmouth population is in the lake close to Sodus.
Is it worth going out? I have heard that there have been several fish kills in the past years. Thanks for any info.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - Thanks. I fished Fairhaven about 10 years ago and caught smallmouth out by the bluffs in less than 20' water. Then the last time 8 years ago I couldn't buy a bite in the same location. That is a good thread above but I can't see myself fishing in deep water. I know that I will just have to do my homework. Pretty tough for a rookie lake fisherman. Hopefully, I can give a good report when I return home.

·
Tinman
552 Posts
I intend to be out fishing in front of Webster, Ontario and Sodus during the 3 day labor day weekend and probably again the following weekend. I'd be happy to share any info with you to help you narrow down your search and what depths to concentrate on.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Fred

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup, what he said! Spend a little time looking at the fine detail on the Navionics wbb app, and look for some spots you'd like to try. Then it's a matter of finding the spot on the spot. The good news, if you crash and burn in the lake, the green fish will be chewing in the bay. Some VERY good fishing in that bay.
Been popping in and checking this thread and any others in the Sodus / Port bay area. Love the area ....... A question I have to ask is how are the water levels ? Last October Sodus Bay was way down with docks out of water etc; Actually had some great fishing with vegetation out in deeper water and one of the best "Frog bites" I have ever experienced. Still pulling water ?
Russ

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now back from Sodus Point after 5 days of fishing. Did not fish out in the lake as planned as my brother-in-law cold not take the waves. With the meds he is on he doesn't dare get sick. Did not hear of any local good reports for the Smallmouth, anyway. But like John stated, the bay holds alot of green fish that even us rookies can catch. It was somewhat tougher with so many weeds cut by the 3 weed cutters in the bay so there were no real defined weedlines like I have seen in the past. We found the best depth to be around 10 feet. Weightless Senkos rigged wacky worked for us. Nothing huge caught, but good fat LM bass from 13 to 18 inches. I noticed that the winner of the Bay Bridge Sport Shop for LM bass (1st day of bass to Sept. 7) caught a 5.02 lb fish. The SM bass weight winner had a larger fish weighing 6. something. Plenty of wind to go around for the time we fished. Had lots of good food at Nick's restaurant!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.