The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Size Matters
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully today was an indication of things to come as the fish seemed to be settling into a predictable Summer Pattern.

Jason and I had originally planned to fish one lake today but after he prefished it yesterday afternoon without much success we called an audible this morning whiile driving up and met at a different lake.

With water temps of 80 degrees and a nice cloud cover I started with a spinnerbait and he a topwater over the outside edge of the weeds. He was able to catch the only topwater fish of the day when we noticed that fish had herded some bait up against a weed edge.

I caught a smallmouth on a soft plastic almost simultaneously. The spinnerbait produced nothing all day. We then moved along and started to fish bottom baits rather than try to chase bait around the lake in a rowboat.

We each had independently chosen the same color plastic to start with based upon our experience on the particular lake and that proved to be the ticket for the day. I was suspicious when he caught the first bottom fish as that has been a missing bite since the pre spawn but it proved not to be one of Gregg's "liar fish" as subsequent similar weedbeds each kicked out a fish or two. The Pattern became pretty well defined as all of our bottom bite fish came from 10 FOW from sections of weeds that were nowhere near the shoreline and the bites came not from any special "wiggle" but rather from letting the bait sit until the fish picked it up and your line moved. This held up though at least six different locations and although we occasionally tried a different color only the one produced.

When we exhausted those locations we ended up catching our afternoon fish farther outside of the weed beds on a dropshot.

We totalled 16 fish for the day, probably 12 of them were largemouth.

Nice to get a solid and enjoyable day on the water.

JIM

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Nice to see the summer bite picking up As much I don't do it much , I just may be giving the drop a go , if it's a bass no show on the spinner bait and plastics in the shallow along with working the top water . Thanks for the report and sharing the photos .

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
As usual it was great getting out there with Jim on a lake we both like alot. It was the perfect audible as I had fished another resi I hadn't been to this year the day before and lucked into just one fish to keep the stink off... so we canned that place and hit one others had mentioned was starting to look better. The weather was great with clouds to keep us from roasting and a minimal breeze that let us fish areas the normally are difficult with a wind.

There was one tip to the pattern that Jim forgot to mention.... just leaving the bait on the bottom is not enough.... you need to actually be distracted with something else while this happens.... for instance - picking out a backlash, using the oars and not paying attention to your line, taking a sip of Gatorade... then with the right color lure (LOL) you'd have a fish... an no faking the lack of attention... the fish know difference!!!

J.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As usual it was great getting out there with Jim on a lake we both like alot. It was the perfect audible as I had fished another resi I hadn't been to this year the day before and lucked into just one fish to keep the stink off... so we canned that place and hit one others had mentioned was starting to look better. The weather was great with clouds to keep us from roasting and a minimal breeze that let us fish areas the normally are difficult with a wind.

There was one tip to the pattern that Jim forgot to mention.... just leaving the bait on the bottom is not enough.... you need to actually be distracted with something else while this happens.... for instance - picking out a backlash, using the oars and not paying attention to your line, taking a sip of Gatorade... then with the right color lure (LOL) you'd have a fish... an no faking the lack of attention... the fish know difference!!!

J.
Ain't this the truth

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Nice report and fish......Yeah we had fish following all day but not committing......was aggravating ....seems like they wanted a reaction bait only except right at sunup......got a few but it was slim pickings again this trip we just did(Wed)........I do believe night fishing(overnight) is the way to go right now but can't do that on the waters we fish, they close at sundown........bite during the day is few and far between.......great job in tough conditions....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts