The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a new rod & reel for this upcoming season, and I'm looking for some ideas. It would be for light line applications, like 6 & 8 pound test, so spinning gear only. I like 6'6" and 7' rods. I'd be especially interested in hearing from our W New York contigent, like what type of setups are used for tubing on Erie? A different, but related, additional question: if I wish to use fluorocarbon line on this setup, what brands are best? I've heard that fluoro is tough for spinning gear, are they all like that? If so, then how do the pros do it? Also, if a line is coated w/ fluorocarbon, is it as "invisible" under water as regular fluoro line? I have been following the Loomis/Smallmouth rods thread, I can pretty much confidently say that I have no wish to spend $300 or more on just one rod. That said, I can afford good equipment. Thanks in advance, I'm greatly looking forward to hearing all of your different thoughts.

Don

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don-

Most of the WNY smallie fishing with spinning gear for me is tube fishing, in particular, dragging tubes. I am a "Loomis Guy" all the way, but for dragging, I honestly don't prefer the Loomis blanks. I find them a tad faster than I prefer. I really like the 7' ML St Croix Avid (or Premier) with a 2000 or 2500 series shimiano (symetry or stradic). Something about the slow bouncy-squishy action of the St Croix works very well. Some guys also like the BPS Extreme in 7' ML, but I have not owned them.

I also use 10 lb Vanish Flouro...works fine on the spinning, no problems at all.

Seth V

·
8,124 Posts
Don,
It would be helpful if you could specify your budget for a spinning rod & reel !

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
i like the shimano stradics with an extreme or bionic blade rod... a favorite of many members here... and the 2500 is even smmother than the discontinued 2000...can't go wrong there... you can get the whole setup for around $160 at bass pro shops... and if you're buying from them online, click the liink on the bottom of the page to get there and NYBASS will get a small commission!

·
Registered
526 Posts
A good entry level rod would be a Shimano Compre 7' MH and a Stradic of the size you prefer...The 7 ft rod will afford you casting distance if you are fishing from shore or a boat...I like a big reel for this rod...I dont use the 2500 size any more...I use 4000s on my 7 footers and 2000 on my 6 - 6&1/2 footers...partly because I fish a lot of braid also...I dont fish with BPS or other storebrand rods...

FC is a problem on spinning gear with a lot of springy coiling, but less so with line like Yo-Zuri Hybrid which combines a blend of mono with FC...Besides, with FC, you may limit yourelf with that rod if you dont have a whole arsenal to support it...For instance, FC is poorly suited for topwater as it sinks quickly to make working a surface lure much more difficult...

I personally dont like the new Stradic 2500 (4+1 BB) or the Sustain 2500 (5+1 BB) as I dont like the security of the folding handle Vs the machined handles of the past...Also, I dont get as good of a cast with braid on the new reels as I do from the discontinued Stradic FG or Sustain FB series...I am told this has to do with the new super slow oscillation "line lay concept" (SSO)...The Magnesium Stradic does not use this concept and has a shallower spool...That may give you more universality overall should you go with a new Shimano...It should handle braid equally well as the older Stradics, Sustains and it is a little lighter...

If you want to go cheaper for a reel, a Symetre (3+1 BB)would be about bottom line, but try to get at least a Stradic...

A 7 ft MH and a good spinning reel will give you a great universal rod whether from a boat or shore...The Compre, Stradic and line should cost you about $200.00 if you shop...

Mark D

·
Outcast Tyrant
1,489 Posts
Try the XPS Flourocarbon

It is from Bass Pro and is Superior to Vanish. I fished the Vanish for half a day and threw it in the garbage. The XPS does not coil like a spring off your reel and is worth a try. Just my .02.
And as Mike said earlier use the link from this site when you buy from Bass Pro online!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
World Waters has the Shimano Compre CASTING rods on closeout for $39.99 at:
www.worldwaters.com

I know it does not apply to DonV, but thought maybe someone else might like the headsup. Seems like a decent deal to me.

ScottB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Excellent advice here, I really enjoyed reading the various comments. My choice in reels is a Stradic, which seems to be very popular on the board. I've had good luck with Daiwas and Quantums, and not so good luck with Pinnicle Deadbolts, but the Stradic is the best of all.

For rods, I use a Bass Pro Shops Extreme, in 6' (although I've recently ordered a Johnny Morris model to give it a try. It's on sale at $50 off). I find the 6' easier to handle, especially when skipping in tight areas, such as docks, etc.

Length and action are the too hardest areas to nail down, and it appears to have a lot to do with personal preference. I use a MH, but I wonder a lot if it's too stiff. Seth V. stated he likes a ML. Basserachi likes MH. In a post some time ago, another Western NY tube guy expressed a preference for MH. Hard to say what any one person may prefer (seems odd but I haven't seen any support for a Medium action).

