lurecrafter
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 lb. white sucker (someone must have released it from their aquarium):

One of many catfish ranging in size from 1-7 lbs:

3.5 lb bass:

crappie up to 14":

Decent perch:

If I want to target bass and pickerel, I use larger lures, but the challenge of catching large fish on small jigheads and plastics and a light action rod is never ending.

·
Crass Angler
9,937 Posts
I've never found there was any correlation between lure size and size of the catch. My biggest NYS largemouth (7-2) came on a 10" PowerWorm. My second biggest (7-1 shown below) bit a 4" finesse worm on a flick shake jig. Steelhead and browns will hit tiny flies on up to big spoons. My biggest smallie came on a drop shot rigged 3" plastic. One of my biggest northern pike bit a peanut sized crankbait.

·
lurecrafter
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Exceptions to the rule?
Big big baits = big fish of the larger species that usually ignore the small stuff you mentioned.
I wouldn't use a small 2" Mr Twister for smallmouth in a local smallmouth river - 4" for sure in bright yellow. I want a big visual effect and vibration combined that provoke even 11" smallies. Same for LM: big willow leaf spinnerbaits (thanks Roland M), 4" Zara Spooks, 3/8 oz skirted jigs with chunky trailers and longer skirts and 2 3/4" crankbaits that have a wide wobble as they crash through vegetation or off logs or rock. The more sense-related provocation the better in water 60 degress or higher and in water this color:

A large 15" crappie and a few others in the school hit this large Risto Rap as well as a 12" perch::

Large crappie in another lake hit this 4" swimbait:

I was targeting larger bass but still caught the larger fish of the species mentioned.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've caught some of my better bass (4-6 pounds) on 3" wacky rigged senkos, fat senkos, and Yum Dingers.

·
Administrator
21,706 Posts
Frank: I've caught some big bass using the 3 inch TRD with the ned rig.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts