The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody

I recently fished on a 14ft semi v and was impressed with the ease of rowing it around. I'm thinking about getting a semi v for reservoir fishing on windy days . I'm looking at the Somkercraft Canadian 14 or the Starcraft SL 14 . Are these two boats the same boat with different names? Or is one a better quality boat? From getting price quotes it seems that boat dealers want more for Starcraft, is that higher price for quality or name recognition? I know Smokercraft manufacturers Starcraft and Sylvan. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This question sure sounds familiar... Where have I seen it?

Anyway, I have a Sylvan in 12', as it looks nothing like a StarCraft 12'. Are you sure they are sisters?

As of recently Smokercraft,Starcraft and Sylvan are the same company, I think in the 1990s they were under different owners.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I know build quality is important, but I'd take into account weight. I have a BIG wide Starcraft 14 foot V on CR. While it's a pleasure to fish from - it's nearly impossible to move by myself.

I have a narrower Alumicraft 14 V on Kensico.... it's lighter and not as well made... but much easier in and out of the water by myself... and it's not like I'm putting an outboard on it and hitting waves.... for what we do with it - I like lighter provided it's a decent boat.

J

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a starcraft SF14 that I did a conversion on. I regularly used the boat on Great Lake Sacandaga and Black Lake when I lived in NY. I've got no complaints with the boat. I retired and moved to TN. last year with the intensions of buying a bassboat when I got down hear. Long story short I still have the starcraft and intend on keeping it for a while longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.