I like the idea of FLuoro C, but not on Spinning, so I use either Mono or Hybird on Spinning (FC on some baitercasters, for worming, tubes, jigs, etc).

Please let us know what you finally decide. It will be interesting.

Joe K.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I own three 7' Medium action BPS Extremes and love them. They are the Woo Daves series, and the medium is a pretty stiff medium almost a MH. Paired with green 8 lb Berkely XL, I use these setups for tubes, senkos, mojo rigs, basically any light line application. There are at least two more of these rods on their way from BPS this winter.

I haven't used any other brands in a similar length and action but the BPS Extremes have performed very well the last few years for me.

I know Noel, WNYBASSMAN, uses vanish on his spinning rods. Hopefully he can expand on that.

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
99% percent of all my tube caught smallies (and there has been a couple of them) were caught on the following setup:

6' 6" St. Croix Premier medium light rod. A good sensitive rod that is vitually indestructable. My rods go through hell, and they keep on putting fish in the boat. Cost $75

Shimano 2000 Solstace or Syncopate with front drag. I like these cheaper reels because of the self centering feature with a trigger bail opener. This allows me to open and close the bail with one hand to let line out as needed (for dragging) while the other hand is safely in my warm pocket. I will switch hands occasionally to warm the other hand. Most dragging occurs in COLD weather. Cost $35-49

I use nothing but 8 lb Vanish on my smallie rods. Good abrasion resistance to zebra mussles combined with low stretch. I fill the entire spool with it, no leaders for me, I hate more knots than are really necessary. Vanish also has a natural "sink" to it, meaning I can fish lighter weights even deeper, although 3/8 ounce is my "go to" weight. But I can fish that 3/8 ounce on a fairly windy day with 5-6 footers in 46 feet of water on Erie, as proven during the Federation event this year. Cost $8-9

Even though this gear is pretty inexpensive, it is by far the best gear I have. I don't spend nearly as much for my largemouth equipment :eek:

As a side note, the above gear also doubles as my dock skipping outfit for largemouth. Yes, even with the 8 lb test!!! Hook them first, then worry about getting them out. Fortunately, I have lost very few over the years. Also, that same outfit, rigged with 6 lb. Vanish, triples as my early season open water perch fishing. It is a very good combo for me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I was hoping for, a lot of good, solid choices, with sound reasoning. I use a 7' ML St Croix Avid rod for throwing unweighted Senkos around, it is the only St Croix I've ever had, it has so far done me well, even though it looks like I ought to be whipping flies around my head w/ it. Almost all of my many reels are Shimanos, they just work well for me. It is interesting to note that wnybassman choices the "cheaper" reels. I would think that the more expensive ones would be better, though I've not yet had the pleasure of "dragging", and I know that many times, cheaper means less expensive, not worse. I have lots of BPS rods, they are good. I've not tried the Johnny Morris models, but I was just looking at them, in the catalog, yesterday. Bass Stalker, I can pretty much buy whichever I decide on. I work many, many hours of overtime this time of year. I use these funds to fuel my fishing addiction. That said, I still just can not imagine spending $500 or more on one spinning setup. Thank you all for your imput, please feel free to comment some more. I've got some thinking to do, before I begin ordering stuff. I'm getting the feeling that more than one setup is going to come from this. I'll let you know. By the way, there is a link for NYBASS on the bottom of the BPS online order form? Has it been there long? I never noticed. Does this work for all orders?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<sigh> That "choices" should obviously be chooses. Did I mention that I work long hours, so I'm frequently tired? My bad....

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Yes, by "cheap" I mean "inexpensive" LOL!!

For years I used the Shimano TX2000. This was a reel at WalMart that cost about $20-25. Even though it is on the extreme low end of price range, it had a nice smooth drag and very smooth action. I would get about three years out of them before they showed any signs of wear (Note: with zero maintainance) Breaking it down, that's about $8 a year!!! How can you go wrong? Many, many 4 lb plus smallies were caught on those reels.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I didn't mention the reel, I also go with a "cheapie". A Quantum SX3 that runs around $25. It also has the trigger release which is great for dragging as Noel described, but I find it convient for casting as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
St Croix Blanks

I have been using St croix blanks for the last few years. For tube fishing I like a 6'6" ML blank.

I have also used the "inexpensive" Shimano reels for a few years. They have worked really good for me.

Last year I purchased four Quantum spinning reels at Gander Mountain in Erie PA. They are nice smooth reels, but I really do not like them. The antireverse on one is not positive and sometimes switches over. The line pickup tends to tangle the line every once in a while.

I have not used a flourocarbon except as a leader on my braided lines. So far I really like it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For draggin' I use a 6'6" Med St Croix with a Diawa Regal 2500. Cheap reel, but I don't do that much draggin (only in the fall). The rod was 85 and the reel is 50 full price, but I got it half off. It's a decent rod from what I can tell so far. I got it this past August. I think it could use a few more guides, but that can be dealt with.

For line, I used 8lb TrileneXL this year. I will continue with that next year and have 6lb on another interchangable spool. Hope that helps....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In between chasing around the falling snow last night, I was looking through the BPS 2004 catalog. In it, I found these listed for graphite rods:

HM-85
HM-54
IM-8
85 million modulus
46 million modulus
HSX44
IM-6
96%
IM10X

Anybody got a decent explanation (layman's terms, please) as to what these might mean? I think that I have a grasp of it, but if I'm wrong, I might be way wrong. How much more sensitive is an IM-8 than an IM-6? Also, G Loomis and St Croix did not list theirs, anyone know roughly what they might be?

I'm also still wondering what the difference might be between a fluorocarbon line, like P-Line Fluorocarbon, and a line like P-Line Fluoroclear, which is coated w/ fluorocarbon. Do these share the same characteristics? I'm thinking that something must be different. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Don

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I've ordered a 7' MXF spinning rod from Furnace Bay. I'm looking at putting a Biomaster reel w/ it. Now, as I "knew" would happen, I'm looking for another setup. It looks like lots of us like Shimano reels, myself included, but I'd like to hear about some others, if anyone has experienced them or heard about them. They are:
Johnny Morris reel (JMX2500)
BPS Pro Qualifier (PQX2500)
Daiwa Advantage, Capricorn, BG, Tx Series, Laguna
Quantum Energy, Catalyst, Kinetic

Also, how about these rods and/or combos:
Johnny Morris rods & combos
BPS Pro Qualifier rods & combos
St Croix Premier rods
Shimano Compre rods
Falcon Silver Series rods
Allstar American Classic rods
Team Allstar rods

And finally, has anyone received a Northern Bass Supply catalog yet? If not, could someone tell me please where I can buy some more Tectan 8.8 and 11 pound line? Oops, leads me to yet another question: Anyone heard of or used a Japanese fluorocarbon line called Toray?

Many thanks!

Don

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don,

Lots of good questions.

I just got two of the Jhonny Morris rods while they were on sale, a 6' MH spinning rod, and a 6'6" MH trigger. These rods have a new feature called a positive lock reel seat that I think I'm going to like. The rods feel very good, especially the spinning rod. Both seem a little stiffer than other MHs. I'm wondering if I should have gotten the spinning rod in a M action. The only real concern that I have is that the trigger rod feels quite a bit heavier than I expected, but since I always use rod weights this is probably not going to matter.

The modulus issue is a tough one. A few years ago I tried to figure it out. After a while I decided it wasn't woth the effort as many of the terms are just made up terms to give the rod a little marketing hype. Sorry, can't help there.

As far as the reels, I got 2 of the Pro Qualifier reels a couple of years ago, PQ20XPS. They felt pretty good but seemed to cause a lot of line twist. I ended up replacing them during the season and intending to get back to them later to better figure out the problem, but still haven't. The ones I have are 6.2:1 ratio. I noticed last year in the catalogue that they were now 5.2:1 ratio. I wonder if that may have been part of solving the line twist problem. In any case, it's a good looking reel, but I can't recommend it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Quantum Kinetic PTi is a great reel. I think the feel of it is as good as the Stratic. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bail can not be opened straight down. It has to be slightly off-center. Otherwise it's great. On the less expensive side, I really like the Daiwa Regal Zs. I have a 2500c and a 3500C (10 yrs old) and both have been real workhorses.

As far as line, P-line Fluoraclear is a Hybrid line, like YoZuri. Basically it's a mono core with a fluorocarbon exterior finish, kind of like a line within a line. It's generally a little softer (less stiff off the reel) than fluorocarbon, with a little more strech and a little more bouancy. This is from the nylon core. The fluorocarbon finish makes is considerable less visible under water than mono. Not quite as invisible as fluorocarbon, but very close. What's particularily confusing is the different processes in mono to begin with (polymers, copolymers, etc.) which may or not be used as the core. There's a lot of new technology hitting the markets now (like Iron Silk - I don't think this is fluoro-coated, it's a new and different process, still mono, but different).

Best advise is to try a few of the lines to see if you like them. I like both YoZuri and P-line Fluoroclear on some Spinning applications (whacky senkos, finesse texas rigs, tubes, etc) because it sinks better than mono and is less visible. For most Texas rigged Senkos I like a braid with a short fluorocarbon leader (Great for brush, docks, etc., helps keep the sink rate slow, no-strech hook-sets, only problem is poor abrasion with braid, hence the short fluorocarbon leader). I like Fluorocarbon for baitcasting texas rigs, mono for most treble hooks (crankbaits, topwaters), hybrid for spinnerbaits/jerkbaits/rattletraps, etc., and braided line for Rats/Frogs. Good luck with the hybrid. As you know, everyone's solution set is different.

See ya,

Joe K

1 - 19 of 19 Posts